PDA

View Full Version : cant take much more of this

irishpint
04-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Could I have done anything different? Try to check raise maybe? Things have been going so poorly lately that I'm starting to question everything. Thanks

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: (3.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (5.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

milesdyson
04-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Go to the other players' houses and kill them. Follow that with cutting off your own penis. If that fails, develop psoriasis and use the skin flakes to make pancakes.

istewart
04-17-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go to the other players' houses and kill them. Follow that with cutting off your own penis. If that fails, develop psoriasis and use the skin flakes to make pancakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lmao.

Somekid
04-17-2005, 08:38 PM
The limp PF might be a little loose, but I guess it depends on the table. Other than that, I'd play it exactly the same.

ArturiusX
04-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Yes, you could have gone all-in on the flop.

UncleSalty
04-17-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTFLMFAO /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

A_C_Slater
04-17-2005, 08:54 PM
I would fold preflop J9s is a drawing type of hand and I would want 1 more caller to me in MP1. You should always fold this first in from EP and EMP.

But since you limped the flop bet is fine. A check raise is not going to thin the field. And you can't risk this being checked thru, that would be a catastrophe.

The turn bet is good as you may still be ahead of some hands. And you still have outs to the boat

The river is the perfect spot to induce a bluff. If you bet and get raised you are probably beat. If you bet and he can't beat two pair on this board then he will just fold you anyway. Checking to induce a bluff will save you 1BB when behind, and sometimes make you 1BB when ahead. The range of hands that he will call/raise with that beat you is greater than the range of hands that will pay off a value bet.

You are losing to QT, KJ, QJ, KT, and all sorts of button limping hands.

Sasnak
04-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Fold preflop.

UncleSalty
04-17-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see why?

Kumubou
04-17-2005, 09:03 PM
That is the beauty of poker. The player who played the hand better will often times lose out, and allow the worse players to lose money at a much slower rate. On the turn, you had a pot equity of somewhere between 90% (if he's holding Q5) and 95% (if he's holding 55). You could also have 0% if he's holding QQ, but then his play would be less stupid (really passive, but less stupid). You do not get paid in fractions, though -- you either win it all or get nothing. This time, you got nothing. Next time, you will probably get the pot -- or nothing again. In the long run, you will end up with ~90% of the sum of the pots.

If this was a game with much lower variance (like anything from Chess to Street Fighter), it would not work. You would take their money every time, fish would bust out extremely quickly, and you would be stuck playing 2+2ers all day. Not good times, nor is it +EV.

You will get their money in the long run. It is just a really long run.

[edit: Fold pre-flop. J9s is the type of hand you want to play a family pot with; one limper is not sufficent.]

-K

IPSC
04-17-2005, 11:01 PM
Once your called on the turn you can pretty much consider yourself beaten.

Maybe check the flop and bet on a non-scare card when the turn hits?

PokerProdigy
04-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Should maybe fold preflop, betting all the way through looks good, but you could probably safely fold to a river raise because I don't think your good 1/8th of the time (unless of course you know your opponent).

PokerProdigy
04-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Well said.

cold_cash
04-17-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Boo.

SCfuji
04-17-2005, 11:56 PM
what cant you take? first time losing with 2-pair?

no1super2001
04-18-2005, 12:55 AM
n00b grunching...

Preflop looks ok.

I bet the flop.

The turn is a point that I am working on myself. That is appropriateness of aggression. I think the correct play here is check/call or check/fold. This is a small pot and I doubt the value in continuing. If I do check/call the turn, same on the river.

What I am not clear on in this hand is the math behind the decision. PokerStove shows Hero 52% to win &amp; 15% to tie against a random hand. If button has been even mildly discerning in his hand selection, I am quite possibly facing the straight draw on the flop.

Heck, maybe I am completely wrong. If so, someone will let me know...

Entity
04-18-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

All of you guys are nits. I'd fold this if the guys behind me had been playing really really tight, but everyone being dogmatic about this saying "fold preflop" just doesn't feel like typing more than a few words.

I'd limp this here a large portion of the time, and cold_cash wouldn't fold, and he's a nit. So you guys need to get over your preflop fears.

I wouldn't call the river raise though.

Rob

cold_cash
04-18-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All of you guys are nits. I'd fold this if the guys behind me had been playing really really tight, but everyone being dogmatic about this saying "fold preflop" just doesn't feel like typing more than a few words.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd limp this here a large portion of the time, and cold_cash wouldn't fold, and he's a nit. So you guys need to get over your preflop fears.

[/ QUOTE ]

This, however, is just hurtful for the sake of being hurtful. (It is true that I'm too tight, but there's no need for name calling, you hoser.)

UncleSalty
04-18-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

All of you guys are nits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine was actually a joke because so many people use the arrogant "Do you see why" line. But, whatever. I guess sarcasm doesn't come accross in text very well to people who don't know you. Sorry.

scotty34
04-18-2005, 01:39 AM
It's a 7 card game. The best hand on the flop isn't always the best hand on the river. That's a fact that a lot of people here for some reason don't seem to get. Play it like you know you should, and things will all work out eventually.

bottomset
04-18-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't call the river raise though.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

very nice post, shot at Coldcash was ehh ..

i would say nasty remarks towards the OP, but he's a Twins fan and thats enough for me to hold off

ajm36
04-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Once the queen hit the turn, I would check-call to the river (any King or 8 beats you). The only exception would be if I knew I could fold this hand on the river if I was raised, then I would bet the turn and river.

Hojglad
04-18-2005, 06:55 AM
I'd play everything the same with the exception of the river. Do you really think he's bluffing? I don't see any real need to pay him off.

adsman
04-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Look, your hand on the flop was marginal. 2 pair can be really strong or it can be very vulnerable and in this case it's the latter. We have a draw heavy board - 2 to a flush and 3 to a str8. This is not pretty. The Turn is a bad card. It gives someone the str8 and maybe a higher 2 pair, (QT would be certainly staying with you on the flop.) I have a bet on the turn as you did, but the smooth call is very worrying. Check the river. As you played it you should have folded to the raise.
But the most important thing from this hand is that you have to realise that your hand wasn't that great to start with. The only thing you need to question here is your play. You didn't get sucked out on. You were extremely vulnerable. Learn to distinguish strong hands from marginal ones and then play them accordingly.

By the way, I limp this preflop if the players behind me aren't aggressive. You don't want to have to put another bet in with this holding.

Fredrik
04-18-2005, 07:35 AM
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif (n00b darking)

See it from the villains view. I guess he has either Kx or 55?

55 is less likely. Who would try for spiking a set with an obvious straight out there?
Kx make his draw plausible. Possibly paired the kicker. He makes the straight on the turn, but needs to see the river before raising (scared of either a club or K; both beating him either by flushing or nut straight).

I don't see how you could have scared him off. Check/raising would only give him free cards for the draw, unless he was very aggressive. But given his play on the turn I think that's not the case here.