PDA

View Full Version : $0.10-$0.25 NLHE hand -- Too passive?

11-04-2002, 10:43 AM
Playing on PartyPoker in the $25 max NLHE game, which is very loose passive preflop, and pretty much the rest of the hand too.

I pick up JTo on the button, and limp after 5 other limpers. Blinds rap and we see a rainbow flop of T93

2nd in, a *very* agressive player who seems to be on permatilt, and has played every hand so far, bets $3 into the roughly $2 pot, folds to me. I call, but admittedly I'm not really sure where I am.

Turn is a 2nd ten. He bets $4, I just call. River is a J, making the call of his all in bet for $12 a no brainer. My question is, against an agressive player who plays any two cards, is this calling strategy with vulnerable/possibly dominated hands profitable in the long run?

B

Greg (FossilMan)
11-04-2002, 02:18 PM
If there is a significant chance you're ahead, then merely calling can be the best play. If the opponent is one who will continue to bluff or mistakenly push his lesser hand, that is a factor for just calling. If he will back down and even fold if you play back at him, that's another reason to only call. If there is a big risk of him catching a card to beat you, that's a reason to play back and figure out his hand now. If he will shut down from a single call, that's a reason to not just call. Etc.

I make a lot of my profit, especially in high stakes limit games, by NOT raising with the best hand. I do raise with it, but certainly not every time. Sometimes I let the overly aggressive players just bet my hand for me, as they are good enough to shut down if I play back at them.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)