PDA

View Full Version : A new Yankee Stadium?

nolanfan34
04-16-2005, 03:08 PM
There are multiple stories today about how the Yanks are close to a deal with the city regarding building a new stadium.

What do Yankee fans think of this? I have never been to Yankee Stadium, but it's very strange to imagine that place not being used anymore. I suppose Tiger Stadium went by the wayside, but I went to some games there, and that place was barely standing.

On the other hand, Fenway and Wrigley have been modified to adapt to the times....is this not an option at Yankee Stadium?

I'm not a Yanks fan, but it makes me sad as a baseball fan to think that the House that Ruth Built would no longer be used.

Jack of Arcades
04-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Yankee Stadium was already renovated in ths 70s.

By most accounts, Yankee Stadium sucks.

Dead
04-16-2005, 03:13 PM
I would like a new stadium, but I want it to have a retractable roof.

I, for the life of me, can't understand why new stadiums are being built without retractable roofs. I want rain outs to be a thing of the past.

JaBlue
04-16-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I, for the life of me, can't understand why new stadiums are being built without retractable roofs

[/ QUOTE ]

because it's expensive

Dead
04-16-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I, for the life of me, can't understand why new stadiums are being built without retractable roofs

[/ QUOTE ]

because it's expensive

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees can afford it.

If the Blue Jays can have a retractable roof, then surely the Yankees can have one.

tbach24
04-16-2005, 04:56 PM
The new Jets stadium is going to be amazing. I imagine that a new Yankee one would be on a paralell for their respective sports.

JaBlue
04-16-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because it's expensive

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"why are new stadiums being built without retractable roofs"

The yankees aren't building new stadiums (yet)... you asked why other teams aren't doing it and the reason is obviously cost

Dynasty
04-16-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The yankees aren't building new stadiums (yet)... you asked why other teams aren't doing it and the reason is obviously cost

[/ QUOTE ]

And need. The Yankees don't need a retractable roof. They only have a few rainouts a year and those are easily rescheduled. Teams which play in rainy areas like Seattle or Tampa Bay need roofs (retractable or not).

Uston
04-16-2005, 05:06 PM

Why? So you could not go to Yankee games in all kinds of weather?

Dead
04-16-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Why? So you could not go to Yankee games in all kinds of weather?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I think I would like it so that you could be an ass.

jason_t
04-16-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because it's expensive

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Blue Jays can have a retractable roof, then surely the Yankees can have one.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how much of the tab will NYC end up picking up?

andyfox
04-16-2005, 06:58 PM
All good things must come to an end. I understand Steinbrenner is putting up the lion's share of the money, but that the city is spending money on the stadium. That would be a crime.

James282
04-16-2005, 07:03 PM
The Yankees are paying the full bill for their new stadium.
-James

Jack of Arcades
04-16-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because it's expensive

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But how much of the tab will NYC end up picking up?

[/ QUOTE ]

About 300 mil of the 1.1 billion, and it's on revitalizing the infrastructure to support it; IE, parking lots, etc. The city might actually make money off of this, eventually.

Thanks to the wonders of revenue sharing, Steinbrenner will get 16m/year from baseball for the new stadium.

Dead
04-16-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks to the wonders of revenue sharing, Steinbrenner will get 16m/year from baseball for the new stadium.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cut that crap out. If it wasn't for this baseball welfare, teams like the Expos and Orioles might actually have to make do with their own money. The Yankees are net givers to MLB, just like New York is a net giver to the fed govt.

Jack of Arcades
04-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Jesus, I'm just saying the truth.

Dead
04-16-2005, 08:32 PM
Well the way you mentioned it sounded like you were down on revenue sharing. Every small market team in baseball has the Yankees to thank for the fact that theyre not as far down in the shitter as they could be. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jack of Arcades
04-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Every "small market" baseball team has their greedy owners to blame.

Dead
04-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Good point.

Say what you want about Steinbrenner, but he is not greedy.

The Yankees lose money each year, because Steinbrenner goes out and spends all of the revenue and then some of his own money on players. It has helped the Yankees immensely.

Steinbrenner may be "evil", but he is certainly not greedy. He wants to win.

purnell
04-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Business is business. I think it's cool that people get to play ball for a living. I don't think it could have happenned wiithout the entertainment bizzle.

Jack of Arcades
04-16-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Yankees lose money each year, because Steinbrenner goes out and spends all of the revenue and then some of his own money on players. It has helped the Yankees immensely.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think this is the case, you're wrong. The Yankees are very profitable.

Dead
04-16-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think this is the case, you're wrong. The Yankees are very profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I worded it badly.

Steinbrenner takes all of the profit and re-invests it into the team. That is a fact.

I didn't mean to say that the Yankees don't make money. I meant to say that Steinbrenner re-invests almost all of the profit into acquiring the best players.

Jack of Arcades
04-16-2005, 10:43 PM
I doubt it.

Dead
04-16-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can prove it.

linky (http://www.detnews.com/2000/sports/0012/04/f01-157228.htm)

But Steinbrenner, as odd as it might seem, is now the type of owner all fans would love to have. It's for two reasons. Most important, he honestly wants to win. Second, he'll do whatever it takes. The Boss works hard at putting the best product on the field. This way, players can't make excuses.
Sure, it helps Steinbrenner when he has a cable TV deal worth $57.5 million a season. He could make that amount his payroll and pocket all the rest as pure profit. Instead, he invests in his team. Owners should have to do that, including Ilitch.

Steinbrenner invests in his team, unlike Orioles owner Peter Angelos, for example.

Here's another good quote, which has nothing to do with the above:

link (http://www.public.coe.edu/~bdnigg/doubletake_web/dtsports_web/DT1_1_Yanks.htm)

"he reason that the Yankees can succeed in the manner they do can directly be attributed to Joe Torre. He and every one of the players that dawns the hallowed pinstripes is a class act from top to bottom. You don’t see one player on that team sporting ridiculous facial hair or making other absurd fashion statements. If a player hot-dogs it or doesn’t act like a man, he gets benched. Simple as that. You see players running their mouths all the time (like my co-writer), but you will never see a Yankee player running his trap. They are a TEAM not a group of baseball playing sell-outs."

Jack of Arcades
04-16-2005, 10:51 PM
I have no doubt that he invests into his team. But to think Steinbrenner loses money is nuts.

Dead
04-16-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no doubt that he invests into his team. But to think Steinbrenner loses money is nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

link (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/s_82287.html)

"Steinbrenner doesn't care, because his huge market revenues more than make up for his costs. He actually loses money when the other owners try to take a stand."

johnnybeef
04-16-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a Yanks fan, but it makes me sad as a baseball fan to think that the House that Ruth Built would no longer be used.

[/ QUOTE ]

Die hard tribe fan here...this statement is echoed as a baseball fan. Fenway, Wrigley, and Yankee Stadiums are 3 of the most beautiful monuments on this planet and need to be preserved as so. As a baseball fan, I can think of nothing better then to look down upon this Earth in 2000 years and see The Coliseum, Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, and Wrigley Field Standing high and glorious.

Jack of Arcades
04-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Do you realize you just owned yourself?

[ QUOTE ]
Steinbrenner doesn't care, because his huge market revenues more than make up for his costs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
He actually loses money when the other owners try to take a stand [against the players union].

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead
04-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Yes I guess so. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

But Steinbrenner still invests more profits back into his team than any other team in baseball.

Jack of Arcades
04-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Not percentage wise, considering Milwaukee gets like 110% of their salary from revenue sharing...