PDA

View Full Version : Trips 2

DonP
04-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Villain is loose-passive, passive. I'm mostly wondering if my play on the turn is correct.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Result:
<font color="white">Villain had JJ</font>

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

ArturiusX
04-17-2005, 06:22 PM
I'd probably fold to the raise on the flop.

Villian seems very aggressive post flop, hitting on of your outs was a nice bonus though. I'd cap the turn, lead the river, call a raise.

aK13
04-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Folding the flop is definitely the right play I think (I wouldn't even mind just check/folding it since the pot is tiny). Given that you hit trips on the turn, I check/raise and cap if possible, since I put him on ATo here. I also lead the river.

Also, don't bother posting the results. The correct play is always independent of what villain(s) actually have.

AngelicPenguin
04-17-2005, 09:49 PM
I dunno about calling the flop bet, but I'm capping that turn. Whatever made him raise the flop is the same reason he's 3-betting here (most definately NOT an 8) If he leads out the river, I'll probably just call.

GrunchCan
04-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Check-fold the flop. You have a marginal hand, and the pot is small.

Given that you bet: a passive opponent raises your flop bet on a rag board. Why did you call? Would a passive opponent raise with any hand you beat?

istewart
04-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Really, check/fold? Even HU with a random limper? Second pair seems to justify a bet.

Entity
04-17-2005, 10:39 PM
This hand looks good to me. I hate any advice saying "check-fold the flop," and though it might be mathematically correct to fold to the flop raise, I generally peel lightly when I think villain might be getting frisky with a hand like J9, etc., that he'd check behind on the turn.

Rob

Entity
04-17-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Given that you bet: a passive opponent raises your flop bet on a rag board. Why did you call? Would a passive opponent raise with any hand you beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate check-folding this flop HU. Betting flops like this against rando openlimpers is going to add to one's winrate.

Rob

Goodnews
04-17-2005, 10:41 PM
flop bet is ok, fold to the raise.

nice of you to hit an out, i would cap turn, bet out on the river and call a raise.

when the loose passive wakes up, things tend to get blurry.

GrunchCan
04-17-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Really, check/fold? Even HU with a random limper? Second pair seems to justify a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, forgetting about what your first action is (eg check or bet), suppose the villan raises. How often do you think your hand is good? Assuming we don't improve, we are getting about 2.5:3 effective odds all the way to the river. Remember, this opponent is passive. Passive opponents dont bluff frequently, and they especially dont bluff-raise. Do you think we are good here close to 50% of the time?

davelin
04-17-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Got to agree with Rob here, MP heads-up is pretty good.

milesdyson
04-17-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This hand looks good to me. I hate any advice saying "check-fold the flop," and though it might be mathematically correct to fold to the flop raise, I generally peel lightly when I think villain might be getting frisky with a hand like J9, etc., that he'd check behind on the turn.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree check folding is bad with a pair heads up against a single other hand. Folding to the flop raise opens you up to getting raised a lot more in small pots when you're out of position, so calling it and check folding the turn unimproved would be fine, because he is likely only betting better hands if we check to him on the turn. Obviously there's some chance he'd have a 5 or a pocket pair that he'd raise on the flop, but calling down without improving would be a loose call down against most players for whom you have no reads.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, forgetting about what your first action is (eg check or bet), suppose the villan raises. How often do you think your hand is good? Assuming we don't improve, we are getting about 2.5:3 effective odds all the way to the river. Remember, this opponent is passive. Passive opponents dont bluff frequently, and they especially dont bluff-raise. Do you think we are good here close to 50% of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem with that read is that it probably came from observation during multiway hands or just PT stats. Heads up, players play very differently, especially when they realize you're a better player and will "respect" a raise. That said, I agree that calling this raise is probably -EV somewhat, but the fact that I'm going to prevent people from taking shots at me later at that table is worth that money, imo.

Shillx
04-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Check-fold the flop.

Haha this is why a little HU session every once in a while is good for your game. You just can't give up this quickly in pots where you don't flop big.

Brad

GrunchCan
04-17-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree check folding is bad with a pair heads up against a random hand. Folding to the raise opens you up to getting raised a lot more in small pots when you're out of position, so calling it and check folding the turn unimproved would be fine, because he is likely only betting better hands if we check to him on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can go along with this.

GrunchCan
04-17-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check-fold the flop.

Haha this is why a little HU session every once in a while is good for your game. You just can't give up this quickly in pots where you don't flop big.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be.