PDA

View Full Version : do all the assclowns play 20+2 ? (no poker content)

Skipbidder
04-17-2005, 09:47 PM
I started playing the no-limit SNGs fairly recently. There seem to be an awful lot of comments from opponents at 20+2 regarding my all-in bubble pushes. I am apparently: A) the worst poker player ever; B) the luckiest SOB ever; and C) a complete f_ing rookie. My opponents would also like me to be aware that the all-in play works every time but once. They also frequently counsel others at the table to call my BS.

I don't believe that this is putting me on tilt at all, but it does make the game less enjoyable. I don't remember this from the 10+1s, and I don't remember it in the limit SNGs either (anywhere from 10+1 to 100+9). I understand that the comparison to limit isn't so valid, since the all-in push isn't available.

Do I get to look forward to this continuing as I move up, or is this a feature of the 20s, or is this simply a small sample size of assclown clumping?

Apathy
04-17-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They also frequently counsel others at the table to call my BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on how they say it this is borderline collusion and should be reported.

lorinda
04-17-2005, 09:54 PM
A) the worst poker player ever; B) the luckiest SOB ever; and C) a complete f_ing rookie

Congratulations, you scored 100% on the "Am I a winning player" test.

Lori

microbet
04-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure I played very well yesterday. I wasn't called an idiot or a moron once. The best I got were a few "lol's" and few people saying "call".

Benholio
04-17-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My opponents would also like me to be aware that the all-in play works every time but once.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sometimes argue this point, explaining that I've had it fail 2, 3, even 4 times in the same tourney before.

You should be worried if you AREN'T getting comments like this.

eastbay
04-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Just turn off chat and collect their f-ing money.

BTW, you will get this through at least $109 (I don't play $215, maybe it happens there too). There is a little less "all in works every time but once" though.

eastbay

icetonez
04-17-2005, 10:04 PM
I just happened to come across a classy simp on the 20's. HU 250/500 blinds and he called me gutsy for pushing with 94o. I think he was just being nice though...:( I then told him I'm only cool and brave when $40 is on the line and that I'm a total wimp in real life.

Shilly
04-17-2005, 10:08 PM
I find it quite enjoyable and humorous. I also enjoy their lack of knowledge about pot odds.

Blarg
04-17-2005, 10:35 PM
You encourage it if you respond.

Then again, that can be fun sometimes, if you can get a running argument going while using the stupidest, lamest reasoning possible for whatever you're doing and insist you're right. I don't generally do this, but it can be pretty hilarious if you give in every once in a while and drive the bums crazy that way. Not to mention, you can almost create a riot if you flash your cards at the right time in these scenarios. Sometimes it's a little fun to be a bad boy.

yanicehand
04-17-2005, 10:38 PM
people talking like that give you a nice "tell" that they are absolutely terrible. also, using the "silent chat" button can be golden. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Newt_Buggs
04-17-2005, 10:41 PM
I was going to start a thread on this, but this is a good time to ask. I play the 20's/30's and will sometimes watch my roommate play the 100s. It could easily be a small sample size, but when I watch the 100s it seems like people say antagonizing things even more. We theorized that at the 20's when people talk sh*t its just because they're stupid, but at the 100s a lot more people are intentionally trying to put their opponents on tilt. Am I just imagining things?

DasLeben
04-17-2005, 10:42 PM
I get this aaaall the time. I love it. I've been called all sorts of names. I just smile and push again. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I did actually receive a compliment on my play today by a guy that I was HU with. He said that he admired my use of aggression.

...Then he won. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Newt_Buggs
04-17-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Then again, that can be fun sometimes, if you can get a running argument going while using the stupidest, lamest reasoning possible for whatever you're doing and insist you're right.

[/ QUOTE ]

one of my favorites: "Hey, sometimes you just have to do what feels right. I can't help it if I have better instincts than you guys"

anyone else have any good ones?

viennagreen
04-17-2005, 11:37 PM
whatever you do, please don't be educating them.

it's much better to reply "long night of drinking" or something to that effect.

Skipbidder
04-17-2005, 11:41 PM
I haven't been saying anything most of the time. This weekend, I've been saying:
"I can't help that they keep dealing me pocket aces."

I'll probably go back to saying nothing.

TruFloridaGator
04-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Not if you explained what was really going on that they would understand. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slim Pickens
04-18-2005, 12:11 AM
Take it as a compliment. You're taking their money (in the long run at least) by playing that way and if they're too emotionally tied to their idea of "good poker" to understand it then you a better person at poker, and probably at life.

[ QUOTE ]
I also enjoy their lack of knowledge about pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]
My favorite was calling a short stack all-in off the BB with 86s for 500 chips getting 3:1 pot odds closing the action for good. The board paired twice with an ace so we split, his dominating K4o failing to beat me. The whole table came down on me for an idiot call, which I defended with "It was suited, so that makes it twice as good." That's when I realized I had a better understanding of the game than the three of them combined. It was a good feeling.

Slim

Slim Pickens
04-18-2005, 12:12 AM
Yeah, they don't understand. Plus I (correctly) felt stupid after trying to "teach at the table," so I gave that up.

gasgod
04-18-2005, 12:16 AM
My standard line is: "I got lucky". And, lots of times, it's true.

GG

tech
04-18-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe that this is putting me on tilt at all

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Read your post again.

dfscott
04-18-2005, 12:25 AM
The turning point for me feeling good about my play was the the SnG where I got this:

u absolutely suck dfscott
i had you beat
every time
u are just lucky as #$##

Made me feel all warm inside. I thought about printing it out and framing it. Sort of like your first dollar.

Skipbidder
04-18-2005, 12:36 AM
I don't believe that it is affecting my play. Obviously I could be wrong.

Kanchi
04-18-2005, 12:38 AM
I got called a 'stupid [censored] jewfag' once.

Yeah they all say 'you don't know how to play poker, just steal blinds', 'do you do anything else?', etc.

What sucks is when they tilt call with 95o and you actually have a hand like JJ and finish OTM >.<

Blarg
04-18-2005, 12:46 AM
"Any two can win" always works.

Blarg
04-18-2005, 12:50 AM
hahaha, that's pretty good - a badge of honor!

J-Lo
04-18-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The turning point for me feeling good about my play was the the SnG where I got this:

u absolutely suck dfscott
i had you beat
every time
u are just lucky as #$##

Made me feel all warm inside. I thought about printing it out and framing it. Sort of like your first dollar.

[/ QUOTE ]

the best is... I challenged one of these clowns to a HU match. He gladly accepted for $50. So we go the $50 party tables with blinds at .50-1. I pick up TT first hand in BB, AND PUSH ALL 50X BB. He called w/ AJ and i won. Then i'm like "done?" He's like "yes, i've exceeded my withdrawal limit!" LOL LOL LOL!!! Then he sits down w/ his last $11 and i proceed to take those too-- am i a terrible person for doing this, and enjoying it so much? The way i took his $11 was the best, he had 9 left, so i pushed w/ 96s and he called and lost, didn't see what he had.

dfscott
04-18-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
am i a terrible person for doing this, and enjoying it so much? The way i took his $11 was the best, he had 9 left, so i pushed w/ 96s and he called and lost, didn't see what he had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read "The Biggest Game in Town"? This reminds me of the final part.

Slim Pickens
04-18-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Any two can win" always works.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best part is that the three idiots left at a four-handed table who berate you for calling a powerhouse like K4o with 86s for 3:1 in the pot have no idea this is 47% true. Makes me feel superior just thinking about it.

Slim

tjh
04-18-2005, 03:20 AM
I love the sass I get from the other players. Like others have said it is a badge of honor.

I had one guy play back at me after a serious round of me stealing the blinds and grabbing the flops. In his words " You found the check button !!" My response was "Yeah I needed to read the instructions for the check button, first time I used it". Another guy said " I am gonna trap you tjh just wait". Thanks for the warning!! he obviously knew what a trap was, had noticed my aggression and knew how to fight it , he did go on to trap me but not for all my chips.

My chat strategy is that I invite them to educate me. I call them good players, ask for tips, etc etc. I basically fall in love with the worst fish at the table and give him all the friendly attention he needs to stick around.

As for the sharks, I use chat against them. No offense to the fellow sharks but when I am check-raised I let the table know it. "Check-raiser, check-raiser, check-raiser" on and off for the next 15 minutes usually drives a shark from my ring game. Tourneys I keep quiet, the check raiser is obviously at least slightly competent so I note him in my notes and hope he takes a few fish down before I take all his chips, or I hope I am in the money before he/she takes all of mine.

syka16
04-18-2005, 11:30 AM
lol. And after that they folded the SB to you on the next orbit.

FishBurger
04-18-2005, 12:15 PM
I can't speak for the other assclowns, but this is the limit I usually play at.

The Yugoslavian
04-18-2005, 12:27 PM
I've played quite a few $22s and am pretty sure I've been called an 'assclown' at least once.

I doubt *every* 'assclown' plays the $22s (remember, Raptor plays higher, /images/graemlins/wink.gif )...but this one does for the moment.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yugoslav

benfranklin
04-18-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They also frequently counsel others at the table to call my BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on how they say it this is borderline collusion and should be reported.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds more like, "Let's you and him fight!"

SonicReducer
04-18-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have to apply to be an assclown? I got called one last night by a guy at a Party $22 right before I took him out and won.

spentrent
04-18-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have to apply to be an assclown? I got called one last night by a guy at a Party $22 right before I took him out and won.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may have been me! I've been on an "assclown" streak lately. Office Space was on teevee a few days ago and I've been using "assclown" at least 100 times a day in Party chat and/or conversation.

Michael: At least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Samir: Michael, there's nothing wrong with that name.

Michael:There was nothing wrong with it, until I was about nine years old and that no-talent assclown became famous and started winning Grammys.

Samir: Well, why don't just go by Mike, instead of Michael?

Michael: Why should I change it? He's the one who sucks.

nokona13
04-18-2005, 02:22 PM
I've asked this a few times but never gotten a good response.

When you start getting this kind of comment, maybe even a call from a mediocre hand that beats yours but you suck out, should you let up on the push every button and SB where it's folded to you and you have any T or higher or any two suited cards higher than 3 or whatever super wide pushing range you might use on the bubble if it's level 6 or so. Since a call from a mediocre hands kills your $EV as well as the caller's, should you really keep doing this with junk until you get a call, even if everyone at the table has like 70%+ of you stack?

r2p
04-18-2005, 04:39 PM
My game is really on today. Just about a guaranteed tilt !

valenzuela
04-18-2005, 04:57 PM
how about being added to a buddy list /images/graemlins/wink.gif, a guy really told me that.

Freudian
04-18-2005, 05:04 PM
The only phrase you ever need to defend your play is "any two cards can win".

Blarg
04-18-2005, 05:11 PM
I had about 5x the BB so from the button I pushed the blinds with garbage and got called and lost. A guy not in the hand called me a dummy. It didn't bother me much, and if he adds me to his buddy list, I'll be glad of it.

valenzuela
04-18-2005, 06:25 PM
I once called a push with T7 and after they panicked " it was offsuited " was my reply.

Shilly
04-18-2005, 06:31 PM
I win a big pot with 43s:

nyyankees05: such crap
nyyankees05: it never ends
nyyankees05: calls with 34
nyyankees05: unreal
nyyankees05: why play
nyyankees05: pathetic
Shilloy: I can see the cards that will come out
nyyankees05: guess so
nyyankees05: that was pathetic
Shilloy: pathetically AWESOME!

DasLeben
04-18-2005, 06:37 PM
I once busted a guy HU with Q3o. I said "gg," to which he replied "wtf. bull." Good times for sure.