PDA

View Full Version : Flopped Set and low draw

beta1607
04-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Omaha/8 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (11 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB betss</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

This is from my first o/8 session so comments on all streets would be appreciated.

grandgnu
04-17-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 3/6 Omaha/8 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (11 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB betss</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

This is from my first o/8 session so comments on all streets would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre-flop I don't care for your hand all that much. The low cards aren't very strong and you don't have much going for you in strong possible flush/straight draws if the flop comes down in that manner.

After the flop, you've got middle set, but if the board pairs you still might be beat by a variety of hands.

In addition, you have a 2/4/5/8 low DRAW, which also isn't very strong against multiple opponents.

After the turn you're in better shape with a flush draw (not a strong one though) and of course your low is now A/2/4/5/8 so you're only beat by 2/3, which puts you in better shape.

The river doesn't do much, but your hand is decent enough at this point to stick around, you have the possibility of scooping the pot, I figure you're going to win at least half somewhere there.

How'd it turn out?

gergery
04-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Preflop: Your hand is horrible in EP and multiway - easy fold.

Flop: The most important thing here is that there are still two cards to come. With two low cards on the board you don't have much folding equity, so what turn/river cards do you want to see? Answer: very very few, as almost every turn/river allow a low or better high. The key objective now is getting others to fold, but since both have already called both calling and raising are options now depending on table.

Turn: You got the 2nd best card in the deck. The As moves you from 5th nut low to second nut low, gives you a weak flush draw and most importantly helps make some good second best hands for your opponents to allow you to get paid off (something quads was less likely to do for you). I raise for value.

River: Here is the problem with playing this hand preflop -- you got a decent flop, a great turn card, and still you are not comfortable betting here. I raise for value -- you're more likely to scoop or split than get quartered or be scooped.

--Greg

lonn19
04-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Preflop, I dont like the hand at all. Would have folded, but you called and got a good flop. I like the raising after flopping a set. The ace also helps and gives you a second nut low. I wouldn't have played it much differently than you. I'd be surprised if you didn't take anything from the pot.

chaos
04-20-2005, 08:51 AM
What did you like about this hand preflop?

For low you have 2 5. You need A 3 4 on board to make the nut low. The chance of that happening are pretty slim.

Lets look at your high potential. You have 8 8. You can make trip 8's or 8's full. Even if you do, the chances are both of those hands will cost you money rather than win a big pot. You have two spades but they are only 5 high. The chances of making your flush and it being the best high is also pretty slim.

This is an easy fold.