PDA

View Full Version : Near the $ with AJ

chopchoi
04-17-2005, 11:09 PM
NL SNG. 4 handed. Blinds 100-200. UTG has about 6,500. Button has 750, I'm SB with 2,750, BB has 3,500. Big stack has been raising to 3x BB every 2 or 3 hands. I have AJo, and Big stack raises to 600. Button folds. I...

TheUsher
04-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Only really have 2 options:

Fold - if you don't want to play up against big stack with the smallish stack there.
Call - see a flop and play it from there.

You should be asking yourself what the reasons are why you'd like to play this hand and to evaluate all the factors that come with it. You're obviously not shortstacked so, it's up to you.

TruFloridaGator
04-17-2005, 11:42 PM
I like a fold here.

citanul
04-17-2005, 11:53 PM
wtf, he has more options than those two. i think calling stinks way worse than pushing. i could be wrong, but saying "you only have 2 options" and then including one that leaves you playing post flop out of position 2/3 of the time with no pair and Ace high is at minimum what could be called "sissy analysis" in response to the OP's post.

citanul

Matt Walker
04-17-2005, 11:55 PM
I think the key consideration here is how many hands hes likely to call you with. Has anyone come over the top of his raises before? If so how did he act? If you feel he is likely to call with any two then I think its a fold. Your prob looking at beating him 60/40, though on a few hands he dominates you and few hands you dominated him. With the small blind having a couple more orbits at best, I prob muck, baring any read, and wait for either a better spot or for the SS to die

TruFloridaGator
04-17-2005, 11:59 PM
Yeah agreed, I said fold, but that would be the general rule for me. It's majorly read based.

Daliman
04-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Push back.

TheUsher
04-18-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf, he has more options than those two. i think calling stinks way worse than pushing. i could be wrong, but saying "you only have 2 options" and then including one that leaves you playing post flop out of position 2/3 of the time with no pair and Ace high is at minimum what could be called "sissy analysis" in response to the OP's post.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

As always, there's a difference of opinions for everyone but those were my own 2 options. I wouldn't at all say who's right here since it could also depend on more information than what we're being provided, and I could most likely be wrong here too. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pushing would seem worse to me here, as I've been doing it lots of times in the past and regretting it in these situations. Since the stacks are still pretty decent, playing OOP would be easier for me here. Would this type of hand be the same as him pushing all-in in the beginning and then calling with AJ? Obviously that would totally ignore the fold equity from the opponent, but in my eyes, it's a little similar.

Perhaps I might be missing some equity late in the game but these are one of those situations I might feel better in just staying on the sidelines. It's all read-based though and I'd have no qualms on pushing this if I felt necessary based of prior actions I've seen from them. It's really hard commenting on some hands without actually being there.

chopchoi
04-18-2005, 12:52 AM
Thanks, guys. I had come over the top twice already, and he folded both times. I got the feeling he was getting sick of it, and might call this time, so I folded.

Anyway, I went on to win. Big stack came in 3rd. I took him out on a similar play. He raised, I played back w/ 99, and he called w/ A9.

TheUsher
04-18-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, guys. I had come over the top twice already, and he folded both times. I got the feeling he was getting sick of it, and might call this time, so I folded.

I went on to win. Big stack came in 3rd.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^ this adds to my statement above where it's hard saying how to play some hands without being there and knowing this important info. I'd be even more hesitant to push over the top here if I did it a few times already in the past.

lutefisk
04-18-2005, 10:04 AM
I think I like the push even more if you think he's getting sick of you re-raising. It's awesome if he calls with something like KT, or even better, Ax. If he's been betting that often, I don't think it's reasonable to put him on a hand that has you beat by worse than a coinflip situation. Again, this is entirely based on his previous aggression.

lorinda
04-18-2005, 10:07 AM
It's awesome if he calls with something like KT

I suspect it isn't.

Lori

lastchance
04-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Calling a sixth of your stack out of position sucks unless you are going stop and go.

IMHO, Push or fold for me. Depending on my read and how gutsy I've been and want to be, I fold this 60% of the time, Push probably 40% of the time.

Poisson7
04-18-2005, 10:10 AM
I thought Harrington's point was that given someone super-aggressive who is making too many raises, you either want to rope-a-dope (call him off) or reraise -- but the most important issue is that the quality of hand you need to do so drops. Since you're out of position, I would push.