PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to call this river.

ISF
04-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Opponent in this hand was very agressive. I dont think I can remeber him not betting out on the flop when it was heads up, but dont have that big a sample. Vs this type of opponent how bad is this river call. When he check called this flop I told myself I was done, but hoped he had a flush draw or just decided to peel one off. Though in retrospect I dont think he would have ever checked a flush draw on the flop.
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (2 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (2 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 4 BB

krishanleong
04-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Yes, because you messed up the turn. Bet and check behind on the river or value bet.

Krishan

Jeff W
04-16-2005, 11:12 AM
I like the line to induce a bluff from an aggressive opponent on the river. If he is sane, he can't call a turn bet with a worse hand unless it is reasonable draw, but he can bet the river with a missed draw or a weak hand that he floated on the flop.

ISF
04-16-2005, 11:33 AM
There is no way a turn bet is profitable here. I am either way ahead or way behind and this opponent will bet way more hands on the river then he would call a turn bet with i.e any hand. It just felt so much like a trap I hated calling this river. Villan showed AA. I guess I probibly had to call here though.

Jeff W
04-16-2005, 11:35 AM
ISF, you didn't post enough of a read on what opponent would call with on the flop to judge whether you should fold the river or not. I agree that betting the turn is futile.

balkii
04-16-2005, 03:01 PM
i like how you played this.

on the turn the guy is either gonna checkraise you or fold. your hand is not terribly vulnerable, and the opponent sounds untrustworthy. you can probably expect him to bluff any two when you check behind on the turn, so river is an easy call.

krishanleong
04-16-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no way a turn bet is profitable here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree now and against an agressive opponent I also agree that he will bet on the river a wider range than he will call with on the turn.

Krishan

Victor
04-16-2005, 03:32 PM
easy river call. i actually like the turn check to induce a bluff. this type of maneuver is very useful against aggro players as you describe.