PDA

View Full Version : GoT's away message game

Evan
04-15-2005, 04:52 PM
As some of you know, GoT has been creating games in his away messages with cash prizes. The games are all trivia-type questions. The first right answer will win $X, the second right answer loses $Y, third right answer wins $Z, etc. (the values change w/ each game).

So today he put one up around about an hour ago. I got the first right answer, which was a $10 prize. About 30 minutes into the game his computer got messed up or something, and he signed off for 30 seconds. When he signed back on he told me that he would put up a new game when he went to lunch soon. He also said that my win would no longer count as the game did not stay up as til the end, which was scheduled for 2 pm Pacific.

Should I be payed?

[censored]
04-15-2005, 04:53 PM
If GoT says no, then no.

meep_42
04-15-2005, 04:56 PM
What does it matter, you got the first correct answer? Also, he was only offline for 30 seconds.

Pure weaksauce.

-d

Evan
04-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Why?

Also, as an aside, here are the posted rules from GoT's profile:

okay, so i've decided to make my away message a game. the rules are as follows:

1. the answer will always be one single word.
2. any IM consisting of a single word qualifies as a valid guess
3. participants may submit as many guesses as they like
4. by IM'ing me with a single word IM, you are submitting yourself to all rules of this game.
5. the first person to submit the correct answer gets first place; the second person, second place, and so on. time will be measured according to the official AIM timestamp.
6. prizes for the current game will be posted in my away message
7. a game is in progress any time a "game" away message is up
8. you may only submit one CORRECT answer, i.e. one person cannot receive more than one prize
9. no cheapening

Yes, this is for real.

Michael Davis
04-15-2005, 04:57 PM
I would have taken your post as a serious ethical matter if you hadn't done something stupid like leave the actual dollar amount.

-Michael

Evan
04-15-2005, 04:59 PM
I don't get it. Who cares if I put in the dollar amount? Would you answer change if it was $1? $100?

GuyOnTilt
04-15-2005, 05:00 PM
No, you should not be paid. The away message was down for a good portion of the time that it should've been up, invalidating this particular game. It would not be fair for me to wait till some one submitted a correct answer, then turned it off for the remainder of the game, would it not? Of course, that's not what happened, but you see what I mean. Also, there was some dispute as to whether the question was valid or not and it took me some time to sort that out. Turns out my question was fine and the correct answer was what I thought it was, but that was another 10 or 15 minutes that the message was not up, as I did not want to have a faulty question posted.

Now that I'm writing all this out, it's obvious that this whole thing is no fault of any contestant and can only be a fault of mine, so I should probably pay Evan out of my own pocket. Damn comp restart. Oh well. I'll pay the damn prag.

Evan, you are hereby awarded a $10 credit to your game account.

GoT

NLSoldier
04-15-2005, 05:01 PM
It doesn't matter if he pays you or not because you two are in cahoots and are clearly cheapening!

Catch of the Day
04-15-2005, 05:02 PM
I think he should pay. The only thing that changed by his/my comp restarting is that the original time frame was shortened. As said time period is completely arbitrary, he could have just exptended it. The restart affected the entire feild of potential competators in the same way therefore the integrity of the game remained. Any guess previously submited should be justly honored.

I 2nd the weak sauce.

Catch-

GuyOnTilt
04-15-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't matter if he pays you or not because you two are in cahoots and are cheapening!

[/ QUOTE ]

There has only been one occurrance of anything that could even POSSIBLY be construed as cheapening. But I will admit that one instance is probably cheapening, so I will add money to the next game, which will start as soon as I leave for lunch.

GoT

IndieMatty
04-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Seriously, is the Dude getting jealous?

Michael Davis
04-15-2005, 05:04 PM
"I don't get it. Who cares if I put in the dollar amount? Would you answer change if it was $1? $100?"

Technically no, but I don't even want to put forth the effort to write "GoT is a dick" for this sad amount of $$.

-Michael

Evan
04-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Dude, its time to put down the ego. Those Family Ties royalies aren't going to go one forever, one day $10 might mean something to you.

Evan
04-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Dude, the game is open to everyone. I just happened to be the only person bright enough to figure out that the derivative of acceleration is jerk.

NLSoldier
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't matter if he pays you or not because you two are in cahoots and are cheapening!

[/ QUOTE ]

There has only been one occurrance of anything that could even POSSIBLY be construed as cheapening. But I will admit that one instance is probably cheapening, so I will add money to the next game, which will start as soon as I leave for lunch.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

So the truth comes out!

Cheapeners/images/graemlins/mad.gif

brassnuts
[ QUOTE ]
No, you should not be paid. The away message was down for a good portion of the time that it should've been up, invalidating this particular game. It would not be fair for me to wait till some one submitted a correct answer, then turned it off for the remainder of the game, would it not? Of course, that's not what happened, but you see what I mean. Also, there was some dispute as to whether the question was valid or not and it took me some time to sort that out. Turns out my question was fine and the correct answer was what I thought it was, but that was another 10 or 15 minutes that the message was not up, as I did not want to have a faulty question posted.

Now that I'm writing all this out, it's obvious that this whole thing is no fault of any contestant and can only be a fault of mine, so I should probably pay Evan out of my own pocket. Damn comp restart. Oh well. I'll pay the damn prag.

Evan, you are hereby awarded a $10 credit to your game account.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post. I love it when two people are arguing. And, right in the middle of making a point, on of them realizes he's wrong and sides with the other.

MarkL444
just give the little man his 10 bucks so he'll stop crying

Catch of the Day
04-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Since when is it cool to tease a guy with alzheimers? I mean, what's then point, he won't even remember anyway. I expected more from you Evan. I expected you to be the "Bigger Man."

Although, now that I think about it, that was a little stupid of me...

Catch-

(Edit: Um...aparently M.J. Fox has parkison's not alzheimer's so uhh...yeah)

The Dude
04-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Barring any specific statement by GoT to the contraty, what happens after Evan's guess should have no bearing on its specific result. Translated, I mean that once Evan submits the answer and it is deemed correct, that deal is completed. Whether Evan loses money or makes money, he was the first to submit the correct answer and is owed money.

I'm pretty surprised GoT is confused about this. Even more surprised that he's pulling the "I'll pay, but only under protest" card. Weak.

Michael Davis
04-15-2005, 05:11 PM
"Dude, its time to put down the ego. Those Family Ties royalies aren't going to go one forever, one day $10 might mean something to you."

Dude I'll Neteller you $10.

-Michael

The Dude
04-15-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just happened to be the only person bright enough to figure out that the derivative of acceleration is jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Bright enough?" Do you really think you're the only person who took high school physics?

TomHimself
04-15-2005, 05:13 PM
How does this game work ? So it's a win-win for the guesser. correct? If he guesses wrong he wasted 2 secs, but if he guess right he makes money? sweet. how does he pay?

GuyOnTilt
04-15-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even more surprised that he's pulling the "I'll pay, but only under protest" card. Weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously lack reading comprehesion.

GoT

NLSoldier
04-15-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just happened to be the only person bright enough to figure out that the derivative of acceleration is jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Bright enough?" Do you really think you're the only person who took high school physics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Daryn majored in physics and had never heard that term. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Evan
04-15-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, apparently. Also, resident physics guru daryn didn't know the answer.

nolanfan34
04-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Not having AIM at work is -EV. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Evan
04-15-2005, 05:16 PM
No, its a 0 sum game. Today I think there were 3 qualifying places: +10, -50, +40.

IndieMatty
04-15-2005, 05:19 PM
This should work for you.

No install...

AIM EXPRESS (https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/login/login.psp?siteId=ae40_prod&authLev=1&mcState=initi alized&triedAimAuth=y)

NLSoldier
04-15-2005, 05:19 PM
GAME ON!

The Dude
04-15-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You obviously lack reading comprehesion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, when you state No, you should not be paid. The away message was down for a good portion of the time that it should've been up, invalidating this particular game. at the very beginning of your thread, any skimmer draws an immediate conclusion. No, I didn't read your post fully. And no, I don't get why after realizing Now that I'm writing all this out, it's obvious that this whole thing is no fault of any contestant and can only be a fault of mine, so I should probably pay Evan out of my own pocket. you didn't erase the original statement.

mmbt0ne
04-15-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm always afraid to enter said game because

A) I've never talked to GoT
B) I don't want to pay money

That said, all of the questions have been pretty easy.

nolanfan34
04-15-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

No install...

AIM EXPRESS (https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/login/login.psp?siteId=ae40_prod&authLev=1&mcState=initi alized&triedAimAuth=y)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet! I'll be testing that soon.

razor
[ QUOTE ]
No, its a 0 sum game. Today I think there were 3 qualifying places: +10, -50, +40.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting... this should have been mentioned in the OP.

The Dude
[ QUOTE ]
Um, apparently. Also, resident physics guru daryn didn't know the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]
That surprises me. Not that I think I know anywhere close to the amount of physics that Daryn knows, but I didn't realize this wasn't common knowledge in physics.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I think I learned this in calculus when we did derivatives, not in physics. Hmm.

Schneids
04-15-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
GAME ON!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing his current question is as bunk as the first one today.

The Dude
04-15-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, its a 0 sum game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it's only a 0 sum game in theory. I know GoT well enough to know that he will pay everyone who plays his game and wins. (In fact, I should have given him more benefit of doubt on paying Evan - he came to the right conclusion after he thought it out.) He will, inevitably though, get shafted by someone who loses at his game.

mmbt0ne
04-15-2005, 05:29 PM
What do you mean by bunk? Nonsense? How is this question nonsense? There is a very easy and definite order to those letters.

Evan
04-15-2005, 05:29 PM
yea, you are probably right.

nolanfan34
04-15-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

No install...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet! I'll be testing that soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha, it works! Now if only I could find a similar solution to play poker....

I haven't had AIM for very long though, if anyone wants to pass along their AIM name, PM me.

The Dude
04-15-2005, 05:32 PM
If GoT is smart, he'll start putting time limits on these things that make it more likely only two people will respond than 3 or 1.

Schneids
04-15-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean by bunk? Nonsense? How is this question nonsense? There is a very easy and definite order to those letters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rule 1: the answer will always be one single word.

There is more than one right answer to this Q of his. That is all I'll say.

NLSoldier
04-15-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rule 1: the answer will always be one single word.

There is more than one right answer to this Q of his. That is all I'll say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its pretty obvious which one he intended....we are in Cali, not canada!

NLSoldier
04-15-2005, 06:13 PM
GoT needs to hurry up and get back from lunch. The anticipation is killing me!

mmbt0ne
04-15-2005, 06:20 PM
Don't bother anticipating. I now agree with Schneids. Total bunk.

TimM
04-15-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
GoT needs to hurry up and get back from lunch. The anticipation is killing me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think I know what he's getting at, but if I'm right, one of the letters makes no sense, and one of the two remaining letters has two possible words associated with it, so I can now see three possible answers.

Or, I could just be totally off.

NLSoldier
04-15-2005, 07:00 PM
I WIN, I WIN /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS-answer was seis for any idiots that didnt figure it out.

Schneids
04-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Nobody cares.

daryn
04-15-2005, 07:02 PM
question:

U D T Q C __ ?

seis is so incredibly incorrect.

that this could be considered the correct response shows what a travesty this game is.

NLSoldier
04-15-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got 2nd didnt you /images/graemlins/blush.gif

NLSoldier
04-15-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
question:

U D T Q C __ ?

that this could be considered the correct response shows what a travesty this game is.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? It was good in GoTs book...

daryn
04-15-2005, 07:06 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
question:

U D T Q C __ ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, explain to me what each letter means, and then i will show you how you are incorrect.

NLSoldier
04-15-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
question:

U D T Q C __ ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, explain to me what each letter means, and then i will show you how you are incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like this is a setup but oh well...

uno, dos, tres, quatro, cinco, seis.

daryn
04-15-2005, 07:08 PM
question:

U D T Q C __ ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i assume you are counting to six in spanish?

4 in spanish is cuatro.

NLSoldier
04-15-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
question:

U D T Q C __ ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4 in spanish is cuatro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh SNAP! Well i said seis and six....THIS IS BULLSHIT!

daryn
04-15-2005, 07:12 PM
question:

U D T Q C __ ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4 in spanish is cuatro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh SNAP! But its the same in french....

[/ QUOTE ]

incorrect. french six = six.

NLSoldier
04-15-2005, 07:14 PM
ya, editted.

GuyOnTilt
04-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Your answer was wrong. You wrote "6", which is not a valid guess as per rule #1. The correct answer I was looking for was "six" (French). Apparently there is also another correct answer, which if proved to me was valid I would've accepted.

GoT

SCfuji
04-15-2005, 07:17 PM
can i get your AIM name just so i can participate?

daryn
04-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Your answer was wrong. You wrote "6", which is not a valid guess as per rule #1. The correct answer I was looking for was "six" (French). Apparently there is also another correct answer, which if proved to me was valid I would've accepted.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

italian:

uno due tre quattro cinque sei

NLSoldier
04-15-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

THIS IS SUCH BS!

YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SPANISH TOO AND JUST GOT LUCKY THAT IT WORKED IN FRENCH!!

THE IDIOT MAKING THE GAME SHOULD KNOW THE [censored] ANSWERS!

GuyOnTilt
04-15-2005, 07:20 PM
You are starting to sound like Mike "Sore Loser" Schneider.

GoT

TimM
04-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Wow, I wasn't even on the same planet.

NLSoldier
04-15-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are starting to sound like Mike "Sore Loser" Schneider.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Only cuz I was soooo excited that he got 2nd again.....