PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys do this play?

MobbDeep
04-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP3 calls.

MP3 calls fast and I get a feel he has a weak hand.

Turn: (4.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Another Ace, great! he checks and I check to as I feel that he will fold if I bet and I can't find many cards that can hur my hand. Here is the problem, is it dangerous to give him a free card like this? maybe he has a gutshot straight draw? will he call or fold if I bet on turn with a gutshot?

River: (4.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

CallMeIshmael
04-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Please allow me to introduce myself.

I am Johny Von BetTheTurn.

Harv72b
04-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Bet the turn. What possible card could improve his hand enough to make him call the river (where he'd fold the turn), but still be worse than your trip aces/top kicker?

einbert
04-16-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is my adopted daughter, Margot BetTheFuckingTurn.

nolanfan34
04-16-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha.

Mobb, I see what you're getting at, but the fact is, continuing to bet is just more profitable. You're missing a ton of bets here the times that you're up against a weaker A who would check-raise you on the turn here.

ChromePony
04-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Remember also that as soon as the second ace falls, it suddenly becomes less likely in the Villian eyes that you have one too. I can see where you're coming from, some of the time you may pick up a bet from a river call rather than a turn fold, but overall you are probably leaving bets on the table here.

MobbDeep
04-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Thing is that I've tried this play today with simular hands and I find it good cause I don't loose as much when people hit miracle hands and I will win just as much (in my opinion).
People are calling with really bad hands on the river if you show weakness on turn.
This guy showed me <font color="red"> J9 </font>. Other people have called me with king high and queen high. Also it might induce a bluff, and then I can choose to raise on turn or river, gaining more bets.

CallMeIshmael
04-16-2005, 02:55 PM
He would have called your turn bet, beause he had the straight draw. He might even have looked you up on the river (thus costing you a bet).

You gave him a free card when he was live to your hand and willing to pay.

einbert
04-16-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People are calling with really bad hands on the river if you show weakness on turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you noticed that most people call with really bad hands whether you show weakness or not?

Harv72b
04-16-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find it good cause I don't loose as much when people hit miracle hands and I will win just as much (in my opinion).

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlearn this. Your opponent is not making a mistake staying in with his 66 when you check through the turn. He is making a mistake when you bet, irregardless of the 4% of the time that he rivers his 6.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People call with really bad hands. That's why we play poker. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

DOMIT
04-16-2005, 03:03 PM
position, position, position....

If I was OUT of position, I'd go for the check-raise on the turn (live), but not online. Online, I might GET raised with someone holding a Ten thinking I don't have the ace, and representing the Ace, hoping to have me fold if I DON"T have the Ace. But, since you do, you have the possiblity of getting 3-bets in on the turn.

Even with having position, I'd want to bet the turn, especially online... people will pay you off and go for long shot draws all too often. And with you posting, being first hand?? OMG, BET! They'll call you down hoping to pick off an image play (bluff) on your first hand.

I had the exact same hand (well, almost) at Orleans once. I posted in the cutoff to find AA. I raised, button 3-bet, I capped. AKx on flop (all clubs), capped (putting him on AK or KK due to cap). A on turn (ok, not AK.. MUST be KK to cap). I checked! I can't be beat, plus there's a bad beat jackpot.. so I checked the paired board, knowing that he has a boat. He bet, I raised.. he called the river and showed KK. Then asked me why I didn't check it with him for the bad beat....duh! I did! but if he was going to bet it, I check-raise..

Any ho .. live, out of position, I checked, doing the broken wing act and was able to get a check-raise in. Online, I won't due to too many people paying you off. You'll appreciate the extra bets you get from times like this during the times that someone DOES get that longshot gutshot, etc.

mungpo
04-16-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thing is that I've tried this play today with simular hands and I find it good cause I don't loose as much when people hit miracle hands and I will win just as much (in my opinion).
This guy showed me <font color="red"> J9 </font>. Other people have called me with king high and queen high. Also it might induce a bluff, and then I can choose to raise on turn or river, gaining more bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement boggles my mind.

MobbDeep
04-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Well i'm here to learn, so TEACH ME (in a nice way).
If people are so damn good at this game why not move up to high stakes?
btw: this isn't just a comment to you mungpo, it's to all the people who think they are poker gods and allways must say something stupid
(like "Must....raise....AJo.....preflop").

MobbDeep
04-16-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is my adopted daughter, Margot BetTheFuckingTurn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again one of those stupid "I'm a poker GOD" post...

nolanfan34
04-16-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you noticed that most people call with really bad hands whether you show weakness or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not, it's a legitimate point. People like to call down, and you're going to make more money in the long run if you just keep betting when you're likely ahead. Yes, people will catch a miracle once in a while, but don't let them draw at it for free.

Your play in this hand is not without merit, but I think it applies better to no limit than limit, since you can pick up a big bluff on the river, etc. In limit, it's just usually better to keep betting.

einbert
04-16-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry my post came across as arrogant. But seriously, people will call you down with really weak hands all the time. That's why you should bet the turn.

Hoi Polloi
04-16-2005, 06:19 PM
This is me being nice.

I think the key here is that you will be in situations just like this many, many times. A significiant number of times, if you play this line, you will leave bets on the table because people will call your turn bet and your river bet. Several other posters made this point but it bears repeating.

Here is what one needs to understand. Don't think of this as one hand. Many hands will present you with this decision and the most profitable line is to keep betting.

This has been a friendly reminder from the Anti-Fancy-Play-Syndrome-Coalition.