PDA

View Full Version : Did I give up too easily?

Rake_in
04-15-2005, 04:09 PM
I don't think I did, but it would be nice to know for sure.

SB is a little lose and aggressive preflop, but pretty neutral postflop.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero folds.

Turn: (8 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 9 BB

adamstewart
04-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Yes, you gave up too easily.

That pot is pretty big, and you may have even have the best hand.

Adam

Rake_in
04-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Well what line would you have taken here?

einbert
04-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Getting 15-1 you don't have to always have the best hand here. You're going to catch a Q almost enough to make it profitable even if you were always behind.

I would call the flop planning on calling down the whole way unless the guy in the middle raises.

adamstewart
04-15-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting 15-1 you don't have to always have the best hand here. You're going to catch a Q almost enough to make it profitable even if you were always behind.

I would call the flop planning on calling down the whole way unless the guy in the middle raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said...

calling down would be standard if it was heads-up. The presence of a 3rd party complicates things, but on the other hand, he also pads the pot for the times you're behind.

Adam

meep_42
04-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Raise the flop, call/fold the turn UI if 3-bet.
If offered a free card on the turn, bet and try for a free showdown (don't want a T,J,Q,K to fall on the river -- though none are killers, they could make better hands for your opponents and might fold the turn for 1 bet.

-d

MoreWineII
04-15-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If offered a free card on the turn, bet and try for a free showdown (don't want a T,J,Q,K to fall on the river -- though none are killers, they could make better hands for your opponents and might fold the turn for 1 bet.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line. What if he raises the flop and is bet into on the turn?

adamstewart
04-15-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line. What if he raises the flop and is bet into on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this the line I was thinking about too when I first read the hand. I like it too.

Something to think about though:

The difference between raising the flop and taking a free show HALF A BIG BET.

Calling down gives you the advantage of not having to fold the turn unimproved, when you may have caught a queen on the river. It also gets you to a showdown.

Calling down doesn't scare away hands like JJ that may continue betting.

I don't know... there's advantages to each.

Adam

meep_42
04-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Seeing the river when you're not good isn't worth half a BB.

Calling down does little to persuade the other caller to fold (as we hope he will to our turn bet)

The pot is already large, i'm not overly concerned with JJ betting into us, i'm more concerned with winning the pot against KJ or JT or the like.

-d

Rake_in
04-16-2005, 01:41 AM
Thanks for all of you who took time to reply to this post. So yeah, I definetly gave up too easily here. Reading over everyones replies, I'm thinking calling down would definetly be correct heads up, but with one other player still in the hand raising the flop and then betting the turn would be a better line. Any objections to this?

KDawgCometh
04-16-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
with one other player still in the hand raising the flop and then betting the turn would be a better line. Any objections to this?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's my normal line, I could be wrong, but that's my normal line there