PDA

View Full Version : PLO8 - Mistake on the turn?

11-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Home game, $5 dealer ante, PL and medium-high stakes (anywhere from 20-40-100 to 100 whole way). Only difference is no table limit - stacks are theoretically unlimited, though biggest bet has been about $1000: we try and keep it friendly. BTW, never had a problem with this system, even though I've never seen it anywhere except that henry fonda/Jason robards flick.

Any case, I'm the dealer (button).

I have Ah-5c-8h-10h. Not a great hand, but worth a $25 opening bet. Five callers.

Flop: 5h-4c-9h. Maniac, in MP, bets $50, gets one loose, calling station caller, and I call. Three way.

Turn: 7h. Giving me nut flush, bad low, and straight flush redraw.

Maniac bets $200, calling station calls.

I'm about 90% certain that one of them has an A2, because even maniac won't bet into nuts usually. However, he has a really hard time checking. Calling station could have anything - literally. However, he'll fold to a large bet if he doesn't have a good hand - he's not THAT loose.

I decide to just call.

River pairs the 9. Maniac bets $400, CS calls. I mull and fold. Maniac shows nines full of sevens, with an A6 for low. Calling station had lower full house, can't recall, and Maniac scoops.

At least I made a good call on the river.

However, not betting the nut flush on the turn is sorta bugging me. I don't like it when the other player is freerolling, and I felt that there was little chance of me scooping the pot with my flush since a low was out there. Also, I felt that I could get a big raise in on the River if the board didn't pair.

Any comments?

Tim

Greg (FossilMan)
11-04-2002, 05:04 PM
If you were not raising the turn because you could win more money by waiting to the river, then that's fine. You were there, and you must know the players better than us.

However, if you were avoiding the raise to make sure the board didn't pair before you put in the big money, that sounds plain wrong. Make them pay while you know you're a big favorite. If you wait until the river, they might fold (because they no longer have any hope of drawing out on you). Also, you just won't win as much, either, since they might call a raise now AND a big bet on the river (for example, if they both are holding the nut low).

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)