PDA

View Full Version : More river play - 3-betting after aggression

rafct
04-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls.

River: (6.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB

Opponent is an average party 0.5/1 player.
I am not assuming he would raise the river if he had only 2 pair.
My thoughts here to 3bet the river were that I am behind 88,66,QQ,K8,K6 and KQ. QQ and KQ are not very likely because he did not raise preflop. However I am ahead all the other trip kings , so I am more likely ahead. Is that a good reasoning for the 3bet?

toss
04-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Perfect. The vast majority he's getting "tricky" with worse Kings.

jaxUp
04-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Try a combinatorial analysis, to see mathematically, what is more likely, a full house or trip kings + worse kicker

Malachii
04-16-2005, 08:17 PM
I don't think I'd 3 bet this river given that he called your raise cold preflop, which implies two face cards at least. KQ is villain's most likely holding. I remember reading in TOP that it's a very rare opponent capable of bluff raising the river when you've been betting into him the whole way.

bozlax
04-16-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I'd 3 bet this river given that he called your raise cold preflop, which implies two face cards at least. KQ is villain's most likely holding. I remember reading in TOP that it's a very rare opponent capable of bluff raising the river when you've been betting into him the whole way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Button limped, then re-limped preflop. No cold-call. And I think we've all seen stranger things than a bluff-raise on the river on PP.

FishHooks
04-16-2005, 08:56 PM
I agree with you 100%, those were my EXACT thoughts.

fluxrad
04-16-2005, 09:20 PM
I think it's 50/50 you're beat in this situation. As likely as it is that Button's playing something like KJ it's also equally likely he's playing 66.

I just call the river raise.

toss
04-16-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that he called your raise cold preflop, which implies two face cards at least. KQ is villain's most likely holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel this statement is wrong. Typhical players here cold call raises with plently more than you think. This includes pocket pairs, sooted cards, connectors and the like. The chance of you seeing KQ is no where close to make 3-betting unprofitable.

Aaron W.
04-16-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says he's bluff raising? He may actually believe his turned trip kings give him the best hand and he wanted to trick you by not raising them on the turn.

deepsquat
04-16-2005, 11:35 PM
I think you played it well, he might be trying to get clever with a weaker king.

I doubt he has queens, and a set is unlikely

Shillx
04-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Looks line a reasonable line by the villian if he has a king (up until the river cap). Here is how I would play this hand if I were the villian...

Raise turn - K8, K6, 88, 66
Call turn, raise river + call - Kx
Call turn, raise river + cap - KQ, QQ

The key is that this is way ahead/behind if the villian just has trips and the correct play is to raise the river. However, it is worth it to raise the turn (for the villian) if he has a house since you will goto war with AK/KQ and hands like that. You look to be beat when he caps the river but that is the breaks. Tough hand.

Brad

SlantNGo
04-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Well played.