View Full Version : $10+1: AA; check-raised on the flop by the SB

spentrent
04-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Party Poker $10+1
Blinds 10/15, second hand of the game, 9 players

I am dealt AA
MP1 calls, I raise to 75, CO calls, SB calls, MP1 folds

Flop 79T rainbow, pot 250
SB checks, I bet 200, CO folds, SB raises all-in (has me covered)

Hero ???

If he's behind me and raises, I autocall. Is this a mistake? I can imagine weaker hands raising behind me, like JJ-KK|AT|KT|QT|JT.

However, should I give the typical $10+1 player more credit for a CHECK-RAISE all-in?

1C5
04-16-2005, 04:25 PM
I call every time but have lost my stack before like this. But many more times I have doubled it.

emonrad87
04-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Thats a ridiculously easy call.

spentrent
04-16-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats a ridiculously easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

So there's no distinction in your mind between a $10+1 all-in raise (which I will call with ridiculous ease) and a $10+1 all-in checkraise (which I will call with less ridiculous ease).

If your answer to my question is yes, then I will stop wasting brain cells on it.

Phil Van Sexton
04-16-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
second hand of the game, 9 players

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing there were only 8 players left for the 3rd hand of the game. 10+1's are fun.

I always suggest raising to 90-100 at level 1 with AA/KK/QQ. Hell, bet 150 if there are people willing to call it. Might not have made a difference, but just a thought.

My thinking with AA at a 10+1 is "bet a lot preflop and hope for the best after the flop when all my chips go in."

I don't mind if they fold preflop. I'd rather have that than give them the implied odds to flop a set on me.

spentrent
04-16-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing there were only 8 players left for the 3rd hand of the game. 10+1's are fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guessed right /images/graemlins/wink.gif. I'm not afraid of being results-oriented if it makes me consider a decision I've made, even if my game doesn't change as a result of the debate. Otherwise the implication would be "I'm a perfect player" and I know that's a joke.

[ QUOTE ]
I always suggest raising to 90-100 at level 1 with AA/KK/QQ. Hell, bet 150 if there are people willing to call it. Might not have made a difference, but just a thought.

My thinking with AA at a 10+1 is "bet a lot preflop and hope for the best after the flop when all my chips go in."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind if they fold preflop. I'd rather have that than give them the implied odds to flop a set on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I'm laying the implied odds in this case, I must ask myself how to read an all-in checkraise vs. an all-in raise. In a cash game -- depending on the players -- it's not so hard to divorce myself from AA with action like the OP's.

In this case I'm wondering how much I should shrink the range with which the typical $10+1 player would make the play in the OP. Perhaps I don't shrink the range at all.

Phil Van Sexton
04-16-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In this case I'm wondering how much I should shrink the range with which the typical $10+1 player would make the play in the OP. Perhaps I don't shrink the range at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say a check-raise indicates more strength than a raise or an open push. I don't think the range shrinks, but it makes some hands in the range more likely than others.

Anyway, you can't fold here. If you can't fold after this obvious show of strenght, then there are must be very few scenarios where you can actually get away from AA at a 10/1.

Since you aren't getting away, you can't bet 70 and let the SB call for 60 more. Then he has at least 13:1 implied odds or so. If he has a pocket pair, it's an auto-call and a simple no-set-no-bet hand for him.