PDA

View Full Version : Doritos- they've made them "better tasting"

Dynasty
04-18-2005, 01:02 AM
Doritos, my favorite chips, have been given a subtle change to their taste. They seem to be a bit more spicier and a little less cheesier. (there's probably a better way to describe it).

Anyhow, I don't think I like it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/crybaby.gif Doritos were just fine the way they were. I think this sucks.

tdarko
04-18-2005, 01:03 AM
i like them.

[censored]
04-18-2005, 01:05 AM
It is a good thing you are not talking about the Nacho Cheese Doritoes because I would freak out. They are my absolute favorite snack and they are perfect how they are.

Dynasty
04-18-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is a good thing you are not talking about the Nacho Cheese Doritoes because I would freak out. They are my absolute favorite snack and they are perfect how they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am. I'm talking about the Nacho Chees Doritos, the "normal" Doritos,- not one of the special flavors.

tdarko
04-18-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
not one of the special flavors.

[/ QUOTE ]
the original nacho cheese is the special kind.

SCfuji
04-18-2005, 01:36 AM
do you remember the olden days doritos? the tortilla chips were more like tortilla chips. i forget how long ago they made the change but the chips arent as good now.

Victor
04-18-2005, 01:40 AM
typical conservative....

wacki
04-18-2005, 01:41 AM
Why are business people so stupid? Why do they stop selling regular coke and force new coke on us? Now they repeat history with Doritos? Why don't they simple add it to the menu? Give us a [censored] option damnit!!!!!

Why, why, why do they repeat history?

tdarko
04-18-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why are business people so stupid? Why do they stop selling regular coke and force new coke on us? Now they repeat history with Doritos? Why don't they simple add it to the menu? Give us a [censored] option damnit!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
you alright wacki?

[censored]
04-18-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am. I'm talking about the Nacho Chees Doritos, the "normal" Doritos,- not one of the special flavors.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]. off the store. I will have a trip report shortly.

wacki
04-18-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
typical conservative....

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical snooty stuckup appeasing liberal that is destined to repeat the mistakes of history over and over and over because some pretty graph makes more sense to him then the real world.

wacki
04-18-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you alright wacki?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Dynasty
04-18-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you find some of the old Doritos. But, unlike "Old Coke", you can't stock up on Doritos and ration them out to yourself.

tdarko
04-18-2005, 01:49 AM
understandable--i was this bitter when my favorite mexican food joint moved across the [censored] town the other day.

wacki
04-18-2005, 01:53 AM
Ehhhh, I'm actually not upset. Before the inspiration given to me via this thread, I haven't had Doritos in years. Still, I just don't get why CEO's make some of the decisions they do. I feel bad for Dynasty more than anything else.

Gotta love it.

scotty34
04-18-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you find some of the old Doritos. But, unlike "Old Coke", you can't stock up on Doritos and ration them out to yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?? they changed Coke? When did this happen? I must be living under a rock (or in Canada). Please tell me this is in the US only.

Dynasty
04-18-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What?? they changed Coke? When did this happen? I must be living under a rock (or in Canada). Please tell me this is in the US only.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just young. In happened back in the mid 1980's.

After a big fuss was made by Coke drinkers, Coca Cola brought back the original formula as Coca Cola Classic. Eventually, New Coke just disappeared and only the orginal formula was sold.

lighterjobs
04-18-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do you remember the olden days doritos? the tortilla chips were more like tortilla chips. i forget how long ago they made the change but the chips arent as good now.

[/ QUOTE ]

the old ones were like corn chip doritos with the powdery cheese you put on macaroni sprinkled on them. good stuff.

Victor
04-18-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

typical conservative....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Typical snooty stuckup appeasing liberal that is destined to repeat the mistakes of history over and over and over because some pretty graph makes more sense to him then the real world.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahaha.

did i touch a nerve. stop being so sensitive; thats for the liberals.

anyway, i thought the definition of a conservative was one who opposes change, ergo my assessment.

scotty34
04-18-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After a big fuss was made by Coke drinkers, Coca Cola brought back the original formula as Coca Cola Classic. Eventually, New Coke just disappeared and only the orginal formula was sold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhh... you guys scared me for a minute there.

wacki
04-18-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hahahahahaha.

did i touch a nerve. stop being so sensitive; thats for the liberals.

anyway, i thought the definition of a conservative was one who opposes change, ergo my assessment.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I've been called a neocon for my stances on foreign politics and a gronola dick for my stances on energy/global warming. I've also been called a hippy for my stance on the war on drugs and a pussy liberal for my stance on the death penalty. I am a liberal neocon hippy with a girlfriend that never has to worry about getting enough fiber.

I was simply having fun.

Dynasty
04-18-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhh... you guys scared me for a minute there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the story.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/newcoke.asp

Victor
04-18-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was simply having fun

[/ QUOTE ]

me too

[censored]
04-18-2005, 02:24 AM
Well this is a problem.

[censored] [censored] [censored]

I'm depressed now.

tdarko
04-18-2005, 02:27 AM
i dont think they are that bad but of course i just "liked" doritos, i didnt love them. any BBQ chips and cheetos are my poison.

wacki
04-18-2005, 02:27 AM
Were they out of the old ones?

DcifrThs
04-18-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Futurama episode parodying the above event:

[Slurm factory]
Worker: But your majesty, his slurm will taste foul.
Queen: Yes, and when everyone hates it, we'll simply sell them the old slurm under a new name and make millions.

-Barron

[censored]
04-18-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume, Safeway had a whole front display thing and I just took from there.

Dynasty
04-18-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume, Safeway had a whole front display thing and I just took from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The new Doritos don't taste bad. They're just not as good.

They also seem to have an aftertaste which lingers too long.

[censored]
04-18-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya exactly, it's not bad just different. It sucks because my favorite combo was Nacho Cheese doritoes + tostitoes salsa. This new less cheesy more spicy thing is going to the throw the whole cheese-salse mix off....and that sucks.

The Truth
04-18-2005, 02:57 AM
now i want to try "new" coke.

CORed
04-18-2005, 01:51 PM
I've always wondered if Coke had just changed their formula and said nothing if anyone would have noticed the difference. The "New Coke" was a little under-carbonated, though.

Nottom
04-19-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've always wondered if Coke had just changed their formula and said nothing if anyone would have noticed the difference. The "New Coke" was a little under-carbonated, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be one of those people who can't tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi if you are asking this.

felson
04-19-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, in the months leading up to New Coke, they did quietly tinker with the Coke formula, making it sweeter and less harsh, and the market was responding well.

Dynasty
05-01-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well this is a problem.

I'm depressed now.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored],

You should give the baked nacho cheesier Doritos a try.

daryn
05-02-2005, 07:17 PM
the taco bell doritos were the best.. the ones in the orange bag.

tech
05-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Two words: New Coke. (although sadly the majority of OOT posters will probably have no clue what that is).

scottv
05-02-2005, 07:21 PM
I really like the Cool Ranch ones

daryn
05-02-2005, 07:22 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Two words: New Coke. (although sadly the majority of OOT posters will probably have no clue what that is).

[/ QUOTE ]

new coke was actually the smartest thing ever done by a corporation. few people realize this.

Non_Comformist
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were my father's favorite chips. He still resents Nacho Cheese Doritoes for basically replacing them.

I think they were the actual original Doritoes, and came out before "original" or plain.

tbach24
Doritos, yum http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/images/smiles/drool.gif http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/images/smiles/drool.gif http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/images/smiles/drool.gif

tech
05-02-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
new coke was actually the smartest thing ever done by a corporation. few people realize this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Well, maybe not the smartest, but it ranks pretty high up there. Hmmmmm, this could be worth a separate thread.

daryn
05-02-2005, 07:24 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were my father's favorite chips. He still resents Nacho Cheese Doritoes for basically replacing them.

I think they were the actual original Doritoes, and came out before "original" or plain.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? the original nacho cheese doritos were out wayyyy before the taco bell ones. the taco bell doritos were like, a special thing and have since faded.

Non_Comformist
05-02-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? the original nacho cheese doritos were out wayyyy before the taco bell ones. the taco bell doritos were like, a special thing and have since faded.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original Orange bag doritoes were called Taco, which I think later were used as Taco Bell. In any event the original doritos came in a orange bag and were called taco flavored. This article covers it nicely
history or doritos (http://www.post-gazette.com/columnists/20040107gene0107p1.asp)

Non_Comformist
05-02-2005, 07:33 PM
http://www.fritolay.com/images/cm/doritos-taco.gif

Dead
05-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Cool Ranch is clearly the best flavor.

Nacho Cheese makes my fingers all cheesy and it's hard to get that [censored] off.

I poop on NC doritos.

tbach24
05-02-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Spicier nacho is clearly the best flavor.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

FWIW, Guacamole is a distant second, but much better than the rest

Dead
05-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Any Dorito chip with cheese is the suck.

tbach24
05-02-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any Dorito chip with cheese is the suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's just something wrong about typing "is the suck."

It's either "= the suck" or something else.

Anyways you're wrong.

Dead
05-02-2005, 09:07 PM
I hope Boston loses.

Then maybe you will cry. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

contentless
05-02-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dead sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Dead
05-02-2005, 09:12 PM
So genius.

You're a god.

daryn
05-02-2005, 09:21 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The original Orange bag doritoes were called Taco, which I think later were used as Taco Bell. In any event the original doritos came in a orange bag and were called taco flavored. This article covers it nicely
history or doritos (http://www.post-gazette.com/columnists/20040107gene0107p1.asp)

[/ QUOTE ]

nice history of doritos lesson /images/graemlins/smile.gif

but are they the same as the taco bell ones? sadly we may never know /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Blarg
05-02-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the old ones were like corn chip doritos with the powdery cheese you put on macaroni sprinkled on them. good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really eat chips, but I always loved that kind of doritos. I had no idea they had ever changed.

Blarg
05-02-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They also seem to have an aftertaste which lingers too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh that's death.

And usually a hint that some foul chemical flavoring has been added in.

Blarg
05-02-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they would have. A little change goes a long way. The thing is though, that Pepsi is so much sweeter than Coke that they would have had to change Coke a lot to knock it out of its flavor niche and make people turn to a competitor.

They were trying to abandon their niche to zero in on a different one, since Pepsi sold far better in many foreign countries than Coke because of its sweetness. But it turned out that if people wanted a sweeter Coke, they would have been drinking Pepsi in the first place. And thus ensued a pretty unique and cool consumer protest.

I'm not sure that Coke hasn't made their product surreptitiously sweeter these days anyway, though. It seems a bit sweeter to me.

[censored]
07-28-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well this is a problem.

I'm depressed now.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored],

You should give the baked nacho cheesier Doritos a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went shopping and spotted these today. Great call much better than the 0 fat "better tasting" atrocity.

Dynasty
07-28-2005, 01:24 AM
I like the new Doritos. But, I'm not buying them as often as the old ones. Instead, I seem to be having more popcorn as a snack.

http://www.newmansown.com/NEWimages/4D1_butterboom_01.gif

dawade
07-28-2005, 04:01 AM
I work at Frito Lay and based on my highly unplesant working evironment have placed myself on a personal ban from ever eating any Frito Lay based product ever again!

jakethebake
07-28-2005, 09:03 AM
I don't like them. They take perfectly good corn chips and cover them with a pound of some kind of nasty orange MSG-filled spice crap. It ruins them for dipping, for nachos, or anything else I like to do with chips. Plus my fingers get covered with that orange crap.

samjjones
07-28-2005, 09:12 AM
I'm sure all of the "old-timers" here remember the way Doritos used to taste. The best part was the solid chunks of nacho cheese that used to gather at the bottom of the bag. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I think they changed their manufacturing process in the late 80's/early 90's.

WDC
07-28-2005, 09:14 AM
they turned it in to Pepsi?

codewarrior
07-28-2005, 09:17 AM
It seems to me they started fiddling with the formula about a year ago. I don't like it. The last bag I bought was damn near inedible.