PDA

View Full Version : $55: This is why you shouldn't play on tilt (3 hands)

AA suited
04-16-2005, 12:24 AM
After losing several games on steal attempts gone bad and being called by monsters, i went on tilt. Here are the results of the next 3 games (converter screwy today?):

1) Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t630)
UTG+1 (t810)
MP1 (t575)
MP2 (t275)
MP3 (t2060)
CO (t1650)
Hero (t1475)
SB (t1210)
BB (t1315)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t100.

Flop: (t325) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, BB calls t150.

Turn: (t625) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t625) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB bets [400].
Hero is all-In [1175]
BB is all-In [615]

Final Pot: t2700

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Qs Td (straight, ace high).
Hero has Tc Kh (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: BB wins t625. </font>

The flop bet was a continuation bet.

On the river, WTF am I doing even thinking about calling much less raise all-in?! ARRRRGGGG /images/graemlins/frown.gif

2) Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t985)
SB (t1105)
BB (t1000)
Hero (t1000)
UTG+1 (t970)
UTG+2 (t1000)
MP1 (t970)
MP2 (t1000)
MP3 (t985)
CO (t985)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t30</font>, SB calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t15, UTG+2 calls t15, MP3 calls t15.

Flop: (t162.50) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t125</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t125, UTG+2 folds, MP3 folds.

Turn: (t412.50) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, Button calls t200.

River: (t1212.50) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero raises all-In [445]
Button is all-In [430]

Final Pot: t1212.50

Hero has 8h 8d (straight, jack high).
Button has Qc Kd (straight, king high).
Outcome: Button wins t1212.50. </font>

A) Why the hell am i slowplaying this on a dangerous flop? i should have check/raised on the flop, instead of check/call?

B) I was pissed at the straight on the river. it meant my set was worthless. add in my tilt = $55 down the drain.

3) Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t2040)
SB (t1600)
BB (t1030)
UTG (t1535)
MP (t3795)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t400</font>, Hero calls t400, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1100) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, MP calls t200.

Turn: (t1900) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t600</font>, MP calls t640.

River: (t3540) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t3540

MP has Th Ah (flush, ace high).
Hero has Ad As (two pair, aces and eights).
Outcome: MP wins t3540. </font>

A) Should I have re-raised preflop?

B) Should I have bet more on the flop?

C) When he re-raised me on the turn, i should have gotten out. With trips and a flush possible, my Aces were no good.

AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

raptor517
04-16-2005, 12:29 AM
u did get that HH i emailed you right? take a look at that for sure. holla

Mr_J
04-16-2005, 01:10 AM
1st hand I wouldn't play, but that's just my style and suits the low buyins. If I did raise preflop then I'd check the flop. If he's going to call that raise then that flop is scary. If I raised the flop and he calls I shutdown and check it all the way if possible.

2nd hand, a checkraise would've definately been much better (coming from someone who sucks postflop). I might've just come out and bet 100 though. Gives incorrect odds and there's gotta be at least 1-2 that like this flop.
I definately don't check the turn. Bet half the pot.
I check that river.

3rd hand. With 700 in the pot I'm happy to push and pick up the blinds. If I did call, then I'd push the flop and be happy with the extra 200 chips. Are you trying to rep trips with the minraise? That doesn't matter, because if he's on a draw he's got the odds. I'll always give him incorrect odds here, maybe that's a weakness (since he won't usually be on a draw) but that's just the way I play postflop right now.

I'm kinda posting these hoping to get replies &amp; comments on them so feel free.

Blarg
04-16-2005, 01:27 AM
Dude, that second hand...don't ever do that to yourself. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Some ramblings on the third hand...

I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish with your min-raise on the flop.

It looks almost like you were trying to lure him into thinking you had just tripped up and were underplaying your hand to trap him, hoping for a re-raise to push all-in or something. Provoking a fold instead of a call.

If he's playing pairs, you have the chance to get him more committed to the pot with a bigger raise, and if he's playing a draw, with 1300 chips already in the pot, plus your 400 more, your 200 raise is giving him 8.5 to 1 odds(1700 to 200) for his flush(or a straight draw), more than double what he needs to call with a flush draw and about 1 3/4 times what he needs to call with a straight draw. And with his huge stack, a call is almost a freebie either way. So your min-raise doesn't extract maximum value no matter what he's holding.

You'd even be quite happy with an outright fold here, as 1300 chips would put you in an even stronger second place standing than you were before the hand, knocking you to almost even with the chip leader.

On the turn, his min-reraise unfortunately signals that either he has a great made hand and doesn't want to scare you off(huge flush or trips) or that he has a small flush and is afraid you might have a bigger one, but still wants to get some more money in the pot in case you don't. Either way, you're screwed.

Degen
04-16-2005, 01:31 AM
I once was a carpenter. Whenever I would get mad I would go to the ocean and throw all of my tools out as far as I could. Expensive habit this was.

Now I'm a poker player. I go on tilt and do pretty much the same thing, except now I don't even have to go to the ocean.

Degen

Blarg
04-16-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1st hand I wouldn't play, but that's just my style and suits the low buyins. If I did raise preflop then I'd check the flop. If he's going to call that raise then that flop is scary. If I raised the flop and he calls I shutdown and check it all the way if possible.

2nd hand, a checkraise would've definately been much better (coming from someone who sucks postflop). I might've just come out and bet 100 though. Gives incorrect odds and there's gotta be at least 1-2 that like this flop.
I definately don't check the turn. Bet half the pot.
I check that river.

3rd hand. With 700 in the pot I'm happy to push and pick up the blinds. If I did call, then I'd push the flop and be happy with the extra 200 chips. Are you trying to rep trips with the minraise? That doesn't matter, because if he's on a draw he's got the odds. I'll always give him incorrect odds here, maybe that's a weakness (since he won't usually be on a draw) but that's just the way I play postflop right now.

I'm kinda posting these hoping to get replies &amp; comments on them so feel free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw your reply right after I posted mine. We had the same thought about the min-raise on the third hand repping slow-played trips on the flop. I'm happy with the blinds here, too, and happy if villain folds at any time. 700 chips and onward is all a healthy amount, and that flop is a little scary. I'm thinking hero is discounting draws pretty much and just hoping to get max value out of villain if villain is holding a high pair. The thing is, if I were trying to do that, I would probably just call on the flop intending to raise big on the turn. I don't see that the 200 min-raise really accomplishes much at all.

If this was limit poker, it could get a free card on the turn that would make the hand less expensive overall if a draw came through that you felt you had to call. But in no-limit, even if you get past the turn without paying any money, you can still be put all in on the river, so it doesn't really matter.