PDA

View Full Version : Table selection, what's a good VP$IP %?

UATrewqaz
04-16-2005, 10:18 PM
I play low limit holdem and use poker tracker and after sitting at a table awhile get the VP%IP for the table, but I'm curious as to what's a bad table, average, good, and great as far as VP%IP goes? I think based on what I have seen/experience about 30% is average? Anything under is pretty tight? Anything over 40% is pretty loose and should be profitable? Are these numbers about it? If not which are? Thanks.

wrto4556
04-16-2005, 10:22 PM
I look for 28% and up.

Sat at a 50% today. Pots were averaging $90 at 3/6. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mtdoak
04-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Depends on the table. I usually will go by the ratio of TAGs/rocks to LAGs/Loose Passives. If you have 3 or more poor players at the table, its usually a good table, unless the other 7 are all TAGs. A good VPIP is anything above 30, at least for the 3/6 tables. Though, i've sat at several good tables where the VPIP was like 24. Table selection is VERY important, esp. at 3/6 or higher.

MisterKing
04-16-2005, 10:31 PM
I'd just say 30% or higher is a good general rule. Now, if you get to 30% by one guy at 90 and a bunch at 21, its not nearly as good as many at 26 and a few at 42. If you can find a 40% (and they're out there -- trust me), jump on it and be prepared to take wild swings. As Izmet Fekali says, chips are flowing your way in these loose games, though variance may be muddying the water and make it appear otherwise.

Hoi Polloi
04-16-2005, 10:44 PM
I set Game Time + to report "simple" as opposed to "weighted" averages and then I'm loosing interest in a table that goes below 25% for 3/6 or 5/10. As another poster has noted you need to weight for players you don't have a lot of hands with who may push the average up temporarily.

Good luck.