PDA

View Full Version : KK, your move here?

1C5
04-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Party $22

Play the same or different from this?
Raise more PF next time? (but I didn't just want to steal the blinds)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+2 (t965)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t735)
MP3 (t1105)
CO (t760)
Button (t635)
SB (t740)
BB (t725)
Hero (t800)
UTG+1 (t735)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t50</font>, UTG+1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>.

Flop: (t172.50) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t250</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t547.50

Patriarch
04-17-2005, 10:44 AM
I play the same. I don't think he's raising with anything you can beat. If you go over the top he'll probably push and nine times out of ten show you crap like A-rag or QTs. Good fold.
EDIT: I don't mind the raise amount PF, it depends how tight the table is of course. If I thought people would call I'd raise to 80 or 100.

gasgod
04-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Did he call PF with something you can beat, and then bluff? If so, he's wasting his time in the 22's. He almost certainly had an ace and/or a ten, and you were right to fold.

GG

Phil Van Sexton
04-17-2005, 11:13 AM
You know my opinion already. I'd bet 90 here and probably get all my chips in if an Ace doesn't fall.

On the flop, I think I'd bet 150. This may be nitpicking but I think a smallish bet might encourage someone to make a play on you. Throw in an extra 25 and make them think you have AK.

Poisson7
04-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Agreed. In these low buy-in SNGs, you get a lot of chasers who don't respect a small raise. I think go up til 90 or 100. You'll still probably get the caller who had a small heart attack when he saw A2s and you'll still have to fold this board, but at least you minimized the chances of that happening.

Freudian
04-17-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. In these low buy-in SNGs, you get a lot of chasers who don't respect a small raise. I think go up til 90 or 100. You'll still probably get the caller who had a small heart attack when he saw A2s and you'll still have to fold this board, but at least you minimized the chances of that happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem with the 90-100 level 1 raise is that it screams to the table that you have a monster. But since the good players will only call a raise with a solid hand and the bad players don't care, I guess it doesn't matter much.

I know I have folded a bunch of TT-JJ for the 100 raise from a solid player. And I have never seen anything but AA-QQ, AK in that spot.

Phil Van Sexton
04-17-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem with the 90-100 level 1 raise is that it screams to the table that you have a monster. But since the good players will only call a raise with a solid hand and the bad players don't care, I guess it doesn't matter much.

I know I have folded a bunch of TT-JJ for the 100 raise from a solid player. And I have never seen anything but AA-QQ, AK in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing the PP 22s, you can't base your strategy on how good players would react.

Bet 100, type "I have KK" in the chat box, and get called by A2s.

If they happen to fold, it's not because all the players are good. It's because the 4 morons at the table didn't get dealt anything sooted nor did either of their cards have a pretty picture on them.

sng-sam
04-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Preflop I play this the same. On the flop I check/fold and cry like a biotch the whole way. Regarding the size of your preflop raise. I think it's ok. You wanted a call and you got one. So becareful what you wish for. In hindsight maybe a $80 raise is better you'll have a better idea what you are up against on the flop and save a little money.

SAM

zaphod
04-17-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing the PP 22s, you can't base your strategy on how good players would react.

Bet 100, type "I have KK" in the chat box, and get called by A2s.

If they happen to fold, it's not because all the players are good. It's because the 4 morons at the table didn't get dealt anything sooted nor did either of their cards have a pretty picture on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I have changed my play due to a comment from Phil. He responded to a post a few months ago where I raised about 60 with QQ during level 1. I have now changed my standard raise to beeing 85 during level 1. I still gets lots of callers both in the 20 and 30 dollar SNG's. Thank you Phil.

valenzuela
04-17-2005, 12:58 PM
is pushing KK pre-flop to wild? i did it the other day and of course got called by a moron uncapable of laying down AK( of course he sucked out but thats another story)

Poisson7
04-17-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop I play this the same. On the flop I check/fold and cry like a biotch the whole way. Regarding the size of your preflop raise. I think it's ok. You wanted a call and you got one. So becareful what you wish for. In hindsight maybe a $80 raise is better you'll have a better idea what you are up against on the flop and save a little money.

SAM

[/ QUOTE ]

But he actually got 2 callers, which he didn't want - the hope with the bigger raise is to get one caller to fold and one to call. As for the check-fold on the flop, you're giving somebody with any 2 the chance to bluff an A. I think you have to fire a second bullet.

Apathy
04-17-2005, 01:16 PM
Just from the title I knew the hand was gonna go raise PF, A on flop, continuation bet into more then one opponent, hero fold when raised.

This question gets asked everyday it seems.

If you are having no success with continuation bets, limit them only to when the pot is HU or when it is 3 handed, but you are in position and it was checked to you.

The PF raise is small but not a huge mistake at all. My standard open is around 70 depending on my position, I would think it should be more then that at the 20s.

Blarg
04-18-2005, 12:33 AM
I have to agree that your preflop raise was too small. You're not getting enough money in the pot when you're ahead and you're not scaring enough people out, which you want to do, since any ace that hits makes your hand almost hopeless, and people love calling with any ace.

Your flop bet could be a little bigger, too. It kind of does encourage a play against you, as others have noted. I'd go as high as 175, and I'd fold if raised. Unfortunately, there's nothing pretty about this flop for you. But, check folding would be kind of startling, and set the whole table to trying every type of bluff on you for the rest of the tourney and maybe beyond. I know I'd make notes on someone who could be bet out of pots every time an ace showed up, and who informed me he didn't have one by checking into me after raising preflop. I think you kind of have to take your lumps on this one and bet out representing the ace, and be prepared to lose your bet.

RobertC
04-18-2005, 09:31 AM
What if your opponent doesn't check raise on the flop but merely calls? A blank comes on the turn. What does the hero do now? If you don't bet you still encourage a weaker hand to bluff. If you bet you still probably have to fold to a check raise. Someone with Ace little will frequently just call all the way to the river, afraid to raise because he might be up against an ace with a better kicker.

Poisson7
04-18-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What if your opponent doesn't check raise on the flop but merely calls? A blank comes on the turn. What does the hero do now? If you don't bet you still encourage a weaker hand to bluff. If you bet you still probably have to fold to a check raise. Someone with Ace little will frequently just call all the way to the river, afraid to raise because he might be up against an ace with a better kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love someone wise to weigh in on this question. I assume that in a high buy-in, if you're called on the flop you're done with the hand. But what about a low buy-in, or against a player you know is careless?