PDA

View Full Version : 33 in the BB

arcticfox
04-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Hi, I'm fairly new to this site but have read most of the recommended books and doing very well at 0.25/0.50 games. However obviously looking to improve, would appreciate any comments on the pre-flop cold call and what I should do on the turn? Does the flop check raise look the right play? - I was guessing MP2 would lead out whatever hit. On the turn do I check and go for another check raise or bet out to stop it checking around if neither have improved on the turn?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (10.20 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ???

aK13
04-17-2005, 07:03 AM
(Reposting since I thought it was HU)

Check/raise is good on the flop. Since he 3bet and CO seems to like tagging along, I would call, then wait for a C/R on the turn and then fire away mercilessly.

EDIT: I think this way you'll be able to squeeze an extra BB out of CO, since he'll probably fold the turn if you bet and MP2 raises. MP2 plays like he's got AA-QQ.

adsman
04-17-2005, 07:04 AM
Well, we know you bet because you're in red. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
And that was the right thing to do. I lead the flop. Fastplaying is the new slowplaying.

milesdyson
04-17-2005, 07:08 AM
You're not trapping anyone extra by check raising the flop, ie. there's always one person between you and the preflop raiser. In my opinion you will gain more by bet/3-betting this flop than by check raising. Your check raise shows a lot more strength than a simple bet, so I think it's more likely to get to 3+ bets when you lead.

arcticfox
04-17-2005, 07:09 AM
LOL, haven't quite worked out the nuances of the converter then! I did lead out and got called on both turn and river but wondering if I'd maximised my winnings by leading out. My worry was that if either MP2 or CO has 67 then I may giving them a free card to hit the straight if its checked around at the turn.

This was my first orbit at this table so had no reads on either player.

Kumubou
04-17-2005, 07:09 AM
Pre-flop is fine, normally this is too few players to play on with a raise (you want lots of limpers when playing for a set when you are calling two... hell you just want limpers regardless), but since you are the BB it's OK to go for one more. Being OOP is a non-issue, since with such a low PP you are looking to fit a set on the flop or fold.

Unless you had a read that MP2 was really passive post-flop (ie: raises overcards pre-flop but won't bet them on the flop if they miss), then the check-raise is fine. Otherwise, just bet... and put the pedal to the metal. No straight, no flush, and if he has a bigger set he's a donk (maybe trying an isolation raise with 88?), and that's life. You can not worry about such things. You'll see someone go bananas with two pair (and villian's still a donk, for raising with something like 85) or an overpair (and I don't know if anyone sane has the testicular forititude to cap an overpair on any flop, even as ragged as that) enough to make this +EV in the long term.

In short: this is fine; keep flopping sets like that.

-K

adsman
04-17-2005, 07:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, haven't quite worked out the nuances of the converter then! I did lead out and got called on both turn and river but wondering if I'd maximised my winnings by leading out. My worry was that if either MP2 or CO has 67 then I may giving them a free card to hit the straight if its checked around at the turn.

This was my first orbit at this table so had no reads on either player.

[/ QUOTE ]

You play sets FAST. Don't even think about checking the turn. And at this level, worrying about 67 is seeing monsters under the bed. You have huge pot equity here so bet and pray that you get raised.

arcticfox
04-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks, so the consensus is that I should have led out on the flop with a set rather than check raise given I had no reads on my opponents?

arcticfox
04-18-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
MP2 plays like he's got AA-QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I thought too, it was called down by MP2 (CO folded my river bet) and he showed AJ hearts. I stayed around at the table to get the rest of his chips after I saw that! /images/graemlins/grin.gif