PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Know How To Steal

toss
04-16-2005, 04:29 AM
Villain is capable of defending without a pair.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

I've seen him defend with nothing before. Should I just muck it?

Turn: (4 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: (4 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Am I way out of line here? River action heavily depends on reads?

Final Pot: 6 BB

Shillx
04-16-2005, 04:39 AM
The bet-call on the flop is highly amusing. It looks like a 3-bet or fold to me (HINT: FOLD), unless you are calling the raise with the intention of stealing the pot on the turn? The risk:reward on a turn check/raise is just not there. You tried your best to take it away and it didn't work out. Fold the flop and pick a better spot.

Brad

toss
04-16-2005, 05:03 AM
Thanks Shillx. I'm glad my foolish betcall on the flop is amusing to you! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'm too paranoid, think everyone is stealing from me. I'm probably not even ready to play 2/4 yet...

ceskylev
04-16-2005, 05:14 AM
Fold to the raise. He may be defending with nothing, but chances are good that his nothing beats your nothing.

Get him next time.

toss
04-16-2005, 05:49 AM
Yay! I learn how to steal! Villain is 18/11/2

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 3.50 BB

Flawlessly played by me yes?

sthief09
04-16-2005, 06:30 AM
this is why you need to be super tight from the SB in these situations. you're getting worse odds on a steal and you're out of position. I am very tight passive from these spots. your opponents will be playing reasonably well in these spots, ie loose enough to give you fits when you miss the flop.

it also illustrates why showdown value is so important. with hands like 9-high you'll either have to connect with the flop, or push your opponent out, often by giving more action than you should. with AQ my line will often go something like raise preflop, bet the flop, check-call the turn, check-call the river. they bluff a lot in those spots and they will bluff pretty well after you raise the turn. if the board is such that you think you're best the majority of the time (like AQ on a 7553 board) you can bet.

if you at least had showdown value here you could pay off a turn bet and hope to improve enough to get to a showdown. here you can't do that. just fold the flop. the preflop raise is marginal even though it's a good stealing hand. tight passive from the SB and loose aggressive from the BB is the way to go. position is critical in these spots

sthief09
04-16-2005, 06:31 AM
I'd fold that preflop, and I'd see a turn if you had a club. you'll tend to get excess action from them here because hand values go down

sthief09
04-16-2005, 06:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm too paranoid, think everyone is stealing from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, this is something that costs me a lot of money. I always think they're trying to steal the pot from me

Harv72b
04-16-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain is capable of defending without a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he capable of raising the flop with 8 high or worse? Bet/folds don't come any easier than this one.

Like sthief said, high card value is very important in these situations. You can try to steal here &amp; there with suited connectors, but only if you're able to fold postflop when you miss &amp; your opponent shows some strength.

Schizo
04-16-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
loose aggressive from the BB is the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

LAG from the BB????

Don't you mean button?