PDA

View Full Version : What is the best movie speech ever?

pshreck
04-16-2005, 09:26 PM
President's speech, in Independance Day.

And no one say Al Pacino in Any Given Sunday, other than the first person who will say it just to attempt to be funny.

bd8802
04-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Closing arguements in "A Time To Kill"

jesusarenque
04-16-2005, 09:27 PM
William Wallace: Braveheart

Jack of Arcades
04-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Alec Baldwin - Glengarry Glen Ross.

kerssens
04-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Gary in Team America with the 'dicks f$#k pussies' speech

beta1607
04-16-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pacino's speech at the end of Glengarry Glen Ross is great too.

valenzuela
04-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Charles chaplin on the dictator film.

jack spade23
04-16-2005, 09:31 PM
"Donnie was a surfer. Donnie, who loved bowling...and you took him away, God, you took him like you did those young men on hill 369.....Good night, sweet prince" (shakes ashes out from folgers can)-big lebowski

funniest scene ever

plaster8
04-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Costner's closing argument in JFK.

But Baldwin in Glengarry is hard to beat.

kerssens
04-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Also Belushi in Aminal House..."was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

HoldEm_Hero
04-16-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Coffee's for closers.

scotty34
04-16-2005, 09:33 PM
The Al Pacino 'Peace with Inches' speech was definetly the first one that popped into my mind when I saw the title of your thread. Since thats not allowed, I'm going to have to go with

'The Pact' - American Pie

Chairman Wood
04-16-2005, 09:34 PM
The Greed is Good Speech from Gordon Gecko in Wall Street.

Dead
04-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Pshreck, I hate to do it, but I must agree with you here.

Independence Day takes the cake for best movie speech:

"We will not go quietly into the night, we will not vanish without a fight, we are going to live on, we are going to survive, today, we celebrate our Independence Day!"

pshreck
04-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Just thought of this one...

Pacino at the end of Scent of a Woman

Phoenix1010
04-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Somehow I knew someone would mention the ID4 quote. It's a pretty good one, not as good as the similar Braveheart speech though.

brassnuts
04-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Vince Vaughn's speach in Swingers about how to kill the bunny... "With these claws, man!"

Phoenix1010
04-16-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just thought of this one...

Pacino at the end of Scent of a Woman

[/ QUOTE ]

This is almost unbeatable. "Out of order, I'll show you out of order! You don't know what out of order is Mr. Trask! I'd show you but I'm too old, I'm too tired, and I'm too [censored]' blind. If I were the man I was five years ago I'd take a FLAMETHROWER to this place!!"

Classic.

SinCityGuy
04-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Peter Finch, "Network"

We sit in the house and slowly the world we're living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, "Please, at least leave us alone in our own living rooms.

"Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone."

Well I'm not going to leave you alone. I want you to get mad! You've gotta say, "I'm a human being! My life has value!" So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs.

I want you to get up now and go the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this any more!"

brassnuts
04-16-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Peter Finch, "Network"

[/ QUOTE ]
We have a winner!

jesusarenque
04-16-2005, 09:44 PM
Wallace: Will you fight?

Veteran soldier: Fight? Against that? No, we will run; and we will live.

Wallace: Aye, fight and you may die. Run and you'll live -- at least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!!!

SinCityGuy
04-16-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Peter Finch, "Network"

[/ QUOTE ]
We have a winner!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was torn between that one and George C. Scott's speech in "Patton", which was also one of the all-time greats.

bisonbison
04-16-2005, 09:47 PM
"Listen, Coop. Last night was really great. You were incredibly romantic and heroic, no doubt about it. And that's great.

But I've thought about it, and my thing is this. Andy is really hot. And don't get me wrong, you're cute too, but Andy is like, cut. From marble. He's gorgeous. He has this beautiful face and this incredible body, and I genuinely don't care that he's kinda lame.

I don't even care that he cheats on me. And I like you more than I like Andy, Coop, but I'm 16. And maybe it'll be a different story when I'm ready to get married, but right now, I am entirely about sex. I just wanna get laid. I just wanna take him and grab him and fu[/i]ck his brains out, ya know?

So that's where my priorities are right now. Sex. Specifically with Andy and not with you."

pshreck
04-16-2005, 09:48 PM
What is that from?

Dead
04-16-2005, 09:49 PM
Wet Hot American Summer.

A thoroughly crappy movie, bison.

nickey009
04-16-2005, 09:50 PM
No votes for "You can't handle the truth."?

Does it have to be a speech or just a monologue?

I vote for Jack.

brassnuts
04-16-2005, 09:50 PM
One of these days, I gotta get around to watching Patton.

pshreck
04-16-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wet Hot American Summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... and its a movie that I dont even think went to theaters, and Michael Ian Black (straight) freaking makes out with a guy in it. For some weak comedy. I never understood that.

pshreck
04-16-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No votes for "You can't handle the truth."?

Does it have to be a speech or just a monologue?

I vote for Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats not a speech.

But the "You want me on that wall, you neeeeeed me on that wall..." speech is right up there.

brassnuts
04-16-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wet Hot American Summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I WANT YOU INSIDE ME!"

purnell
04-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Not sure if it qualifies, but

"I don't tip", Reservoir Dogs

Ianco15
04-16-2005, 09:53 PM
As soon as I saw the title I knew the OP was going to say: President's speech, in Independence Day. This is of course the correct answer. For anyone who hasn't heard it recently:

hear it. (http://www.americanrhetoric.com/mp3clips/newmoviespeeches/moviespeechindependenceday.mp3)

The President: Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in this history of mankind.

Mankind -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today.

We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore.

We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July; and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation.

We're fighting for our right to live, to exist.

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:

"We will not go quietly into the night.

We will not vanish without a fight.

We're going to live on.

We're going to survive."

Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/images/independenceday.JPG
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/images/independenceday2.JPG

bisonbison
04-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Dead, it's nice that we agree on nothing.

SinCityGuy
04-16-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of these days, I gotta get around to watching Patton.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great movie, with many notable scenes and quotes. But the opening speech by Patton to the recruits is the best.

"Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. Men, all this stuff you've heard about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans traditionally love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big league ball player, the toughest boxer. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war. Because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

Now, an Army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post don't know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating.

We have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit and the best men in the world. You know, by God I actually pity those poor bastards we're going up against. By God, I do. We're not just going to shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun bastards by the bushel.

Now, some of you boys, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll chicken out under fire. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you will all do your duty. The Nazis are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Shoot them in the belly. When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do.

Now there's another thing I want you to remember. I don't want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. We're not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass. We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're gonna go through him like crap through a goose.

There's one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home. And you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when you're sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what did you do in the great World War II, you won't have to say, "Well, I shoveled [censored] in Louisiana."

Alright now, you sons-of-bitches, you know how I feel. Oh, and I will be proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle - anytime, anywhere.

That is all".

Dead
04-16-2005, 09:56 PM
How could I have forgotten this one?

From Pride of the Yankees:

"Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth..."

"I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans. Look at these grand men. Which of you wouldn’t consider it the highlight of his career just to associate with them for even one day?

Sure I’m lucky.

Who wouldn’t consider it an honor to have known Jacob Ruppert? Also, the builder of baseball’s greatest empire, Ed Barrow? To have spent six years with that wonderful little fellow, Miller Huggins? Then to have spent the next nine years with that outstanding leader, that smart student of psychology, the best manager in baseball today, Joe McCarthy?

Sure I’m lucky.

When the New York Giants, a team you would give your right arm to beat, and vice versa, sends you a gift - that’s something. When everybody down to the groundskeepers and those boys in white coats remember you with trophies -- that’s something.

When you have a wonderful mother-in-law who takes sides with you in squabbles with her own daughter -- that’s something.

When you have a father and a mother who work all their lives so you can have an education and build your body -- it’s a blessing.

When you have a wife who has been a tower of strength and shown more courage than you dreamed existed -- that’s the finest I know.

So, I close in saying that I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

-Lou Gehrig

sam h
04-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Brass Balls!

Loci
04-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Good posts so far... good call on scent of a woman(ANY well placed reference to a flamethrower in a school deserves respect), Braveheart(naturally) is always a favorite, but where's the fight club love? The whole movie is a speech for the re-empowerment of the masculine hegemony in a proletariat revolution...

-Still, my vote goes to Matthew Broderick at the end of Glory.

wacki
04-16-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dead, it's nice that we agree on nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many posters on 2+2 have said this???? Dead, I think you might of set a record.

Alobar
04-16-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vince Vaughn's speach in Swingers about how to kill the bunny... "With these claws, man!"

[/ QUOTE ]

fluxrad
04-16-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best...speech...EVAR.

"[censored] YOU! That's my name."

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
04-16-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gary in Team America with the 'dicks f$#k pussies' speech

[/ QUOTE ]

Bigdaddydvo
04-16-2005, 10:34 PM
St Crispian's Day Speech...Henry V.

Not even close.

fluxrad
04-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Harris: What's your name?

Baldwin: [censored] you, that's my name. You know why mister? Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an 80,000 dollar BMW. That's my name. (To Lemmon) And your name is you're wanting. You can't play in the man's game, you can't close them? Then go home and tell your wife your troubles. Because only one thing counts in this life. Get them to sign on the line which is dotted. You hear me you [censored]' faggots.
(Flips the blackboard)

ABC. A, Always, B, Be, C, Closing. Always be closing. Always be closing. AIDA. Attention. Interest. Decision. Action. Attention. Do I have your attention? Interest. Are you interested? I know you are 'cause it's [censored] or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision. Have you made your decision for Christ? And action. AIDA. Get out there. You got the prospects coming in, you think they came in to get out of the rain? A guy don't walk on the lot lest he wants to buy. They're sitting out there waiting to give you their money. Are you going to take it? Are you man enough to take it? (To Harris) What's the problem, pal?

Baldwin: You see this watch? You see this watch?

Harris: Yeah.

Baldwin: That watch costs more than your car. I made 970,000 dollars last year, how much you make? You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a [censored]. Good father. [censored] you, go home and play with your kids. You want to work here, close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cock-sucker. You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit. If you don't like it, leave. I can go out there tonight, the materials you got, make myself 15,000 dollars. Tonight. In two hours. Can you? Can you?

Go and do likewise. AIDA. Get mad you son-of-a-bitch. Get mad. You know what it takes to sell real-estate? It takes brass balls to sell real estate. Go and do likewise, gents. The money's out there, you pick it up, it's yours, you don't, I got no sympathy for you. You want to go out on those sits tonight and close, close, it's yours, if not, you're going to be shining my shoes. And you know what you'll be saying. Bunch of losers sitting around in a bar: ''Oh yeah, I used to be a salesman. It's a tough racket.''

These are the new leads. These are the Glengarry leads. And to you, they're gold. And you don't get them. Why? Because to give them to you is just throwing them away. They're for closers. I'd wish you good luck, but you wouldn't know what to do with it if you got it. (To Harris) And to answer your question, pal: Why am I here? I came here because Mitch and Murray asked me to, they asked me for a favor. I said the real favor, follow my advice and fire your [censored]' ass because a loser is a loser.

It's not even CLOSE.

RED FACE
04-16-2005, 10:42 PM
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechotherpeople'smoneydevito.html

Other People's Money. It can only be really appreciated after hearing the rha rha cheerleading speech by Gregory Peck.

Thythe
04-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Maybe this doesn't qualify as a speech and only a monologue, but kevin spacey's description of keyser soze in usual suspects is awesome (he is supposed to be turkish...)

blendedsuit
04-16-2005, 10:52 PM
You know what cheers me up when I'm felling shitty? Rolled up aces over kings. Check raising stupid tourists,and taking huge pots off 'em. Stacks and towers of Checks I can't see over, playing all night High-Limit Hold'Em at the Taj, where the sand turns to gold. Worm

touchfaith
04-16-2005, 10:53 PM
We gotta win that fight. I'm gonna get EVEN with those little Socs! Let's do it for Johnny, man. We're gonna do for Johnny!

Well...Or that Patton thing. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

thatpfunk
04-16-2005, 11:00 PM
The situation that brings about this speech makes it extremely badass:

Clifford Worley: You're Sicilian, huh?

Coccotti: Yeah, Sicilian.

Clifford Worley: Ya know, I read a lot. Especially about things... about history. I find that [censored] fascinating. Here's a fact I don't know whether you know or not. Sicilians were spawned by niggers.

Coccotti: Come again?

Clifford Worley: It's a fact. Yeah. You see, uh, Sicilians have, uh, black blood pumpin' through their hearts. Hey, no, if eh, if eh, if you don't believe me, uh, you can look it up. Hundreds and hundreds of years ago, uh, you see, uh, the Moors conquered Sicily. And the Moors are niggers.

Coccotti: Yes...

Clifford Worley: So you see, way back then, uh, Sicilians were like, uh, wops from Northern Italy. Ah, they all had blonde hair and blue eyes, but, uh, well, then the Moors moved in there, and uh, well, they changed the whole country. They did so much [censored]' with Sicilian women, huh? That they changed the whole bloodline forever. That's why blonde hair and blue eyes became black hair and dark skin. You know, it's absolutely amazing to me to think that to this day, hundreds of years later, that, uh, that Sicilians still carry that nigger gene. Now this...

[Coccotti busts out laughing]

Clifford Worley: No, I'm, no, I'm quoting... history. It's written. It's a fact, it's written.

Coccotti: [Laughing] I love this guy.

Clifford Worley: Your ancestors are niggers. Uh-huh.
[Starts laughing, too]

Clifford Worley: Hey. Yeah. And, and your great-great-great-great grandmother [censored] a nigger, ho, ho, yeah, and she had a half-nigger kid... now, if that's a fact, tell me, am I lying? 'Cause you, you're part eggplant.

[all laugh]

Vincenzo Coccotti: Ohhh!

Clifford Worley: Huh? Hey! Hey! Hey!

[motioning with his hand three times]

Vincenzo Coccotti: You're a cantaloupe.
[all laugh]

wacki
04-16-2005, 11:05 PM
awesome movie

Alobar
04-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Im suprised no one has mentioned the inspirational speech from "harold and kumar go to white castle" yet /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dsm
04-16-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The "Greed is Good Speech" from Gordon Gecko in Wall Street.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like that speech you'd probably like the "Buggy Whip Speech" by Danny DeVito in "Other People's Money," which I assume was influenced by the Gecko speech done four years earlier.

-dsm http://www.geocities.com/~jbenz/gr_ani.gif

Jack of Arcades
04-16-2005, 11:13 PM
I just thought of it.

JMP300z
04-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Animal House Speech.

Period.

cant believe noones mentioned this.

kerssens
04-16-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Animal House Speech.

Period.

cant believe noones mentioned this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm someone

Jeff W
04-16-2005, 11:46 PM
Jimmy Stewart's speech in Mr. Smith Goes To Washington is a pretty good one. Actually, Jimmy Stewart's speeches rule in general.

Jeff W
04-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Pardon my ignorance. What movie is that from?

fluxrad
04-17-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pardon my ignorance. What movie is that from?

[/ QUOTE ]

The "closer" speech is from Glenngary Glen Ross. It was originally a David Mamet play, made into a movie. It's also probably one of the most "intense" movies ever made.

renodoc
04-17-2005, 12:18 AM
Take the draw.

Look at the board.

I have.

Take the draw.

Alobar
04-17-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jimmy Stewart's speeches rule in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

word. To bad I bet most of the people in this forum havent seen more than 1 jimmy stewert movie

A_C_Slater
04-17-2005, 01:21 AM
So far I think the best one mentioned is the Patton speech.

But by far the greatest monologue is Patrick Bateman's at the beginning and the end of American Psycho.

The beginning

"...There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there .

The End

There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it, I have now surpassed.

My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape. But even after admitting this, there is no catharsis. I gain no deeper knowledge about myself , no new understanding can be extracted from my telling. There has been no reason for me to tell you any of this. This confession has meant nothing. "

chesspain
04-17-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

President's (Michael Douglas's) speech, in The American President.

Edge34
04-17-2005, 01:54 AM
Hackman's speech to his team before the Hickory High state title game in Hoosiers

(also including the scene, although not exactly a speech, where he has his players measure the court in Indianapolis)

Dominic
04-17-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

And no one say Al Pacino in Any Given Sunday, other than the first person who will say it just to attempt to be funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus,this is so hilariously bad I can barely comment. But I will.

Let me get this straight: you start a thread on the best movie speeck - EVER - and you choose...."Independence Day"????

Have you ever actually seen a good movie? Or one made before 1993??

I mean, when one talks about movie speeches, one immediately thinks about,oh, I don't know.....how about:

Rick's "Two people's troubles don't amount to a hill of beans" speech in "Casablanca;"

Henry Fonda's "We'll be there," from The Grapes of Wrath;"

Deniro's "you talkin' to me?" from "Taxi Driver;"

George C. Scott at the beginning of "Patton;"

Spencer Tracy at the end of "Look Who's Coming to Dinner;"

Gregory Peck's final oration in "To Kill a Mockingbird;"

Jimmy Stewart's fillibuster in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington;"

Jack Nicholson's "We have walls in this country" in "A Few Good Men;"

Spencer Tracy (again) at the end of "Inherit the Wind;"

Vivian Leigh's "I'll never go hungry again" from "Gone With the Wind;"

Robert Shaw's story of the sinking of the Indianapolis, from "Jaws;"

and I'm sure I could come up with a hundred more - just off the top of my head.

But Independene Day??? Really???

Dude - go to the video store and start renting movies that don't star Adam Sandler. Nothing wrong with Adam Sandler movies - but there's obviously a whole world of cinema that you're missing.

Dominic
04-17-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

"We will not go quietly into the night, we will not vanish without a fight, we are going to live on, we are going to survive, today, we celebrate our Independence Day!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus God in heaven.

Yes, it was a rousing speech. Bad movie, rousing speech.

But let's give credit to where this speech is really taken from:

it's a mixing of a poem by Dylan Thomas and Shakespeare's St. Crispen's Day speech from Henry V.

I'm still flabbergasted that not only one, but two people have picked "Independence Day" for this thread.

Alobar
04-17-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with Adam Sandler movies

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, you were doing so well in your post until this sentance. There was nothing wrong with adam sandler movies, then he started making movies that suck, and thats all he does now.

tdarko
04-17-2005, 02:02 AM
i thought pacino's speech in "scent of a woman" was better.

tdarko
04-17-2005, 02:03 AM
oops i posted before reading, sorry pshreck

A_C_Slater
04-17-2005, 02:04 AM
You mean you don't consider Jerry Bruckheimer films to be quality cinema?

andyfox
04-17-2005, 02:04 AM
Not quite sure if they all qualify as speeches, but some of my favorite speeches/monologues are:

-Charlie Chaplin's at the end of The Great Dictator

-Jack Nicholson's in the church near the end of The Withces of Eastwick

-Henry Fonda's in the bar in The Ox-bow Incident

-Al Pacino's in the church in City Hall

-George C. Scott's at the beginning of Patton

-Peter Finch's "I'm Mad as Hell" in Network

-Michael Douglas's "Greed is Good" in Wall Street

-Alec Baldwin's "A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing" in Glengarry, Glenross

A_C_Slater
04-17-2005, 02:06 AM
What about Mr. Miyagi's speech to Daniel-son at the end of Karate Kid part 3.

"Daniel-son! Daniel-son! Aye, Aye, Okay lose opponent, must not lose fear, you best karate still inside, now time let out, let out!"

chesspain
04-17-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Robert Shaw's story of the sinking of the Indianapolis, from "Jaws;"

[/ QUOTE ]

fluxrad
04-17-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, you were doing so well in your post until this sentance. There was nothing wrong with adam sandler movies, then he started making movies that suck, and thats all he does now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, what?

Punch Drunk Love was friggin' beautiful.

andyfox
04-17-2005, 02:16 AM
Alec Baldwin: Let me have your attention for a moment. 'Cause you're talkin' about what...you're talkin' 'bout...bitchin' about that sale you shot, some son of a bitch don't want to buy land, somebody don't want what you're selling, some broad you're trying to screw, so forth, let's talk about something important. Are they all here?

Kevin Spacey: All but one.

Baldwin: Well, I'm going anyway. Let's talk about something important. (sees Lemmon pouring coffee). Put that coffee down. Coffee's for closer's only. You think I'm [censored]' with you? I am not funkin' with you. I'm here from downtown. I'm here from Mitch and Murray. And I'm here on a mission of mercy. Your name's Levine?

Jack Lemmon: Yeah.

Baldwin: You call yourself a salesman, you son of a bitch.

Ed Harris: I don't gotta listen to this [censored].

Baldwin: You certainly don't pal 'cause the good news is you're fired. The bad news is you got all you got, just one week to regain your job, starting with tonight, starting with tonight's sits. Oh, have I got your attention now? Good. 'Cause we're adding a little something to this month's sale contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anybody want to see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is your fired. You get the picture? You laughing now? You got leads. Mitch and Murray paid good money. Get their names to sell them. You can't close the leads you're given, you can't close [censored], you are [censored], hit the bricks pal and beat it 'cause you are going out.

Lemmon: The leads are weak.

Baldwin: The leads are weak. The [censored]' leads are weak? You're weak. I've been in this business 15 years ...

Harris: What's your name?

Baldwin: [censored] you, that's my name. You know why mister? Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an 80,000 dollar BMW. That's my name. (To Lemmon) And your name is you're wanting. You can't play in the man's game, you can't close them? Then go home and tell your wife your troubles. Because only one thing counts in this life. Get them to sign on the line which is dotted. You hear me you [censored]' faggots.
(Flips the blackboard)

ABC. A, Always, B, Be, C, Closing. Always be closing. Always be closing. AIDA. Attention. Interest. Decision. Action. Attention. Do I have your attention? Interest. Are you interested? I know you are 'cause it's [censored] or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision. Have you made your decision for Christ? And action. AIDA. Get out there. You got the prospects coming in, you think they came in to get out of the rain? A guy don't walk on the lot lest he wants to buy. They're sitting out there waiting to give you their money. Are you going to take it? Are you man enough to take it? (To Harris) What's the problem, pal?

Harris: You, boss, you're such a hero, you're so rich, how come you're coming down here and wasting your time with such a bunch of bums?

Baldwin: You see this watch? You see this watch?

Harris: Yeah.

Baldwin: That watch costs more than your car. I made 970,000 dollars last year, how much you make? You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a [censored]. Good father. [censored] you, go home and play with your kids. You want to work here, close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cock-sucker. You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit. If you don't like it, leave. I can go out there tonight, the materials you got, make myself 15,000 dollars. Tonight. In two hours. Can you? Can you?

Go and do likewise. AIDA. Get mad you son-of-a-bitch. Get mad. You know what it takes to sell real-estate? It takes brass balls to sell real estate. Go and do likewise, gents. The money's out there, you pick it up, it's yours, you don't, I got no sympathy for you. You want to go out on those sits tonight and close, close, it's yours, if not, you're going to be shining my shoes. And you know what you'll be saying. Bunch of losers sitting around in a bar: ''Oh yeah, I used to be a salesman. It's a tough racket.''

These are the new leads. These are the Glengarry leads. And to you, they're gold. And you don't get them. Why? Because to give them to you is just throwing them away. They're for closers. I'd wish you good luck, but you wouldn't know what to do with it if you got it. (To Harris) And to answer your question, pal: Why am I here? I came here because Mitch and Murray asked me to, they asked me for a favor. I said the real favor, follow my advice and fire your [censored]' ass because a loser is a loser.

WillMagic
04-17-2005, 02:21 AM
My favorites of those mentioned:

-Peter Finch's "I'm mad as hell" speech in Network

-George C. Scott's "You don't win a war by dying for our country..." speech in Patton

-Alec Baldwin's "It takes brass balls.." speech in Glengarry Glen Ross

-Al Pacino tears Kevin Spacey a new one in Glengarry Glen Ross

-Dennis Hopper's "Sicilians are Niggers..." from True Romance

Some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned:

-Nicholson's "Chicken Salad" from Five Easy Pieces

-Tarantino's explication of "Like a Virgin" from Reservoir Dogs

-Lucy Liu's "...And I promise you, no subject will be taboo..." from Kill Bill I.

-David Carradine's explication of Superman in Kill Bill II.

And one you probably don't remember/haven't heard of...

-Ben Kingsley's "NO! NO NO NO NO NO! NO!" speech from Sexy Beast.

But at the end of the day, nothing beats Brass Balls.

Will

andyfox
04-17-2005, 02:24 AM
"Ben Kingsley's "NO! NO NO NO NO NO! NO!" speech from Sexy Beast."

Wasn't it "YES! YES! YES! YES! YES YES! YES!"?

I missed probably half of the dialogue due to the Cockney accents, but Kingsley's performance was astounding, right up there with Anthony Hopkins' in Silence of the Lambs. I particularly liked when the flight attendant approached him on the plane when he was smoking.

Benholio
04-17-2005, 02:26 AM
A couple of my favorite movie monologues come from Good Will Hunting.

The "..one, don't do that. Two, you just spent 40 grand on a college education you could have had for 40 dollars worth of late fees at the library." rant is a good one.

My favorite, though, is the "Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.?" (http://www.whysanity.net/monos/goodwill.html) one.

Thythe
04-17-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
-David Carradine's explication of Superman in Kill Bill II.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this one too. Clearly not best ever, but it's good.

LALDAAS
04-17-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
William Wallace: Braveheart

[/ QUOTE ]

And the end of "scent of a woman"

tpir90036
04-17-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

"We will not go quietly into the night, we will not vanish without a fight, we are going to live on, we are going to
survive, today, we celebrate our Independence Day!"

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you two serious? You do realize that the President was played by Bill Pullman and that he is a miserable actor, right? That was such a horribly cheesy scene. I remember being embarassed to watch it when I saw that movie in the theater.

pshreck
04-17-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I remember being embarassed to watch it when I saw that movie in the theater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have an anxiety disorder?

DcifrThs
04-17-2005, 02:47 AM
Charlie chapman's speach from The Great Dictator when he is Himler at the end.

-Barron

Dead
04-17-2005, 02:48 AM
Bill Pullman is not a miserable actor.

tdarko
04-17-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You do realize that the President was played by Bill Pullman and that he is a miserable actor, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
he played a decent catatonic in Igby Goes Down

tpir90036
04-17-2005, 02:51 AM
Ha ha ha. Not that I am aware of. It was just one of those scenes that was so bad that it made you feel bad for having watched it. Kind of like every single one of Will Smith's lines that he is given in almost every movie he does.

Dantes
04-17-2005, 03:04 AM
I liked affleck's cameo speech thing in boiler room.

A_C_Slater
04-17-2005, 03:11 AM
"In this life, no one meets you half way, you have to go for it." --- Stallone in Over The Top

Daliman
04-17-2005, 03:18 AM
CLIFF
Oh, don't bother. I got one.
(he lights the cigarette)
So you're a Sicilian, huh?

COCCOTTI
(intensly)
Uh-huh.

CLIFF
You know I read a lot. Especially things that have to do with history. I find that [censored] fascinating. In fact, I don't know if you know this or not, Sicilians were spawned by niggers.

All the men stop what they were doing and look at Cliff, except for Tooth-pic Vic who doesn't speak English and so isn't insulted. Coccotti can't believe what he's hearing.

COCCOTTI
Come again?

CLIFF
It's a fact. Sicilians have nigger blood pumpin' through their hearts. If you don't believe me, look it up. You see, hundreds and hundreds of years ago the Moors conquered Sicily. And Moors are niggers. Way back then, Sicilians were like the wops in northern Italy. Blond hair, blue eyes. But, once the Moors moved in there, they changed the whole country. They did so much [censored]' with the Sicilian women, they changed the blood-line for ever, from blond hair and blue eyes to black hair and dark skin. I find it absolutely amazing to think that to this day, hundreds of years later, Sicilians still carry that nigger gene. I'm just quotin' history. It's a fact. It's written. Your ancestors were niggers. Your great, great, great, great, great- grandmother was [censored] by a nigger, and had a half-nigger kid. That is a fact. Now tell me, am I lyin'?

Matt Flynn
04-17-2005, 03:27 AM
Independence Day blew. Same director did Day After Tomorrow with the gratuitous cancer kid and 30 other gratuitous hamhanded stuff-ins.

First to mind (but not the best) is Dennis Hopper talking to Christopher Walken in the trailer killing scene in True Romance?

Overall I think we're missing some excellent dramatic scenes.

Matt

dr. klopek
04-17-2005, 03:33 AM
The president's speech in independence day is the worst, cheesiest piece of hollywood garbage I've had the misfortune to sit through.

I say the speech at the end of "How to Get Ahead in Advertising."

BTW, wet hot american summer kicks ass.

[ QUOTE ]
Dennis Hopper talking to Christopher Walken in the trailer killing scene in True Romance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored]! I forgot about this one!! This one for sure.

A_C_Slater
04-17-2005, 03:34 AM
"They say your son... squealed like a girl, as they nailed him to the cross... and your wife moaned like a whore as they ravaged her again, and again, and again."-- Commodous trying to pick a fight with Maximus in Gladiator

ucfryan
04-17-2005, 03:58 AM
Without a [censored] doubt it's Patton.

[ QUOTE ]

Great movie, with many notable scenes and quotes. But the opening speech by Patton to the recruits is the best.

"Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. Men, all this stuff you've heard about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans traditionally love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big league ball player, the toughest boxer. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war. Because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

Now, an Army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post don't know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating.

We have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit and the best men in the world. You know, by God I actually pity those poor bastards we're going up against. By God, I do. We're not just going to shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun bastards by the bushel.

Now, some of you boys, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll chicken out under fire. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you will all do your duty. The Nazis are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Shoot them in the belly. When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do.

Now there's another thing I want you to remember. I don't want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. We're not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass. We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're gonna go through him like crap through a goose.

There's one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home. And you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when you're sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what did you do in the great World War II, you won't have to say, "Well, I shoveled [censored] in Louisiana."

Alright now, you sons-of-bitches, you know how I feel. Oh, and I will be proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle - anytime, anywhere.

That is all".

[/ QUOTE ]

maryfield48
04-17-2005, 03:58 AM
No love for Bill Murray's "It just doesn't matter!" speech in Meatballs?

Pacino's funeral service speech in City Heat also kicks ass.

usmfan
04-17-2005, 04:10 AM
How about Robert Duvall's "Napalm in the morning" speech in Apocalypse Now?

maryfield48
04-17-2005, 04:15 AM
Of course that Pacino movie should be 'City Hall'. Here's the speech:

Mayor John Pappas: I was warned not to come here. I was warned. They warned me, "Don't stand behind that coffin." But why should I heed such a warning, when a heartbeat is silent and a child lies dead? "Don't stand behind" this coffin. That boy was as pure and as innocent as the driven snow. But I must stand here, because I have not given you what you should have.

Until we can walk abroad and recreate ourselves; until we can stroll along the streets like boulevards; congregate in parks free from fear, our families mingling, our children laughing, our hearts joined - until that day we have no city. You can label me a failure until that day.

The first and perhaps only great mayor was Greek. He was Pericles of Athens, and he lived some 2500 years ago, and he said, "All things good on this Earth flow into the City, because of the City's greatness." Well, we were great once. Can we not be great again? Now, I put that question to James Bone, and there's only silence. Yet could not something pass from this sweet youth to me? Could he not empower me to find in myself the strength to have the knowledge to summon up the courage to accomplish this seemingly insurmountable task of making a city livable? Just livable. There was a palace that was a city. It was a PALACE! It was a PALACE and it CAN BE A PALACE AGAIN! A PALACE, in which there is no king or queen, or dukes or earls or princes, but subjects all: subjects beholden to each other, to make a better place to live. Is that too much to ask?

Audience: No!

Mayor John Pappas: Are we asking too much for this?

Audience: No!

Mayor John Pappas: Is it beyond our reach?

Some Audience Members: No!

Mayor John Pappas: Because if it is, then we are nothing but sheep being herded to the final SLAUGHTERHOUSE! I will not go down, THAT WAY!

[The audience begins shouting approval]

Mayor John Pappas: I choose to FIGHT BACK! I choose to RISE, not fall! I choose to LIVE, not die! And I know, I know that what's within me is also WITHIN YOU.

Audience Member: Amen!

Mayor John Pappas: That's why I ask you now to join me. Join me, RISE UP with me, RISE UP on the wings of this slain angel.

[Audience members begin shouting "Yes" at every pause]

Mayor John Pappas: We'll rebuild on the soul of this little warrior. We will pick up his standard and RAISE it high! Carry it forward until THIS CITY - YOUR CITY - OUR CITY - HIS CITY - IS A PALACE OF GOD! IS A PALACE OF GOD! I am with you, little James. I am you.

WillMagic
04-17-2005, 04:23 AM
I think that the YES speech was earlier in the film, in the kitchen in the morning, and the NO speech was later in the film after the stewardess confrontation.

Edit: I liked the YES scene as well, but that was more of a conversation. When Kingsley is on the porch just railing at Gal and Aitch and Aitch's wife for like a minute straight is the speech that I'm thinking of.

Will

A_C_Slater
04-17-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about Robert Duvall's "Napalm in the morning" speech in Apocalypse Now?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Brando's "pile of little arms" speech from the same movie?

Or the beginning when they're listening to the recording of Col. Kurtz going insane.

"In my dreams I see a snake crawling along the edge of a straight razor and...surviving....that is my dream, that is my nightmare. A snake crawling...crawling along the edge... of a razor."

This is the jist of it, but I can't remember if he says slithering, sliding, or crawling along the edge. Can anyone remember?

rmarotti
04-17-2005, 05:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oreogod
04-17-2005, 06:19 AM
Dennis Hoppers speach to Christopher Walken in True Romance. talking about where wops (read: italians came from).

I think David carradines "Superman" speech in Kill Bill vol 2 was pretty good, as is most of the stuff quentin has written.

--anything out of Magnolia or Boogie nights is pretty good to.

Seriously though, anything by pacino, that man was made to monologue.
"The world is one giant pussy, just waiting to get [censored]."

oreogod
04-17-2005, 06:28 AM
Clifford Worley (Dennis Hopper): You're Sicilian, huh?
Coccotti (Christopher Walken): Yeah, Sicilian.
Clifford Worley: Ya know, I read a lot. Especially about things... about history. I find that [censored] fascinating. Here's a fact I don't know whether you know or not. Sicilians were spawned by niggers.
Coccotti: Come again?
Clifford Worley: It's a fact. Yeah. You see, uh, Sicilians have, uh, black blood pumpin' through their hearts. Hey, no, if eh, if eh, if you don't believe me, uh, you can look it up. Hundreds and hundreds of years ago, uh, you see, uh, the Moors conquered Sicily. And the Moors are niggers.
Coccotti: Yes...
Clifford Worley: So you see, way back then, uh, Sicilians were like, uh, wops from Northern Italy. Ah, they all had blonde hair and blue eyes, but, uh, well, then the Moors moved in there, and uh, well, they changed the whole country. They did so much [censored]' with Sicilian women, huh? That they changed the whole bloodline forever. That's why blonde hair and blue eyes became black hair and dark skin. You know, it's absolutely amazing to me to think that to this day, hundreds of years later, that, uh, that Sicilians still carry that nigger gene. Now this...
[Coccotti busts out laughing]
Clifford Worley: No, I'm, no, I'm quoting... history. It's written. It's a fact, it's written.
Coccotti: [Laughing] I love this guy.
Clifford Worley: Your ancestors are niggers. Uh-huh.
[Starts laughing, too]
Clifford Worley: Hey. Yeah. And, and your great-great-great-great grandmother [censored] a nigger, ho, ho, yeah, and she had a half-nigger kid... now, if that's a fact, tell me, am I lying? 'Cause you, you're part eggplant.

SUPERMAN speech from Kill Bill

Bill: An essential characteristic of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero, and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When he wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic that Superman stands alone. Superman did not become Superman, Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears, the glasses, the business suit, that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He's weak, he's unsure of himself... he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race. Sort of like Beatrix Kiddo and Mrs. Tommy Plympton.

And of course from dusk till dawn:
Chet Pussy: Pussy, pussy, pussy! All pussy must go. At the Titty Twister we're slashing pussy in half! This is a pussy blow out! Make us an offer on our vast selection of pussy! We got white pussy, black pussy, Spanish pussy, yellow pussy, hot pussy, cold pussy, wet pussy, tight pussy, big pussy, bloody pussy, fat pussy, hairy pussy, smelly pussy, velvet pussy, silk pussy, Naugahyde pussy, snappin' pussy, horse pussy, dog pussy, chicken pussy, fake pussy! If we don't have it, you don't want it!

2nd monolgue
Chet Pussy: Attention pussy shoppers! Take advantage of our penny pussy sale! If you buy one piece of pussy at the regular price, you get another piece of pussy of equal or lesser value for only a penny! Try and beat pussy for a penny! If you can find cheaper pussy anywhere, [censored] it!

And lastly another Christopher walken speech from Poolhall Junkies
Mike: You watch those nature documentaries on the cable? You see the one about lions? You got this lion. He's the king of the jungle, huge mane out to here. He's laying under a tree, in the middle of Africa. He's so big, it's so hot. He doesn't want to move. Now the little lions come, they start messing with him. Biting his tail, biting his ears. He doesn't do anything. The lioness, she starts messing with him. Coming over, making trouble. Still nothing. Now the other animals, they notice this. They start to move in. The jackals; hyenas. They're barking at him, laughing at him. They nip his toes, and eat the food that's in his domain. They do this, then they get closer and closer, bolder and bolder. Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the [censored] out of everybody. Runs like the wind, eats everything in his path. Cause every once in a while, the lion has to show the jackals, who he is.

oreogod
04-17-2005, 06:41 AM
heres the speech you are looking for:

Kurtz: I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving.

also honorable mention from the same movie:

Kurtz: I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror. Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies. I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment. Because it's judgment that defeats us.

Jeff W
04-17-2005, 09:32 AM
You have good taste.

Jeff W
04-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Good choices.

hoyaboy1
04-17-2005, 09:51 AM
One I liked that hasn't been mentioned:

Marlon Brando, I coulda been a contender, On the Waterfront

JMP300z
04-17-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Mike: You watch those nature documentaries on the cable? You see the one about lions? You got this lion. He's the king of the jungle, huge mane out to here. He's laying under a tree, in the middle of Africa. He's so big, it's so hot. He doesn't want to move. Now the little lions come, they start messing with him. Biting his tail, biting his ears. He doesn't do anything. The lioness, she starts messing with him. Coming over, making trouble. Still nothing. Now the other animals, they notice this. They start to move in. The jackals; hyenas. They're barking at him, laughing at him. They nip his toes, and eat the food that's in his domain. They do this, then they get closer and closer, bolder and bolder. Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the [censored] out of everybody. Runs like the wind, eats everything in his path. Cause every once in a while, the lion has to show the jackals, who he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

RED FACE
04-17-2005, 10:43 AM
not sure it counts but it was well delivered...

"What are you waiting for sweethearts, breakfast in bed? Ahh, another glorious day in the Corp. A day in the Corp is like a day on the farm: every meal a banquet, every Paycheck a Treasure, Every Formation a Parade. I LOVE THE CORP!!!

ArchAngel71857
04-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Dark Helmet: What the Hell am I looking at?! When does this happen in the movie?!
Col. Sandurz: Now! You're looking at "now," sir. Everything that happens now is happening "now."
Dark Helmet: What happened to "then?"
Col. Sandurz: We passed it.
Dark Helmet: When?
Col. Sandurz: Just now. We're at now "now."
Dark Helmet: Go back to "then."
Col. Sandurz: When?
Dark Helmet: Now.
Col. Sandurz: Now?!
Dark Helmet: Now!
Col. Sandurz: I can't.
Dark Helmet: Why?
Col. Sandurz: We missed it.
Col. Sandurz: Just now.
Dark Helmet: When will "then" be "now?"
Col. Sandurz: Soon.
Dark Helmet: How soon?
Spaceball: Sir!
Dark Helmet: What?
Spaceball: We've identified their location.
Dark Helmet: Where?
Spaceball: It's the moon of Vega.
Col. Sandurz: Good work. Set a course and prepare for our arrival.
Spaceball: Nineteen-hundred hours.
Col. Sandurz: Buy high noon tomorrow they will be our prisoners.
Dark Helmet: Who?!

-AA

twang
04-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Is everyone voting for the Independance Day speech serious or do I need to tune my sarcasm detector?

/twang

B00T
04-17-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was surprsingly good despite who it came from.

miajag81
04-17-2005, 11:42 AM
I think people are serious. Say what you want about the movie, you have to admit that speech was the nuts.

miajag81
04-17-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was pretty good, but I felt like it was copied from Baldwin's speech in Glengarry Glen Ross.

BigHef
04-17-2005, 11:48 AM
I'll put in a vote for Affleck in Boiler Room too, its a belter.

Best ever though - Frank The Tanks debate speech in Old School - 'what happened? I blacked out - That's how you do it! That's how you debate!'

twang
04-17-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think people are serious. Say what you want about the movie, you have to admit that speech was the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nuts, yes.

/twang

IndieMatty
04-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Alec Baldwin from Glengarry Glen Ross. And it's not fn close.

IndieMatty
04-17-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, what?

Punch Drunk Love was friggin' beautiful.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was, but thats more of a PTA movie, then a Sandler movie. It's been downhill since Waterboy. (Big Daddy was good though.)

IndieMatty
04-17-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was pretty good, but I felt like it was copied from Baldwin's speech in Glengarry Glen Ross.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did it as an ode to GGRo

Phat Mack
04-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Bud's (Harry Dean Stanton) "Code of the Repo Man" speech in Repo Man.

More's speech to Roper in A Man for all Seasons.

bort411
04-17-2005, 12:45 PM
"Cause, ya see, twice, Sarah... once at Ames with Minnesota Fats and then again at Arthur's, in that cheap, crummy pool room, now why'd I do it, Sarah? Why'd I do it? I coulda beat that guy, coulda beat 'im cold, he never woulda known. But I just hadda show 'im. Just hadda show those creeps and those punks what the game is like when it's great, when it's REALLY great. You know, like anything can be great, anything can be great. I don't care, BRICKLAYING can be great, if a guy knows. If he knows what he's doing and why and if he can make it come off. When I'm goin', I mean, when I'm REALLY goin' I feel like a... like a jockey must feel. He's sittin' on his horse, he's got all that speed and that power underneath him... he's comin' into the stretch, the pressure's on 'im, and he KNOWS... just feels... when to let it go and how much. Cause he's got everything workin' for 'im, timing touch... it's a great feeling, boy, it's a real great feeling when you're right and you KNOW you're right. It's like all of a sudden I got oil in my arm. The pool cue's part of me. You know, it's uh - pool cue, it's got nerves in it. It's a piece of wood, it's got nerves in it. Feel the roll of those balls, you don't have to look, you just KNOW. You make shots that nobody's ever made before. I can play that game the way... NOBODY'S ever played it before."

Nick-Zack
04-17-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also Belushi in Aminal House..."was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Dominic
04-17-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dark Helmet: What the Hell am I looking at?! When does this happen in the movie?!
Col. Sandurz: Now! You're looking at "now," sir. Everything that happens now is happening "now."
Dark Helmet: What happened to "then?"
Col. Sandurz: We passed it.
Col. Sandurz: Just now. We're at now "now."
Dark Helmet: Go back to "then."
Col. Sandurz: When?
Dark Helmet: Now.
Col. Sandurz: Now?!
Dark Helmet: Now!
Col. Sandurz: I can't.
Dark Helmet: Why?
Col. Sandurz: We missed it.
Col. Sandurz: Just now.
Dark Helmet: When will "then" be "now?"
Col. Sandurz: Soon.
Dark Helmet: How soon?
Spaceball: Sir!
Dark Helmet: What?
Spaceball: We've identified their location.
Dark Helmet: Where?
Spaceball: It's the moon of Vega.
Col. Sandurz: Good work. Set a course and prepare for our arrival.
Spaceball: Nineteen-hundred hours.
Col. Sandurz: Buy high noon tomorrow they will be our prisoners.
Dark Helmet: Who?!

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny bit. But it ain't a speech.

Dominic
04-17-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Cause, ya see, twice, Sarah... once at Ames with Minnesota Fats and then again at Arthur's, in that cheap, crummy pool room, now why'd I do it, Sarah? Why'd I do it? I coulda beat that guy, coulda beat 'im cold, he never woulda known. But I just hadda show 'im. Just hadda show those creeps and those punks what the game is like when it's great, when it's REALLY great. You know, like anything can be great, anything can be great. I don't care, BRICKLAYING can be great, if a guy knows. If he knows what he's doing and why and if he can make it come off. When I'm goin', I mean, when I'm REALLY goin' I feel like a... like a jockey must feel. He's sittin' on his horse, he's got all that speed and that power underneath him... he's comin' into the stretch, the pressure's on 'im, and he KNOWS... just feels... when to let it go and how much. Cause he's got everything workin' for 'im, timing touch... it's a great feeling, boy, it's a real great feeling when you're right and you KNOW you're right. It's like all of a sudden I got oil in my arm. The pool cue's part of me. You know, it's uh - pool cue, it's got nerves in it. It's a piece of wood, it's got nerves in it. Feel the roll of those balls, you don't have to look, you just KNOW. You make shots that nobody's ever made before. I can play that game the way... NOBODY'S ever played it before."

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice choice. "The Hustler" is freakin' brilliant.

I'd also like to mention just about anything in "The Lion in Winter," with Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn.

CallMeIshmael
04-17-2005, 03:03 PM
http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/WanadooFilms/Misdaad/PulpHorloge1.jpg

Hello, little man. Boy, I sure heard a bunch about you. See, I was a good friend of your dad's. We were in that Hanoi pit of hell together over five years. Hopefully...you'll never have to experience this yourself, but when two men are in a situation like me and your Dad were, for as long as we were, you take on certain responsibilities of the other. If it had been me who had not made it, Major Coolidge would be talkin' right now to my son Jim. But the way it turned out is I'm talkin' to you, Butch. I got somethin' for you. This watch I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the first World War. It was bought in a little general store in Knoxville, Tennessee. Made by the first company to ever make wrist watches. Up till then people just carried pocket watches. It was bought by private Doughboy Erine Coolidge on the day he set sail for Paris. It was your great-grandfather's war watch and he wore it everyday he was in that war. When he had done his duty, he went home to your great-grandmother, took the watch off, put it an old coffee can, and in that can it stayed 'til your granddad Dane Coolidge was called upon by his country to go overseas and fight the Germans once again. This time they called it World War II. Your great-grandfather gave this watch to your granddad for good luck. Unfortunately, Dane's luck wasn't as good as his old man's. Dane was a Marine and he was killed -- along with the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. Your granddad was facing death, he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leavin' that island alive. So three days before the Japanese took the island, your granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport name of Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he'd never seen in the flesh, his gold watch. Three days later, your granddad was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father, his Dad's gold watch. This watch. (holds it up, long pause) This watch was on your Daddy's wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the gooks ever saw the watch it'd be confiscated, taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, that watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you.

scotty34
04-17-2005, 03:12 PM
'Why shouldn't I work for the NSA? That's a tough one. But I'll take a shot. Say I'm working at the NSA, and somebody puts a code on my desk, somethin' no one else can break. Maybe I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, cus' I did my job well. But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East and once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels are hiding... Fifteen hundred people that I never met, never had no problem with get killed. Now the politicians are sayin', 'Oh, Send in the marines to secure the area' cus' they don't give a [censored]. It won't be their kid over there, gettin' shot. Just like it wasn't them when their number got called, cus' they were off pullin' a tour in the National Guard. It'll be some kid from Southie over there takin' shrapnel in the ass. He comes back to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, cus' he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so that we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And of course the oil companies used the little skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon. They're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back, of course, maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and [censored]' play slalom with the icebergs, it ain't too long till he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now my buddy's out of work. He can't afford to drive, so he's walking to the [censored]' job interviews, which sucks because the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic haemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin' cus' every time he tries to get a bite to eat the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State. So what did I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. I figure [censored] it, while I'm at it why not just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.'

-Good Will Hunting

Jack of Arcades
04-17-2005, 04:56 PM
David Mills: Wait, I thought all you did was kill innocent people.
John Doe: Innocent? Is that supposed to be funny? An obese man... a disgusting man who could barely stand up; a man who if you saw him on the street, you'd point him out to your friends so that they could join you in mocking him; a man, who if you saw him while you were eating, you wouldn't be able to finish your meal. After him, I picked the lawyer and I know you both must have been secretly thanking me for that one. This is a man who dedicated his life to making money by lying with every breath that he could muster to keeping murderers and rapists on the streets!
David Mills: Murderers?
John Doe: A woman...
David Mills: Murderers, John, like yourself?
John Doe: [interrupts] A woman... so ugly on the inside she couldn't bear to go on living if she couldn't be beautiful on the outside. A drug dealer, a drug dealing pederast, actually! And let's not forget the disease-spreading whore! Only in a world this shitty could you even try to say these were innocent people and keep a straight face. But that's the point. We see a deadly sin on every street corner, in every home, and we tolerate it. We tolerate it because it's common, it's trivial. We tolerate it morning, noon, and night. Well, not anymore. I'm setting the example. What I've done is going to be puzzled over and studied and followed... forever.

Loci
04-17-2005, 05:13 PM
At the end of The Girl Next Door:

Audience member: "Don't you think that you're a little young to be skipping college and directing?"

Eli- "Do you see this suit? This suit cost more than your mother's car!"

Audience member- "...That doesn't really answer my-"

Eli-"SHUT THE [censored] UP! NEXT! FASTER!"

BWebb
04-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Can't remember where it is from, but there is a clip they play on Howard Stern of Jack Nicholson railing on some chick about getting a job. Just awesome.

WEASEL45
04-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Monty Brogan: [censored] me? [censored] you! [censored] you and this whole city and everyone in it. [censored] the panhandlers, grubbing for money, and smiling at me behind my back. [censored] the squeegee men dirtying up the clean windshield of my car. Get a [censored] job! [censored] the Sikhs and the Pakistanis bombing down the avenues in decrepit cabs, curry steaming out their pores, stinking up my day. Terrorists in [censored] training. SLOW THE [censored] DOWN! [censored] the Chelsea boys with their waxed chests and pumped up biceps. Going down on each other in my parks and on my piers, jingling their dicks on my Channel 35. [censored] the Korean grocers with their pyramids of overpriced fruit and their tulips and roses wrapped in plastic. Ten years in the country, still no speaky English? [censored] the Russians in Brighton Beach. Mobster thugs sitting in cafés, sipping tea in little glasses, sugar cubes between their teeth. Wheelin' and dealin' and schemin'. Go back where you [censored] came from! [censored] the black-hatted Hasidim, strolling up and down 47th street in their dirty gabardine with their dandruff. Selling South African apartheid diamonds! [censored] the Wall Street brokers. Self-styled masters of the universe. Michael Douglas, Gordon Gecko wannabe mother fuckers, figuring out new ways to rob hard working people blind. Send those Enron assholes to jail for [censored] LIFE! You think Bush and Cheney didn't know about that [censored]? Give me a [censored] break! Tyco! Worldcom! [censored] the Puerto Ricans. 20 to a car, swelling up the welfare rolls, worst [censored]' parade in the city. And don't even get me started on the Dom-in-i-cans, 'cause they make the Puerto Ricans look good. [censored] the Bensonhurst Italians with their pomaded hair, their nylon warm-up suits, their St. Anthony medallions, swinging their, Jason Giambi, Louisville slugger, baseball bats, trying to audition for the Sopranos. [censored] the Upper East Side wives with their Hermes scarves and their fifty-dollar Balducci artichokes. Overfed faces getting pulled and lifted and stretched, all taut and shiny. You're not fooling anybody, sweetheart! [censored] the uptown brothers. They never pass the ball, they don't want to play defense, they take fives steps on every lay-up to the hoop. And then they want to turn around and blame everything on the white man. Slavery ended one hundred and thirty seven years ago. Move the [censored] on! [censored] the corrupt cops with their anus violating plungers and their 41 shots, standing behind a blue wall of silence. You betray our trust! [censored] the priests who put their hands down some innocent child's pants. [censored] the church that protects them, delivering us into evil. And while you're at it, [censored] JC! He got off easy! A day on the cross, a weekend in hell, and all the hallelujahs of the legioned angels for eternity! Try seven years in [censored]' Otisville, J! [censored] Osama Bin Laden, Al Qaeda, and backward-ass, cave-dwelling, fundamentalist assholes everywhere. On the names of innocent thousands murdered, I pray you spend the rest of eternity with your seventy-two whores roasting in a jet-fueled fire in hell. You towel headed camel jockeys can kiss my royal Irish ass!

A_C_Slater
04-17-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
heres the speech you are looking for:

Kurtz: I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving.

also honorable mention from the same movie:

Kurtz: I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror. Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies. I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment. Because it's judgment that defeats us.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the winner. DO NOT FU*K with the Vietnamese.

Zoltri
04-17-2005, 06:44 PM
"A Few Good Men"

Jack Nicholson 'you can't handle the truth' rant.

ScottyP431
04-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Roger Dodger:
Roger: You can't sell a product without first making people feel bad.
Nick: Why not?
Roger: Because it's a substitution game. You have to remind them that they're missing something from their lives. Everyone's missing something, right?
Nick: I guess.
Roger: Trust me. And when they're feeling sufficiently incomplete, you convince them your product is the only thing that can fill the void. So instead of taking steps to deal with their lives, instead of working to root out the real reason for their misery, they go out and buy a stupid looking pair of cargo pants.

Roger: Do you think women have a clue what goes on up here? What do they think, it's all stock quotes, drill bit sizes? They don't know [censored]! Let's keep it that way.

Fight club:
Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

or
Hi. You're going to call off your rigorous investigation. You're going to publically state that there is no underground group. Or... these guys are going to take your balls. And send one to the New York Times, one to the LA Times press release staff. Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not... [censored] with us.

A life less ordinary
Al: Nice-looking woman.
Robert: She isn't my type.
Al: What are you talking about? Look at yourself. You're nothing. You're nobody. You're wanted in connection with a violent crime. You're cleaning the floor of a diner. She is an intelligent, passionate, beautiful, rich woman. The issue of whether or not she's your type is not one that you're likely to have to resolve in this world... or, indeed, the next, since she will be going to some heaven for glamorous pussy, and you will be cleaning the floor of a diner in hell.

KaneKungFu123
04-17-2005, 07:31 PM
NONE OF YOU FAGGOTS MENTIONED SAM JACKSON in pulp fiction

or ray liotta in good fellas

now die u faggots...

mmbt0ne
04-17-2005, 08:02 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Take the draw.

Look at the board.

I have.

Take the draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. vnh.

pshreck
04-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Hey all,

I wanted to say I respect your opinions that the Indedpendance Day speech is not the best ever.

However, I was stating it as fact, not opinion. So you are all wrong.

Shaman
04-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Scent of a Woman by Al Pacino

TheWorstPlayer
04-17-2005, 08:48 PM
A lot of the other ones mentioned here are better, but since this is the rare good performance from the Benmeister, I thought I would include the text for those that don't know them. My favorite parts are the last lines in both speeches. Brilliant.

No. 1:
"The first three months at the firm are as a trainee. You make $150 a week. After you're done training, you take the Series Seven. You pass that, you become a junior broker and you're opening accounts for your team leader. You open 40 accounts, you start workin' for yourself. Sky's the limit. Word or two about being a trainee. Friends, parents, other brokers, whoever, they're gonna give you [censored] about it. It's true. $150 a week? Not a lot of money. Pay them no mind. You need to learn this business, and this is the time to do it. Once you pass the test, none of that's gonna matter. Your friends are [censored]. You tell them you made 25 grand last month, they're not gonna [censored]' believe you. [censored] them! [censored] 'em! Parents don't like the life you lead? '[censored] you, Mom and Dad.' See how it feels when you're makin' their [censored]' Lexus payments. Now, go home and think about it. Think about whether or not this is really for you. If you decide it isn't, listen, it's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's not for everyone. Thanks. But if you really want this, you call me on Monday and we'll talk. Just don't waste my [censored]' time."

No. 2:
"Goddamn it, you [censored]' guys! I'm gonna keep this short, okay? You passed your Sevens over a month ago. Seth's the only one that's opened the necessary 40 accounts for his team leader. When I was a junior broker, I did it in 26 days. Okay? You're not sending out press packets anymore. None of this 'Debbie the Time-Life operator' bullshit. So get on the phones! It's time to get to work! Get off your ass! Move around! Motion creates emotion! I remember this one time I had this guy call me up, wanted to pitch me. Right? Wanted to sell me stock, so I let him. I got every [censored]' rebuttal out of this guy. I kept him on the phone for an hour and a half. Towards the end, I asked him buying questions like, 'What's the firm minimum?' That's a buying question. Right there, that guy's gotta take me down. It's not like I asked him 'What's your 800 number?'. That's a [censored]-off question. I was giving him a run, and he blew it. Okay? To a question like 'What's the firm minimum?' the answer is zero. You don't like the idea; don't pick up a single share. But this putz in telling me, you know, 'Uh, 100 shares.'. Wrong answer! No! You hawe to be closing all the time! And be agressive. Learn how to push. Talk to 'em. Ask 'em questins. Ask 'em rhtorical question. It doesn't matter. Anything. Just get a 'yes' out of 'em. 'If you're drowning and I throw a life jacket, would you grab it?' 'Yes!' 'Good. Pick up 200 shares. I won't let you down.' Ask 'em how the'd like to see 30, 40% return. What are they gonna say? 'No'? '[censored] you'? 'I don't wanna see those returns'? Stop laughing. It's not funny. If you can't learn how to close, you better start thinking about another career. And I am deadly serious about that. Dead [censored]' serious! And have your rebuttals ready. A guy says, 'Call me tomorrow', bullshit! Somebody tells you they got money problems buying 200 shares is lying to you. You know what I say to that? I say, 'Hey look, man. Tell me you don't like my firm. Tell me you don't like my idea. Tell me you don't like my [censored]' necktie. But don't tell me you can't put together 2,500 bucks.' And there's no such thing as a no-sale call. A sale is made on every call you make. Either you sell the client some stock, or he sells you on a reason he can't. Either way, a sale is made. The only question in, 'Who's gonna close?' you or him? And be relentless. That's it. I'm done."

SinCityGuy
04-17-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to say I respect your opinions that the Indedpendance Day speech is not the best ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

The speech was great; the movie was an overhyped joke.

benkath1
04-17-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My favorite, though, is the "Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.?" (http://www.whysanity.net/monos/goodwill.html) one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta throw the "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" mono in there. Not a full blown speech, but a classic.

benkath1
04-17-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the jist of it, but I can't remember if he says slithering, sliding, or crawling along the edge. Can anyone remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the only diff is he says "straight razor".

M2d
04-18-2005, 01:15 PM
"Like many fly fisherman in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise. Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."

or

CD's nose insult monologue from Roxanne

sfer
04-18-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Like many fly fisherman in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise. Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's verbatim from Norman Maclean's writing, so I don't think it should count, as good as it is. Otherwise, Henry V trumps everything.

I'm shocked at how generally bad the offerings are in this thread. And that no one has mentioned "our precious bodily fluids."

M2d
04-18-2005, 01:38 PM
the narrator was a character, and he spoke these lines in the movie so I suggested it.

how about Kelly LeBrock's short one in Weird Science: "...chips, dips, chains, whips, sex, drugs, rock and roll...a typical teenage party..."

hogua
04-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Billy Murray in "Meatballs".

"It just doesn't matter..."

The Truth
04-18-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Monty Brogan: [censored] me? [censored] you! [censored] you and this whole city and everyone in it. [censored] the panhandlers, grubbing for money, and smiling at me behind my back. [censored] the squeegee men dirtying up the clean windshield of my car. Get a [censored] job! [censored] the Sikhs and the Pakistanis bombing down the avenues in decrepit cabs, curry steaming out their pores, stinking up my day. Terrorists in [censored] training. SLOW THE [censored] DOWN! [censored] the Chelsea boys with their waxed chests and pumped up biceps. Going down on each other in my parks and on my piers, jingling their dicks on my Channel 35. [censored] the Korean grocers with their pyramids of overpriced fruit and their tulips and roses wrapped in plastic. Ten years in the country, still no speaky English? [censored] the Russians in Brighton Beach. Mobster thugs sitting in cafés, sipping tea in little glasses, sugar cubes between their teeth. Wheelin' and dealin' and schemin'. Go back where you [censored] came from! [censored] the black-hatted Hasidim, strolling up and down 47th street in their dirty gabardine with their dandruff. Selling South African apartheid diamonds! [censored] the Wall Street brokers. Self-styled masters of the universe. Michael Douglas, Gordon Gecko wannabe mother fuckers, figuring out new ways to rob hard working people blind. Send those Enron assholes to jail for [censored] LIFE! You think Bush and Cheney didn't know about that [censored]? Give me a [censored] break! Tyco! Worldcom! [censored] the Puerto Ricans. 20 to a car, swelling up the welfare rolls, worst [censored]' parade in the city. And don't even get me started on the Dom-in-i-cans, 'cause they make the Puerto Ricans look good. [censored] the Bensonhurst Italians with their pomaded hair, their nylon warm-up suits, their St. Anthony medallions, swinging their, Jason Giambi, Louisville slugger, baseball bats, trying to audition for the Sopranos. [censored] the Upper East Side wives with their Hermes scarves and their fifty-dollar Balducci artichokes. Overfed faces getting pulled and lifted and stretched, all taut and shiny. You're not fooling anybody, sweetheart! [censored] the uptown brothers. They never pass the ball, they don't want to play defense, they take fives steps on every lay-up to the hoop. And then they want to turn around and blame everything on the white man. Slavery ended one hundred and thirty seven years ago. Move the [censored] on! [censored] the corrupt cops with their anus violating plungers and their 41 shots, standing behind a blue wall of silence. You betray our trust! [censored] the priests who put their hands down some innocent child's pants. [censored] the church that protects them, delivering us into evil. And while you're at it, [censored] JC! He got off easy! A day on the cross, a weekend in hell, and all the hallelujahs of the legioned angels for eternity! Try seven years in [censored]' Otisville, J! [censored] Osama Bin Laden, Al Qaeda, and backward-ass, cave-dwelling, fundamentalist assholes everywhere. On the names of innocent thousands murdered, I pray you spend the rest of eternity with your seventy-two whores roasting in a jet-fueled fire in hell. You towel headed camel jockeys can kiss my royal Irish ass!

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, got to it before me

Dominic
04-18-2005, 01:56 PM
what is this from?

JPolin
04-19-2005, 04:46 PM
I lean towards Glengarry Glen Ross (both Baldwin and Pacino) but Edward Norton's "F*ck you" speech to the mirror in The 25th Hour was great too. 25th Hour is probably the best movie I've seen in the past few years.

Pocket Trips
04-19-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's my name?

F*** you

THAT'S my name!

Pocket Trips
04-19-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I remember being embarassed to watch it when I saw that movie in the theater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have an anxiety disorder?

[/ QUOTE ]

No just taste in movies /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jba
04-19-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is almost certainly a direct descendant of the coffee is for closer speech from glengary glen ross.

it's definitely good for the same reasons but you have to go with the original here.

Pocket Trips
04-19-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you cry reading hallmark cards too?

WEASEL45
04-19-2005, 05:29 PM
25th hour

puzzlemoney
04-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Nicholas Cage's "love doesn't make things nice... love ruins everything" speech standing in the snow in Moonstruck.

Exsubmariner
04-20-2005, 08:25 AM
Al Picino as the devil in "Devil's Advocate."
"Guilt is like a bag of bricks, all you gotta do is put it down..."

Il_Mostro
04-20-2005, 08:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That one made me cheer for the aliens, it was god-awful in every sense

PokerGoblin
04-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Ezekiel 25:17

Kirg
04-20-2005, 09:31 AM
Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family, Choose a f--king big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose a three piece suit on hire purchased in a range of f--king fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the f--k you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing f--king junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarassment to the selfish, f--ked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose a future. Choose life...But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?

Ewan McGregor in Trainspotting

Ray, people will come, Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn into the driveway, not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. "Of course we won't mind if you have a look around," you'll say. "It's only twenty dollars per person." They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it; for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll like walk out to the bleachers, sit in shirt-sleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game, and it'll be as if they had dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come, Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers; it has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again. Ohhhh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.

Field of Dreams

Oh, and the "Do you feel lucky punk" speech from Dirty Harry

Pocket Trips
04-20-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family, Choose a f--king big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose a three piece suit on hire purchased in a range of f--king fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the f--k you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing f--king junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarassment to the selfish, f--ked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose a future. Choose life...But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?

Ewan McGregor in Trainspotting

Ray, people will come, Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn into the driveway, not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. "Of course we won't mind if you have a look around," you'll say. "It's only twenty dollars per person." They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it; for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll like walk out to the bleachers, sit in shirt-sleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game, and it'll be as if they had dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come, Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers; it has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again. Ohhhh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.

Field of Dreams

Oh, and the "Do you feel lucky punk" speech from Dirty Harry

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it took 150+ posts but someone FINALLY mentioned clint eastwood... you people should be ashamed of yourselves ( especially if you even uttered the word's "Independance day" and "best" in the same sentence)

ErrantNight
04-20-2005, 09:51 AM
you're a yankees fan who doesn't like wet hot american summer. remind me why your opinion matters?

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

doubledouble
04-20-2005, 10:21 AM
You can't handle the truth!

chaas4747
04-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Michael Douglas - "The American President"

ravballz
04-20-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And there it was, that was what popped into my head when I read this thread too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

That and:

Johnny Doyle: BET TWENTY THOUSAND!
[The poolhall falls silent]
Johnny Doyle: Oh, did I stutter? Everybody gone all quiet and [censored]? About a minute ago it was like an evening at the Apollo up in this motherfucker, now all of a sudden it's quiet as a church... That's alright Chico, I don't blame you. I've been beatin' this Jimmy Walker lookin' motherfucker all god damn night, he can't win.
Chico: You'd better watch your mouth Johnny!
Johnny Doyle: You watch my mouth Chico! Cause you sure as hell don't wanna watch me play pool. Unless, of course, I'm blind folded and hand cuffed with a pool cue stickin' out of my ass. Or maybe you'd bet the twenty thousand then?

sfer
04-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Bumping an old one because it just occurred to me that Jon Lovitz in the first scene of Happiness rules.

crownjules
04-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Dunno if it has been said (just posting blind before I read through) but the end of Boondock Saints is badass. That takes the cake for me.

EDIT (to include the actual speech)

Connor: Now you will receive us.
Murphy: We do not ask for your poor, or your hungry.
Connor: We do not want your tired and sick.
Murphy: It is your corrupt we claim.
Connor: It is your evil that will be sought by us.
Murphy: With every breath, we shall hunt them down.
Connor: Each day we will spill their blood, 'til it rains down from the skies.
Murphy: Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace.
Connor: These are not polite suggestions, these are codes of behavior, and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost.
Murphy: There are varying degrees of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth, not to push the bounds and cross over, into true corruption, into our domain.
Connor: For if you do, one day you will look behind you and you will see we three, and on that day you will reap it.
Murphy: And we will send you to whatever god you wish.

Ended with the prayer and the two pistols + shotgun execution in front of the court.