PDA

View Full Version : NL200 AKo vs LAG

MarkL444
04-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($151.25)
Hero ($197.9)
UTG ($516.73)
MP ($816.65)
CO ($24.65)
Button ($241.2)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $7</font>, CO pushes for ~25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $50</font>, MP calls $43.

Flop: ($101) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

I lead $75, he minraises me all in, I call.

Main Villain is real laggy, 65/20 pf, and aggresive postflop. FIrst all in guy was slightly loose and a little passive. THoughts?

COnvereter messed up, but I think I fixed it right.

MarkL444
04-17-2005, 11:24 PM
i know this might seem real normal, so there may not be comment needed. just tell me if it looks good.

TheWorstPlayer
04-17-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm really not sure if we can call this standard...

If you're trying to isolate the all-in guy, then I think the preflop re-raise is fine, but I don't think I would lead at the flop. I know there is a non-dry side pot, but a free card can only help you here and I would rather see you check/raise all-in than call an all-in. What was your rationale for leading at the flop? Hoping he would fold and you would at least win the side pot, if not scooping? I think since he has already called a raise and a re0-raise preflop there is very little chance he is folding an all-unders flop. If I had AA here, I would certainly check/raise all-in, so I think that is probably the better play with AK, too. Interesting hand, though, hope it worked out for you.

MarkL444
04-17-2005, 11:39 PM
at the time of my preflop raise i was thinking
-if the lag folds and i get heads up with this shortstack (who i could easily be ahead of) with some dead money, thatll be nice.
-the lag could easily call this raise with a worse hand

i know thats a big percentage of my stack, and i dont have position, but i thought i was making a lot of money on my preflop play alone

TheWorstPlayer
04-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Sounds good preflop, but if the LAG has AQ, he is going to fold this flop most likely and you will lose value over check/raising (no need to worry about the free card since he is drawing to three outs) and if he has JJ you are not getting him to lay down by leading, but have at least SOME chance of doing so by check/raising. I like your preflop play, though.

MarkL444
04-17-2005, 11:42 PM
do you guys think just pushing preflop is better than my play here?

MarkL444
04-18-2005, 12:36 AM
k, thanks for the tips. he had K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif, so i ended up getting a lot of money in with the best hand.

ThePortuguee
04-18-2005, 12:36 AM
The preflop re-raise is fine if what you're doing is trying to isolate the all-in, and you're hoping that MP folds. After that, I dont like the way the hand played out at all.

Do we really think MP calls a reraise from the cutoff, and re-reraise from the Hero, with AQ? I don't, and because of that I'm surprised that nobody here has even mentioned the possibility of giving up on the hand when you're called. I just don't really think the Hero can be ahead here, because what, exactly, are we putting MP on?

I put the MP on a pocketpair higher than TT, maybe AKs or AKo if the Hero is lucky. If you have some way to put MP on AK, then check-raise the flop all in, and this way if he calls you chop wahtever portion of the pot you two end up winning and dont lose anything. If he folds you win his bet. Lead-pushing is marginal: you might get AK to fold and therefore not only win the side pot but also have a better shot at scooping, but the problem here is that usually, when you're called, you're way behind, at the very best chopping. No way AQ calls a push there. Maybe JJ or QQ mucks but I'm very, very skeptical about that possibility.

But all of this assumes that there's a strong possibility he doesnt have AA, KK, or QQ, and I feel as if, barring any reads, there's a strong chance he does. He's smooth-called two reraises, and that's a pretty decent line to take with AA given that, since our Hero has re-raised, he can expect the hero to fire at the flop, allowing him to almost force the hero all-into a pot where he is drawing very, very slim. And the hero played into his hands by firing small at the flop.

I'm not recommending a specific line here but offering some food for thought... I realyl think that it's possible that the best play here is to give up on this hand and check/fold the flop. When MP smooth calls a re-raraise, I doubt he's doing so with a purely speculative hand. maybe I'm wrong, and I realize that the pot is big, and Im interested to hear everyone's feedback... but I feel like the way the hand played out was that the hero was shown an overpair to the board by MP and lost the pot.

EDIT: LoL, well okay, I'm wrong, says the post which took place seconds before mine, but Im going to sit here with my arms crossed in front of my chest maintaining that my thoughts are valid...

MarkL444
04-18-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: LoL, well okay, I'm wrong, says the post which took place seconds before mine, but Im going to sit here with my arms crossed in front of my chest maintaining that my thoughts are valid...

[/ QUOTE ]

your thoughts are valid, perhaps i didnt describe him well enough. hes a nutjob. likes playing big pots.

TrailofTears
04-18-2005, 12:56 AM
Maybe I missed it, but did your hand hold up? Your tone implies no, but internet tone means nothing.

-Trail

MarkL444
04-18-2005, 01:10 AM
no, he caught a heart on the river. meh.