PDA

View Full Version : Excel newbie + Aleo spreadsheet question

Blarg
04-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Everyone is raving about Aleo's spreadsheet, but I don't know anything about Excel. I'm wondering what the best way to get Excel capability is.

I went to Newegg's site to check prices etc. and notice Excel goes for over 200 bucks as a standalone, and if you get it with MS Office, you're going well over 300 bucks. Honestly, I'm hesitant to spend 300 bucks on a spreadsheet when I haven't even earned 300 bucks in SNG's. I also noticed it was 2003 this and that for the software packages -- Excel 2003 etc. Yet we're well into 2005 already.

I'm all the more hesitant to spend $200 plus if I'm getting something Microsoft is going to upgrade in a couple months; I mean I don't want to have to pay a hundred dollar upgrade fee right after I buy a new program, ya know.

Anyway, does anyone think I should wait a while before purchasing? I'm wondering where the hell Excel 2004 or 2005 is, and feeling weird about pumping hundreds of bucks into a soon to be outdated version.

1C5
04-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Someone tell this man how to get Excel for free.

strelok
04-17-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone tell this man how to get Excel for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

warez lol

Slim Pickens
04-17-2005, 11:41 PM
I love the spreadsheet but please, please, don't pay any money for a capability you should be able to have for free. Either steal Excel or use Hood's SNG Tracker, but if you buy Excel for the sole purpose of using the AM Spreadsheet you'll be disappointed.

Slim

Mr_J
04-17-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
use Hood's SNG Tracker

[/ QUOTE ]

dfscott
04-17-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love the spreadsheet but please, please, don't pay any money for a capability you should be able to have for free. Either steal Excel or use Hood's SNG Tracker, but if you buy Excel for the sole purpose of using the AM Spreadsheet you'll be disappointed.

Slim

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I love Excel because I'm such a tweaker, but my company pays for it. If I was footing the bill, there's no way I'd buy it. I think SNG Tracker does just about everything the AM spreadsheet does, and it's just a matter of time before it does more, I expect.

Slim Pickens
04-18-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think SNG Tracker does just about everything the AM spreadsheet does, and it's just a matter of time before it does more, I expect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. The SNG Tracker will only get better, but now it won't import my elapsed time at all and I have no clue how to fix it, plus I can't add on random things like I can in Excel. With the new auto-PT-import functionality, I feel like both methods of recordkeeping are equally good, so people should use whatever suits their personal needs best. Certainly if the cost of Excel is an issue, no single spreadsheet could be good enough to justify the $300 all by itself.

Slim

Blarg
04-18-2005, 01:04 AM
Do any of you guys have Statking or have any opinions about using that for SNG's?