PDA

View Full Version : Help!

pooh74
04-16-2005, 07:57 PM
What does anyone reccomend when you hit that negative side of variance and then it gets a hold on your game (you see yourself on perpetual tilt). I know I should take a few days off, but is there anything else one can do?

Does anyone try and play through it? (if its not your living)

thanks...*sniff*

Sam T.
04-16-2005, 08:12 PM
1) Re-read Theory of Poker.
2) Re-read Theory of Poker.
3) Drop down a level when you come back.

Good luck, bro.

Sam

Slim Pickens
04-16-2005, 08:14 PM
I look at the plot of my profit over my entire 6-month SnG career. It really helps to see I'm still not doing so poorly overall even if I'm in a downswing right now.

Slim

valenzuela
04-16-2005, 08:19 PM
I simply play on, however Im tighter early on and ask myself loud if the play is correct?

pooh74
04-16-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I look at the plot of my profit over my entire 6-month SnG career. It really helps to see I'm still not doing so poorly overall even if I'm in a downswing right now.

Slim

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. Im still better off than I was a couple of months ago.

mosdef
04-16-2005, 08:26 PM
I like to play some limit ring games for a few days. it's a totally different game, and it gets you thinking about different problems.

it also makes the return to SNGs refreshing, and you'll have a more positive attitude.

pooh74
04-16-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Re-read Theory of Poker.
2) Re-read Theory of Poker.
3) Drop down a level when you come back.

Good luck, bro.

Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Although i dont feel I am "above" anything...I couldnt read that again w/o feeling lousy...maybe Ill reread HOH.

Dropping down isnt the worst idea ever. On a similar note, I am thinking of a combination "drop down and over". I play 25+2/55+5 turbos on stars...im thinking of playing the standards (20+2/30+3) for awhile to at least eliminate the variance of fast rising blinds etc...less $/hr... but right now this means less $/hr that im losing so it could be a good thing.

appreciate the advice...and hey, anytime spent reading is time Im not abusing my mouse and my neighbors with my cursing.

ZebraAss
04-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Taking breaks are underrated...

pshreck
04-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Hate to be the one to say this, but many people should consider whether or not they are actually a consistently profitable poker player, depending on a few factors.

kspade
04-16-2005, 11:54 PM
I play micro blind No Limit and play every suck out hand I can possibly think of. I.e, I go with the tilt, in fact I embrace the tilt and make it work for me, just at a price that I don't care about. Half the time I end up ahead in that game as well as taking care of the tilt: WIN-WIN! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

pooh74
04-17-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hate to be the one to say this, but many people should consider whether or not they are actually a consistently profitable poker player, depending on a few factors.

[/ QUOTE ]

With my post, I was expecting that response...im not too worried about that. I do doubt myself sometimes, but I know overall im a winning player at the limits i play...handling these swings is a part of being a good player and its an area im lacking in.

valenzuela
04-17-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im on that phase.