PDA

View Full Version : movie opinion- Punch Drunk Love

M2d
11-04-2002, 04:44 PM
absolutely the worst movie I've ever seen. all six of us who saw it agree.
Picture the standard adam sandler character (seemingly normal guy, kind of a sweetheart, but with a horrible temper and little common sense).
add in a stupid plot and a director's desire to be artsy.
what you get is a inane plotline, little depth, and not even the juvenile humor that saves sandler's past efforts.

Ray Zee
11-04-2002, 10:19 PM
new york is the movie critics capital of the world and all we get is these northern california guys giving us the reviews. what gives? plus what they watch to review gives me the fits. help

Bill Murphy
11-04-2002, 11:24 PM
...you never saw PT Anderson's previous movie; nor Scorsese & Kubrick's last works... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Nothing will ever 'bottom' "Natural Born Killers", tho[insert missing barf graemlin here].

11-05-2002, 02:33 AM
One of the greatest films of the past 10 years, in my not-so-humble opinion.

M2d
11-05-2002, 01:08 PM
you have to have faith. Faith that I know crap when I see it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

M2d
11-05-2002, 01:10 PM
you're just sour that it'll take a few months before PDL comes up to your neck of the woods. By then it'll be too cold to watch the movie outside where they show it projected up against a sheet on a laundry line /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Boris
11-05-2002, 02:48 PM
Hey now - You havn't experienced fun until you go on a double date to the drive in and to save money you hide the girls in the trunk of the '75 LTD, along with the 12 pack of cheap beer and a bottle of whiskey. ahhh to be 17 again.

M2d
11-05-2002, 02:57 PM
Hawaii memories are flooding back. My friend had this old VW van, see, and he fitted it with a false bottom. he and his "date" (one of our girl friends), would ride up and pay admission for two. We'd parallel park in two spaces, hop out of the false bottom, pull out the grills, coolers, etc, and totally set up shop.
At least it was warm there.

andyfox
11-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Careful now. I posted that "Eyes Wide Shut" was the worst movie I had ever paid money to see and John Cole, who is a helluva lot smarter than I am, said he found it engrossing (or something like that). I still say feh.

M2d
11-05-2002, 03:21 PM
Andy, it's very likely that Eyes Wide Shut is number two on my list, but, in this matter, it's the Nets to the Laker like Punch Drunk Love.

Bill Murphy
11-05-2002, 09:28 PM
Raining frogs. Kid pees his pants on TV. Need I go on?

However, if the movie just would've been the Robards-Hoffman-Cruise plotline, we'd'a had somethin'.

Ray Zee
11-05-2002, 10:07 PM
[censored], we get the videos before the movie comes to town. but i will fix them. ill put my antenna on a taller tree.

John Cole
11-06-2002, 06:13 PM
Andy,

First, I ain't smarter than nobody. But, although I can't say I "enjoyed" Eyes--I mean it's not the kind of movie you "enjoy" like Bringing Up Baby, Strangers on a Train, or The Philadelphia Story--I found it compelling. (Watch it again and look at the references to the Odyssey.) Of course, I also find Natural Born Killers a valuable film, but I think many people fail to notice Stone's rather
obvious satire. Many people also hated JFK; however, look at it in two ways: imagine that it's "about" Stone's rather bizarre theories, and then imagine that it's "about" Garrison's obsessions. How does that change the way you regard the film?

Of course, at times I just wonder whether or not I'm universally tasteless, but I know that I have never laughed at even one moment of a Chevy Chase film, but I nearly fell out of my seat watching Tati in Mr. Hulot's Holiday demonstrating his approach to tennis.

John

P.S. I'm really not an elitist. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

baggins
11-08-2002, 07:19 PM
i agree. while i cant say i enjoyed EWS, i thought it was a very compelling and well done movie. the last line that Nicole Kidman says in the movie is just brilliant, and a perfect way to end and sum up.