PDA

View Full Version : Folding Kings

Raydain
04-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Probably one of my major leaks is not being able to fold kings preflop. If someone has AA then they are going to get my whole stack. There have only been a couple times when I have laid down kings preflop and even now I wonder if it was the right play.

My question is how much this will cost me. Is this something that needs to be fixed before moving up to high stakes or is it not a major problem?

jojobinks
04-17-2005, 01:13 AM
how exactly are you to know that someone has AA when you hold KK?

in every other situation, you probably want to get all-in with KK, right? i'm not sure how this could be a leak. that is, unless someone shows you the AA, and you still call.

Siawyn
04-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Very little of a problem, if any, because there's going to be an equal amount of times that you hold the aces when they hold the kings...

Alex/Mugaaz
04-17-2005, 02:05 AM
Losing with kings to aces is not a leak. It's bad luck. If it's one of your biggest leaks you should be winning tournaments on a consistant basis.

Spladle Master
04-17-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Losing with kings to aces is not a leak. It's bad luck. If it's one of your biggest leaks you should be winning tournaments on a consistant basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raydain
04-17-2005, 02:27 AM
So losing my entire stack everytime this happens is just unlucky?

Wouldn't even have posted this but I've read in several threads that as you get more experienced you should be able to lay down kings. Before I thought these guys were crazy but recently these situations have been coming up a lot.

tdarko
04-17-2005, 03:30 AM
i think you can dance with KK preflop in just about any situation. they are going to have AA a lot less than they will, even in higher limits i will see myself up against AK, QQ and sometimes JJ, but thats also party too though.

edge
04-17-2005, 03:38 AM
At least some of the time you should be able to get away from KK vs AA, through reads or just betting patterns. Maybe I like to make huge laydowns Hellmuth style, but KK isn't the nuts, and a lot of players won't make a third raise preflop without KK or AA. When you're holding KK, AA is six times as likely (or something; anyway, it's more likely). With deep enough stacks (150+) it shouldn't be impossible to get away from it.

Of course, against a maniac, go ahead and play all-in if you want.

pzhon
04-17-2005, 03:42 AM
If you only plan to play with people who push or call all-in with AQ and JJ, don't worry about it. If you plan to play against stronger opponents, you should fix that leak, particularly when you have a stack deeper than 50 BB.

Some people say you have to be 90% sure you are up against AA to fold KK. These people haven't done the calculations. You need to be up against AA less than 75% of the time to fold to a pot-sized push, and much less than that if your pot-odds are worse.