PDA

View Full Version : If you could greenlight any BOOK into a movie what would it be?

[censored]
04-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Add details of the book and feel free to delve into directors or casting.

pshreck
04-17-2005, 08:21 PM
Super System

istewart
The Dirt, Motley Crue

MarkL444
probably some book i dont like much, maybe some kind of adventure novel ive never read. isnt it generally assumed that movies ruin the books?

pshreck
04-17-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
probably some book i dont like much, maybe some kind of adventure novel ive never read. isnt it generally assumed that movies ruin the books?

[/ QUOTE ]

Godfather

Jurassic Park

Mystic River

istewart
04-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Mario Puzo is such a hack writer.

Ringo_Mojo
04-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Neuromancer by William Gibson.
as long as they don't cast Keanu Reeves for any part in it.

balkii
04-17-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mario Puzo is such a hack writer.

[/ QUOTE ]

i havent read anything but The Godfather but that was a fantasic book.

gvibes
04-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Anything by Philip K Dick (Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, and one crappy direct to video, I think).

Dr. Strangelove
04-18-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
as long as they don't cast Keanu Reeves for any part in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I can't believe someone put this down before me.

cockandbull
04-18-2005, 12:34 AM
perfume

scotty34
04-18-2005, 12:40 AM
A little bit O/T, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread dedicated to this, as we already have two. I would love to see someone make a movie out of Starcraft. That has an incredible story (for a video game), and there could definetly be a very entertaining movie made out of it. Or even a series of movies.

I hear there are actually books written about it, has anyone read them? Are they good? Do they continue where SC/BW left off, or are they side stories not involving the main characters from the games?

Kirg
04-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson

12ozLongneck
The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy.

contentless
For what it's worth, the Alien vs. Predator 'story' was parallel to the Starcraft 'hierarchy'.

Too bad it sucked. Hard.

gumpzilla
04-18-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear, hear. I remember having a conversation with somebody several years ago about who we would cast for the various principals. I wish I could remember who we came up with; the only one that's standing out was that Angelina Jolie seemed like a conceivable choice for Molly. I also think Ed Harris would make a bitchin' Armitage.

scotty34
04-18-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, the Alien vs. Predator 'story' was parallel to the Starcraft 'hierarchy'.

Too bad it sucked. Hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never watched AvP. All I remember is just reading the story in the manual for SC, I thought it was awesome. The game also did a great job in showing the story line progress IMO.

[censored]
04-18-2005, 01:11 AM
I was a big fan of The Lord of the Rings trilogy and like to see something by R.A. Salvador brought to life as long as it was done well like TLOTR.

bernie
04-18-2005, 05:51 AM
Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter.

b

thatpfunk
04-18-2005, 06:00 AM
For Whom the Bell Tolls. It was made a while ago, I think it could be done very well now.

I think the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe looks pretty sweet.

jackdaniels
04-18-2005, 12:13 PM
1. "Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card (I think they may be actually doing this).

2. "Ringworld" by Larry Niven (again, lots of speculation that this may get done)

3. "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein

4. "Foundation Trilogy" by Asimov.

Yeah, I'm a sci-fi geek, but damn those books were good.

JaBlue
04-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Solzenhytzen - Ghoulag

contentless
04-18-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. "Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card (I think they may be actually doing this).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they are, but they're cutting out a whole bunch of stuff. Namely Peter. There might be more that they're cutting it out (actually, I'm sure there is). OSC is writing the screenplay, so it may turn out aiiiite.

Raiser
04-18-2005, 12:45 PM
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

Background. Toole wrote this book, then killed himself, and his mom found the manuscript in his stuff later. She then hounded a professor at the local college (can't remember where) to get him to help her get it published. Being an english professor he had heard this line a bunch of times and didn't believe the book was any good. Finally the mom got the professor to read it and he agreed that it was very good. They got it published and it won a pulitzer.

That isn't why I think it'd make a good movie, just an interesting back story. The reason it would make a good movie is that the main character, Ignatius Riley, is freaking hilarious. And the story should be easy enough to put on the big screen without screwing it up too much.

edtost
04-18-2005, 12:52 PM
the crying of lot 49 - pynchon

Redmen62
04-18-2005, 12:55 PM
The entire Timothy Zahn trilogy of Stars Wars novels. Those books are more Star Wars than Star Wars is. Casting Thrawn would be a mofo, though...

thatpfunk
04-18-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard it is being made and they want Will Ferrell as the lead..

Bulldog
04-18-2005, 01:26 PM
HHGttG

The Yugoslavian
04-18-2005, 01:30 PM
I've always thought that the book, 'The Day After Tomorrow,' would have been an amazing blockbuster movie.

The problem is, they made some stupid, crappy movie with that title (based on a *different* book with the same title) instead and I'm not sure how one could market the book as a movie now.
by Allan Folsom (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446600415/qid=1113845099/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-9224712-2268925)

The book had great pace even though it was very long....however, with a good director and such I think the movie would be amazing.

Yugoslav

wayabvpar
04-18-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was a big fan of The Lord of the Rings trilogy and like to see something by R.A. Salvador brought to life as long as it was done well like TLOTR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. No offense, but Salvatore is among the worst hacks I have ever had the misfortune to read. The only way I would watch anything based on his writing is if I got to see Drizz't die a horrifically painful death in the first 5 minutes of the movie.

Any number of Gibson books would be cool (even though it was cheesy and involved Keanu Reeves, I still liked Johnny Mneumonic- I think it was the mono-wire thumb that did it for me). I would like to see any of Neal Stephenson's books done too.

kevyk
04-18-2005, 01:44 PM
The Flashman papers, by George MacDonald Fraser.

Background:

Harry Flashman is the ultimate Victorian anti-hero. He's a shameless coward, rake, and self-promoter in England's most staid and conservative era. The irony is, he's never found out to be these things, and manages to obtain a reputation as the bravest man in England's army simply by surviving every military disaster of the 19th century (Afghanistan, the Sikh revolt of 1848, Cawnpore, Balaclava, Harper's Ferry, Little Big Horn, and China's Taiping rebellion to name a few). Flashy manages to rise to the rank of General in the English Army through pure cowardice and deception.

The only drawback would be that each movie would have to be a sprawling epic, and that portraying such an unappealing character onscreen (and still managing to get laughs: these books are side-splittingly funny) would take real talent.

benkath1
04-18-2005, 02:44 PM
The DaVinci Code

Harrison Ford and Angelina Jolee, with Gene Hackman as the man living in the mansion.(forgot his name)

Willam Defoe as the cop after them.

Ringo_Mojo
04-18-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh hell yeah.

I would be happy with a short that's just the into monologue as he gears up his car.

Ringo_Mojo
04-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Yeah i've had that conversation with friends on many many occasions. I've always been in favor of casting complete unknowns for the parts. My friends have come up with some good ones though.

Ed Harris would be awsome as Armitage

thatpfunk
04-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Da Vinci Code is already in progress... (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382625/)

ddollevoet
04-18-2005, 03:12 PM
The Long Walk by Richard Bachman (aka Stephen King).

beckham9
04-18-2005, 03:21 PM
The Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin. Even though its not done (hes 3 books in) it blows the lord of the rings out of the water so far its not even funny.

Undisputed best fantasy series ever...and targeted at a more mature audience...IE sex, gore, torture etc.

purnell
04-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Tattoo, by Earl Thompson. Has it been done already?

willie
04-18-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard it is being made and they want Will Ferrell as the lead..

[/ QUOTE ]

this made my day.

blatz
04-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Hate to unmake your day. It was all go, Will Farrell did some readings as Ignatious to rave reviews and this cast was in:
Lily Tomlin: Santa
Olympia Dukakis: Mrs. Reillty
Mos Def: Jones
Drew Barrymore: Darlene

Steven Sondbergh was producing, they got the project started even scouting locations in the Quarter and then about 5 months ago it fell apart...legal and financial problems.

It seems someone tries to make this every 5 years or so, to no avail, leaving us able to mentally cast different Ignatious' in our head for all time.

willie
04-18-2005, 04:12 PM
you have unmade my day you scourge of a human being.

with your facts and other nonsense.

benkath1
04-18-2005, 04:17 PM
TYVM

I guess I was way off on the cast.

blatz
04-18-2005, 04:23 PM
I'll give the Ignatious statue under the old D. H. Holmes' clock a hug for you...I'll even say "This one is from Willie"

I just wanna redeem myself in your eyes.

RolandOfGilead
04-18-2005, 04:51 PM
The Gunslinger