PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Overs

Demana
04-15-2005, 01:24 PM
For those not familiar with it, the idea of Overs is that when the pot only includes players with an Overs button, the bet size increases. This means that a $6/12 game could go to $8/16 or $12/24 or a $20/40 game goes to a $30/60 game.

Not all games will offer Overs buttons. If Overs is being offerred, then the dealer will ask you when you sit down if you want a button. You can say no and still take an Over button at a later point in time.

I played in my first Overs game the other day, though I choose not to take a button because I did not understand how it affects the game. Having had some time to think about it, I think I get it now. With Overs, you can dramatically affect the pot odds in a hand and take greater advatange of your opponent's mistakes. Plus, you're getting more value on your hands because you're betting more money.

Are there any other reasons to play Overs, aside from betting more money and affecting the pot odds?

Is there an advanced way to play in these games?

Anything I should watch out for?

threeonefour
04-15-2005, 02:04 PM
there are a lot of new strategies with overs. a lot of times you may want to raise out and keep in the one player without the overs button so you can either get a cheap card or punish likely drawing hands. Knowing how do deal with those situations is pretty important imo.

Demana
04-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Marginal hands lose value when the game becomes all Overs, correct? Or is it the other way around because your implied odds have grown with the increased bet size?

dansalmo
04-15-2005, 02:27 PM
You can get better implied odds and worse reverse implied odd on some hands if you can get the pot down to just the overs players. I will only take an overs button if I have good relative position on all other overs players.

Demana
04-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Bumpity bump bump

SpeakEasy
04-19-2005, 05:51 PM
I have played one live table where "overs" were offered. It was a $15-30 limit hold 'em, and the "overs" buttons turned the betting into no-limit.

I accepted the overs button, but I only played there for about 20 minutes until I was called for the $500 max no-limit table, and I moved.

Any experience with "no-limit overs"?

bernie
04-19-2005, 06:08 PM
I know Slavic plays in overs games a bit when he plays at mucks. He might have some good insights.

b

Phat Mack
04-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Read this post by John Feeney:

Thoughts on "overs" for Carlos. (http://www.twoplustwo.com/digests/jul98_main.html)

And this post by Zee:

Overs. (http://www.twoplustwo.com/digests/excharch_dec99_msg.html#2675)

And this post by Louis:

Playing the Overs (http://www.twoplustwo.com/digests/genpokapr00_main.html#5774)

I tried to anchor these posts, but when I previewed them, they worked intermittently. If anybody can explain why anchors could work "sometimes," I'd be happy to hear from them. Browser problem? You might have to do a find when the page comes up.

The archives have some other good stuff in them on overs.