PDA

View Full Version : KQo overcard style

Perseus
04-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Ok preflop I raised with KQo which I know is questionable and I really need to stop doing it.

Postflop I had pretty clean outs and the pot was big enough.

On the turn I didn't raise for two reasons. 1. I wasn't sure if my K here was good and would be in big trouble to a reraise, and 2, if my K was good then I would get max value out of this pot by not scaring away those drawing to five outs on the river

River plays itself

Good or bad?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (8 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

River: (12 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

PotatoStew
04-15-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok preflop I raised with KQo which I know is questionable and I really need to stop doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's *that* questionable --I wouldn't flat-out stop doing it. I'll raise KQo from most positions.

PotatoStew
04-15-2005, 04:11 PM
If you're going to play this, I think I'd raise the flop. And bet/reraise the turn.

Perseus
04-15-2005, 04:12 PM
Yeah well I am playing too loose from early position so I am trying to tighten up a little and get better, and then, after I am winning at a decent rate, start adding these types of marginal EP hands.

Rest of hand OK?

einbert
04-15-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not questionable. In fact in this 9-handed game you're only BTN-6. People say that raising this BTN-8 is 'marginal' but I think at BTN-6 it's almost certainly the correct play.

FLOP: I agree with your call, the pot is big enough that even if you only give yourself 3 outs it's still a call.

TURN:
[ QUOTE ]
if my K was good then I would get max value out of this pot by not scaring away those drawing to five outs on the river

[/ QUOTE ]
You really need to raise this because of those draws! For one thing, if they have already put one bet in they are certainly not going to fold for another BB, and you gain about 7/8 of every bet they put in! The LP player can also profitably call one BB with a fiver-outer but not two, so you need to protect your hand against him.

brazilio
04-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Why is raising KQo preflop questionable? I like KQo about a billion times better than AJo, and they're both making profits for me, albeit KQo is considerably larger.

Perseus
04-15-2005, 04:15 PM
I guess I considered it questionable because it has been a losing hand for me over the last 9k because I am not playing it well at all...

...glad to hear the opinions that this was a fine preflop raise.

Rex Ruthless
04-15-2005, 04:16 PM
what's BTN???

einbert
04-15-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what's BTN???

[/ QUOTE ]

button

BTN-X means X spots off the button

adamstewart
04-15-2005, 04:19 PM
PREFLOP: Raise is standard, imo.

FLOP: standard

TURN: I actually like that you didn't raise here. You'll scare off worse hands, and you'd be 3-bet by better hands.

RIVER: obviously.

Adam

GrunchCan
04-15-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew! I was worried...

adamstewart
04-15-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew! I was worried...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm ... perhaps my sarcasm detector is being over-senstive..... I hope so....

Adam

shant
04-15-2005, 04:28 PM
The preflop raise is standard for me. I would raise the turn.