PDA

View Full Version : Dell Monitor Question

Nick-Zack
04-15-2005, 12:39 PM
A friend of mine just bought a Dell 8400 with a dual DVI graphics card. He would like to also add a 3rd monitor (VGA). Toward the top of the box next to an printer hookup is a blue set of pins that looks like a monitor hookup but it is male instead of female. Above it there is this - |o|o|. If this is a monitor hookup can he get an adapter to hook up another monitor (and why is it male anyway?)

NZ

AncientPC
04-15-2005, 12:40 PM
That's a serial port connector I believe.

It was used 5+ years ago to hook up mice, external modems, etc.

It's outdated nowadays, sort of like the parallel connector for printers no one uses anymore. USB kind of replaced everything.

krimson
04-15-2005, 12:41 PM
No, you will need a PCI video card added to the computer.

Nick-Zack
04-15-2005, 12:46 PM
To hook up an additional monitor he needs another video card? I know that the DVI cards need their own power supply so I don't want to try and hook that up for him.

Is the 3rd monitor set up in XP as simple as adding the 2nd?

AncientPC
04-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Yes, either to replace his existing video card with a 3 or 4-port DVI video card (godly expensive) or to add a second video card (much cheaper alternative).

From what others have stated, it should be just as easy as adding a second monitor.

Nick-Zack
04-15-2005, 12:52 PM
The VGA graphics card is just plug in and go though right. If it has to have a seperate power supply, he is on his own. Even my small brain though can add a basic card.

AncientPC
04-15-2005, 12:53 PM
As long as his motherboard has a free PCI slot, the video card draws its power from there.