PDA

View Full Version : pocket nines capped preflop =-O

thesharpie
04-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (20.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (12.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB

UTG+1 is a LAG, his LRR could mean alot of things, he's done it a few times with trash. Should I just call the 3 bet to keep the pot size under control? What about the rest? I forget my read on BB, let's say unknown. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ArturiusX
04-17-2005, 07:39 AM
I don't cap here.

The fact that BB showed aggression for the first time leads despite us using maximium aggression says "I've got a hand", which sways me to fold the turn. I can't see us being good here by the river, especially with a lot of people stay in the hand with overs too.

thesharpie
04-20-2005, 07:24 PM
BB has 7d 5h (two pair, jacks and sevens).
MP2 has 6d Ah (two pair, jacks and sixes).
Hero has 9c 9s (two pair, jacks and nines).
Outcome: Hero wins 18.75 BB.

Despite the results, does anyone else agree with folding the turn?

DeathDonkey
04-20-2005, 07:30 PM
I play it the same, no don't fold the turn. Though I might think about raising the turn and checking behind on the river.

-DeathDonkey

GoHoosiers
04-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Even with what you thought (at the time) was a 2-outer, you are getting 14.5:1 on the turn call. Add to that the times (like it turned out) Villian is betting middle pair, I probably call as well. The pot is too big.

Rich

aK13
04-20-2005, 08:20 PM
capping preflop with 99 is pushing it...as I don't even like raising this hand in late position (but that's just a personal thing)

I call the turn, even though BB looks like he is playing a J, but the field is only 3 players and the pot is pretty big, so I'd look to show this down.

Shillx
04-20-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play it the same, no don't fold the turn. Though I might think about raising the turn and checking behind on the river.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect.

shadow29
04-20-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

True for postflop, but I don't cap pf.

xenthebrain
04-21-2005, 07:38 AM
I would rather call the 3-bet preflop and raise him on a good flop than cap with 99.
Like you played it, the rest is fine.

xenthebrain
04-21-2005, 07:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather show this down for 2 BB than raising the turn and checking behind on the river with the risk that someone bets on the river again.
If I just call the turn you can fold the river when a scarecard comes (like undercards pairing the board) and action arises.
Or what is the advantage of raising the turn? You get the same amounts of bets in by calling turn and river and raising the turn and checking the river, with more information on the if you just call the turn.

kenberman
04-21-2005, 08:27 AM
I don't cap here - there are far too many flops that will leave you drawing to 2 outs for a pre-flop cap.

Shillx
04-21-2005, 06:07 PM
I'd rather show this down for 2 BB than raising the turn and checking behind on the river with the risk that someone bets on the river again.

Yeah in this hand, raising the turn is probably worse then just calling. I would always call down if the pot is HU, but as you add more people it generally becomes better to raise and then check behind on a drawy board. The problem with raising in this hand is that we will probably have to call a 3-bet. And then once we do that we will be compelled to call on the river (even more so when another jack hits). So for that reason, I like just calling here. If the pot were such that I could fold to a 3-bet, I would like raising better. The reason is that you like to get the money in while everyone is on the draw. If you just call the turn, everyone in the middle will fold if they miss on the river. By raising, you trap them in there for an extra bet while you have the best of it.

If I just call the turn you can fold the river when a scarecard comes (like undercards pairing the board) and action arises.

This is weak-tight thinking. This would be similar to someone saying, "I don't want to raise my KK preflop because I want to see if an ace flops or not." Meh, we have an edge on the turn so let's take it since it might not be there on the river.

Or what is the advantage of raising the turn? You get the same amounts of bets in by calling turn and river and raising the turn and checking the river, with more information on the if you just call the turn.

Yeah you get the same number of bets in a HU situation, but you get far more bets by raising the turn when the pot is multiway. Again, I think the hero's line is fine in this hand because it is a huge 3-way pot. But if the pot were smaller, I would certainly raise the turn to get value from the caller stuck in the middle (since he might not call on the river).

Brad

xenthebrain
04-21-2005, 06:13 PM
good points

kapw7
04-21-2005, 07:10 PM
I would just call PF. But capping is not bad b/c of the implied odds of making a set against all these callers.

I would take advantage of my position and raise the river. MP2 does not have a J b/c he didnt raise and BB looks like he was playing a straight draw or an overpair.

kapw7
04-21-2005, 07:15 PM
You have a good position (you act last so you won't have to spend more money if there is a raise on the river) and pot odds to call here I think.

reubenf
04-21-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Though I might think about raising the turn and checking behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do this, do you go ahead and bet the river when the second J comes and it's checked to you?