PDA

View Full Version : The "Gaybet" thread. (On renaming the term . . . )

Grisgra
04-15-2005, 02:13 PM
I figured this deserved a thread of its own -- one that I hope will not be deleted. For one, a purpose of this thread is to perhaps come up with an alternative to the term that some will find less offensive -- given that a recent thread called "What is a Gaybet?" was deleted, this would seem to be a wise goal from a pragmatic point of view even if you don't buy the "politically correct" opin'.

As most of us know, in the last month or two the phrase "gaybet" has come to represent a betting sequence in which a player check/calls on one street and then bets out on the following street. In my experience, poorer players tend to do this when they pick up a draw or want to bluff at the pot, while stronger players generally do it with stronger holdings, especially if they think it will allow them to 3-bet.

My thoughts on the matter, reposted from a different thread:

----------
If I didn't think that 90%+ of twoplustwo'ers, due to their typical age and intelligence level, weren't actually quite tolerant/accepting of homosexuality, I think I'd be more concerned.

But hey, if we can come up with an acceptable synonym, it's probably early enough that we can stop the meme in question. (Or whatever you want to call it.)

Personally, I think "gaybet" was perfect because

1) It's a move often done by poor players, meaning that the bet is kind of stupid (matching up with the common slang of "gay" = "stupid")

2) BUT it's also a move often made by strong players, and has quite a different meaning in those cases (matching up with the fact that upon further consideration/thought, being gay isn't "stupid" at all).

Weak players, gaybets usually mean stupid.
Strong players, gaybets can mean anything, definitely requires more thought and consideration.

It's an interesting parallel (to the unwashed masses, gay=bad, to the smarter/more open folks, "gay" is just an adjective) -- and MUCH better than we get with most slang.
----------

So there we are. We have a phrase that, in my mind, is both fun and accurate, but let's face it, will certainly strike some folks as kind of offensive. It's also not a completely established term (or else people wouldn't be asking what it means.) So . . . we're smart folks here. Can we come up with a short, descriptive, fun phrase to describe this particular betting line that won't get threads discussing how to react to it deleted?

Some folks have proposed "grrbet", but . . . well, any other suggestions?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

krishanleong
04-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Society hasn't accepted homosexuality. Using terms like this is not helping a cause I believe in. It's small things like deciding not to use terms rooted in close-mindedness that eventually open up a society to accept differences.

Only people who aren't aware of the difficulties gay men and women have in America would stand up for using a term like gaybet as poker slang.

Terms are such a small thing. Give this one up please.

Krishan

Grisgra
04-15-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Society hasn't accepted homosexuality. Using terms like this is not helping a cause I believe in. It's small things like deciding not to use terms rooted in close-mindedness that eventually open up a society to accept differences.

Only people who aren't aware of the difficulties gay men and women have in America would stand up for using a term like gaybet as poker slang.

Terms are such a small thing. Give this one up please.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you missed the title of the thread. While I like the term, I agree that it's time to find a new one. I'm not one to rant and rave about "political correctness" and demand that the moderators accept what is justifiably an offensive-to-some term simply because lots of people have started using it recently.

Suggestions, please.

krishanleong
04-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Oh I know you are willing to use something else. I just figured if we are using a new thread I might as well make my request to use grrbet here as well.

Krishan

sqvirrel
04-15-2005, 02:34 PM
I have always referred to them and seen them referred as 'Sudden Bets' in other forums (not 2+2)

Grisgra
04-15-2005, 02:39 PM
For what it's worth, best I can do so far is "lamebet". From poorer players, it's lame, i.e., usually represents weakness, while from stronger players, it's generally meant to SEEM lame when it's really not. (Note the "generally", though.)

stigmata
04-15-2005, 02:40 PM
I have to agree.... Using "gay" as an derogatory term (like when people say "that is so gay") is pretty offensive to large portions of society.

I don't like grrbet all that much, but can't think of anything better....

bluebet? (a bet out of the blue)
donkbet - hmmmn I think i like that one /images/graemlins/cool.gif

MAxx
04-15-2005, 02:42 PM
what about "Grisgra Betting" /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jeff W
Donkbet is the only acceptable alternative.

krishanleong
[ QUOTE ]
donkbet - hmmmn I think i like that one

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I change my vote?

Krishan

J.R.
04-15-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lock the thread, its over

MAxx
04-15-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i have seen this term. it is somewhat humerous, somewhat demeaning. it seems like a decent alternative with out being un-pc.
i could deal with that as a replacement. if it only had a little bit more of a sting....

but then it would probably be offending somebody. no donkey lovers out there are there?

krishanleong
04-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Donk isn't short for donkey is it? It's crocodile dundee.

Krishan

Jeff W
04-15-2005, 02:50 PM
I love donkeys more than life itself.

MAxx
04-15-2005, 02:53 PM
i always assumed Donk= short for Donkey.... kinda like an abbreviation for jackass. Not surprised to be operating under incorrect assumptions.

So explain the croc dundee thing then...

EvanJC
04-15-2005, 04:06 PM
hmm...how about gaybet?

arkady
04-15-2005, 04:18 PM
Whats all this crapola about a 'gaybet'. This is just another form of a stop n go (SnG). Just that typically the SnG is done into a flop raiser, but its the exact same idea.

Grisgra
04-15-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whats all this crapola about a 'gaybet'. This is just another form of a stop n go (SnG). Just that typically the SnG is done into a flop raiser, but its the exact same idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said in the other thread, I don't think you can have a stop n go without having actually started at some point. If BB calls your pf raise, then calls your flop bet, then bets the turn . . . that's quite different than betting the flop/calling a raise, then betting the turn. In the first case, you've never shown strength -- in the second, you just slowed down for some odd reason.

juggernaut
04-15-2005, 04:42 PM
I just posted in the other thread without seeing this one....

I gaybet sometimes when I think the PFR is weak but I'm unsure about checkraising the turn. I think there's a similar action/phrase for this from the NL world: probe bet.

As has been mentioned, both weak and strong players occasionally do this, so maybe probe bet gives the weak players too much credit. What if it were something in between....like spybet?

Grisgra
04-15-2005, 04:44 PM
It looks to me like "donkbet" is winning this one in a landslide. I'm not sure I like it, as it makes it sound like it's something only donks do, but I'm willing to bow to the mass of popular opinion.

Rubeskies
04-15-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It looks to me like "donkbet" is winning this one in a landslide. I'm not sure I like it, as it makes it sound like it's something only donks do, but I'm willing to bow to the mass of popular opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

When a good player does it to you and you raise them with a good but not great holding and then get 3-bet, you feel like a total Donk.

arkady
04-15-2005, 04:50 PM
oh, i stand corrected i guess.

i personally hate the term gaybet and never opened a thread that had that word in the title.

i agree with rory in the sense that the term should not be subjective, 'donk' is.

I like OOPSbet (Out Of Position Sucker bet), because one way or another someone is getting suckered out of money.

tolbiny
04-15-2005, 05:04 PM
How about a "Smithers" bet?

kurosh
04-15-2005, 05:38 PM
I like gaybet.

disjunction
04-15-2005, 06:30 PM
I've been using "g-bet" in my player notes long ago. Wasn't thrilled about the similarity to the aforementioned term, but at the same time it was already stuck in my head.

sethypooh21
04-15-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But now I'm a STALLION

BusterStacks
04-15-2005, 11:12 PM
fagbet?

sthief09
04-16-2005, 01:59 AM
queerbet

ship it

mantasm
04-16-2005, 02:28 AM
I think it should be something much more offensive, because that's funny, but if you're not down with that it should be GLBTbet

stripsqueez
04-16-2005, 03:03 AM
i find gaybet offensive

i was going to suggest blousebet but donkbet does it for me

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

helpmeout
04-16-2005, 03:29 AM
You know where you and your kind can stick your political correctness.

This thread is rediculous.

I really do not give a [censored] about gaybets, donks or fish.