PDA

View Full Version : Netflix queue

Bulldog
04-15-2005, 03:07 PM
What is not in my queue that should be? I (finally) signed on and quickly got about 40 in the queue, so no rush. But what can any of you recommend that I probably didn't find in "Netflix Top 100" or "Critics' Picks", et cetera?

BWebb
04-15-2005, 03:10 PM
I'll go strictly tv:

-All available seasons of West Wing
-The Office-both seasons
-Arrested Development-Season 1

shadow29
04-15-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All available seasons of West Wing

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

ZZZ
04-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Here's some I recently rented that I liked:

The Newsroom: Canadian series, similar to The Office. 2nd half of the series gets really weird.

Chapelle's show: The bit where he has a pretty white girl sing his thoughts cracks me up just thinking about it.

Word Wars: Scrabble documentary. Competitve Scrabble players are freaks.

Happiness: Dark, depressing, and uncomfortably funny.

Penn and Teller Bullsh*t: series where they debunk all sorts of woo woo stuff.

Maria Full of Grace: Drug smuggling Columbian girl.

Futurama

Hero: I don't watch many martial arts movies, but I liked this one. Cool imagery. Twisty plot.

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle: There's a great cameo in here.

Elf: Will Ferrell is the funniest man alive.

ZZZ

Broken Glass Can
04-15-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you guys be as enthusiastic about this show if it was based more on the current President rather than the former President?

I realize it was developed when Clinton was President, but it seems so out of date to me. I laugh at a lot of the plot lines because they seem unrealistic.

Is the style/politics of the Administration conveyed in the show what makes it good for you?

kerssens
04-15-2005, 03:28 PM
What the Bleep Do We Know

fluxrad
04-15-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Word Wars: Scrabble documentary. Competitve Scrabble players are freaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome documentary.

As for the West Wing..you shouldn't put those in your netflix queue...

You should buy them.

GoblinMason (Craig)
04-15-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for the West Wing..you shouldn't put those in your netflix queue...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

captZEEbo1
04-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Ghost World
Sideways
Closer
Reservoir Dogs
Million Dollar Baby
The Player
Baadasssss!
Amelie
The Shining
Chloe in the Afternoon
Charade
Being John Malkovich
The Graduate
Vera Drake
Incredibles
Kinsey
Ray
Napolean Dynamite
Garden State
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Nashville
Boogie Nights

meep_42
04-15-2005, 03:36 PM
We'll find out in 2 seasons, I suspect. (unless testing with Alan Alda's character goes bad, in which case next season will likely be the last) ((And really, Alda's charachter is hardly a Republican))

-d

Blarg
04-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Agreed with the last poster. How can we make recommendations when you don't tell us a thing about what you like?

BWebb
04-15-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you guys be as enthusiastic about this show if it was based more on the current President rather than the former President?

I realize it was developed when Clinton was President, but it seems so out of date to me. I laugh at a lot of the plot lines because they seem unrealistic.

Is the style/politics of the Administration conveyed in the show what makes it good for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you have only watched the recent eposides, because some of the plot lines hav gotten a little unrealistic (e.g. Castro). Anyway, it is just very well written, smart, funny and has a great cast. That is why I like it.

RogerZBT
04-15-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If the show was as well written, absolutely.

There were plenty of episodes where the politics either wasn't relevant or could easily have been switched.

ETA: The "well written" part only applies to seasons 1-4.

Bulldog
04-15-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed with the last poster. How can we make recommendations when you don't tell us a thing about what you like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Point conceded, but the group is doing pretty well so far.

I'm a West Wing addict. I discovered only about two seasons ago but I've probably seen every episode twice on Bravo.

I own The Office series and I'm a big fan.

Drama, comedy, and hot girls. Does that help?

shadow29
04-15-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you have only watched the recent eposides, because some of the plot lines hav gotten a little unrealistic (e.g. Castro). Anyway, it is just very well written, smart, funny and has a great cast. That is why I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. It's not about liberal or conservative. It's about people being passionate about ideals and working to uphold them. Moreover, Bartlet is a weird type of Democrat. He's definetly a globalization Democrat, and the 2004 DNC Platform is anti-globalization.

Somehow, however, I don't see the show working as a Republican show. I don't know why, but it's hard for me to see pharisees like Dobson or Colson being taken seriously and that's what would have to happen if a show based on the current administration was released. And I'm a Republican. But this is venturing real close to Politics forum stuff.

One thing to note, however, is that Aaron Sorkin was fired after Season 4. Thus, Season 5 sucks hard and Season 6 is just "all right".

Also, I definetly agree with the previous poster who said to buy the episodes on DVD.

meep_42
04-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Honestly, I think the episode before the season finale was one of the best ever.

-d

phage
04-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Withnail & I

Broken Glass Can
04-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Has anyone seen the Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister series? Now those were very well done (and on a low budget) and Yes, Minister was the better of the two.

Broken Glass Can
04-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Sorkin also wrote A Few Good Men. He is very good with anti-authority stuff. All the JAG shows are a lot more conservative than his movie, and they do alright.

Talex
04-15-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Drama, comedy, and hot girls. Does that help?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bound, and it's not close.

-Tim

Bulldog
04-15-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We'll find out in 2 seasons, I suspect. (unless testing with Alan Alda's character goes bad, in which case next season will likely be the last) ((And really, Alda's charachter is hardly a Republican))
-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Why Santos will win: they'd need a whole new cast of Republicans. They aren't developing any Republican charcters. C'mon, this isn't that hard. Possibilities, after Santos wins:

/images/graemlins/diamond.gifPOTUS Santos
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifVPOTUS Leo
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifCOS Josh
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifDCOS Will? Donna?
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifCOMM Toby (new Josh-Toby dynamic with Josh as boss)
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifDCOMM Joey Lucas
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifPS pixie girl?
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifCharlie-Zoey wedding
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifBartlet? possibilities are endless
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifSantos dies, meet President Leo!
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifthe return of Sam as appointed VP?
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifDems win the Senate and House, remove the two-term limit, Jed's appointed VP
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifOr Jed dies

The possibilities if Vinick wins:
/images/graemlins/spade.gifall actors except Alda and Ainsley Hayes fired, all new cast hired

Broken Glass Can
04-15-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifPOTUS Santos
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifVPOTUS Leo
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifCOS Josh
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifDCOS Will? Donna?
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifCOMM Toby (new Josh-Toby dynamic with Josh as boss)
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifDCOMM Joey Lucas
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifPS pixie girl?
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifCharlie-Zoey wedding
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifBartlet? possibilities are endless
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifSantos dies, meet President Leo!
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifDems win the Senate and House, remove the two-term limit, Jed's appointed VP
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifOr Jed dies

The possibilities if Vinick wins:
/images/graemlins/spade.gifall actors except Alda and Ainsley Hayes fired, all new cast hired

[/ QUOTE ]

How many people could list all the staff members of the real President like you have the phony President?

Psst, get a life! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /jk /images/graemlins/grin.gif

shadow29
04-15-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This definetly needs to happen.

BGC:

POTUS- GWB
VPOUTS- DC
COS- Card
DCOS- Rove, isn't it?
COMM- Bartlett (ironically)
DCOMM- no clue
PS- McClellan

Didn't cheat.

edit- formatting

Bulldog
04-15-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Psst, get a life! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /jk /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Be easy, brother. We are the only two 2+2 Republicans; we have to stick together!

fluxrad
04-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Naw dude. You forgot, on Alda's staff they got the guy from News Radio (coincidentally, he played Milton in Office Space with...Gary Cole (the current veep)). You've also got the wife from Home Improvement, plus a cast of "familiar" characters from throughout the first 5 seasons.

Plus, Alda could hold down that whole [censored] show on his own. The man is one hell of an actor (e.g. the "shoe shine" episode).

Bulldog
04-15-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Plus, Alda could hold down that whole [censored] show on his own. The man is one hell of an actor (e.g. the "shoe shine" episode).

[/ QUOTE ]

I submit that Martin Sheen as Jed Bartlet is the Best Actor in a TV Series, all time (my TV-watching lifetime at least, 20 years or so).

fluxrad
04-15-2005, 04:51 PM
After more careful consideration, you are wrong. The correct answer is...

Patrick Stewart.

Broken Glass Can
04-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Why must we always pick the actors who play the leadership roles in a series?

I think Leo and Data are better portrayals in those two series.

TimTimSalabim
04-15-2005, 04:59 PM
I watched "Word Wars" recently and liked it (obsessed Scrabble tournament players, I'm sure a lot of us poker players can identify). I also went through the whole "Up" series (21 Up, 28 Up, etc.) which was also very interesting. I guess I'm going through my Documentary phase /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

ethan
04-15-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What the Bleep Do We Know

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie is awful. If you're at all familiar with the science discussed in the film, you'll be very annoyed at what the filmmakers say it proves.

Bulldog
04-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks everyone. I added about a dozen to the queue after checking most of them out. I'm most skeptical of "Baadasssss!" but I'll keep an open mind.