PDA

View Full Version : Flopped a boat ... what now

yoadrians
04-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Feel free to flame away ... pretty sure I should've raised the turn big-time, now that MP may have improved. And what to do with that River??

I'd love all the help you could give me so I can avoid this situation in the future. I'm all ears ... Thanks in advance.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (5 handed)

UTG (t3575)
MP (t2850)
Button (t3715)
SB (t1770)
Hero (t1590)

Hero is BB with 9s, 3s
MP calls t50, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: 3c, 3d, 9h
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks.

Turn: Kd
SB checks, Hero checks, MP bets 50, SB folds, Hero calls 50.

River: Kc

Hero bets 250, MP raises to t1500, Hero ?????????????

nuclear500
04-15-2005, 12:30 PM
No reason to flame.

Easily mucked to that raise. He has a king and is finding out if you do. Only two hands beat his (K9, 33) and he is finding out if thats the case.

RobGW
04-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Relax man. He either has a K or a PP and only has 2 outs. It just so happens that this one time it came up and foiled your slowplay.

jedi
04-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Given the way you played it, I think you have to fold the river here. You still have 1240 in chips which isn't too bad. The pot was small, villain made a huge raise on the river. You gave him the free card on the flop to try to help his hand out. Fine. If indeed that card helped him out, then the river just beat you. I'd fold, though I'd hate it (unless you have a read that villain would bluff like this).

That having been said, I think you lead out on the turn with a bet and hope to get raised. Then you can come back over the top.

LetYouDown
04-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Hero folds? Unless you have a really strong read on this guy, it seems pretty obvious. Definitely need to get more in on the turn. I may have even bet the flop out, hoping to get raised by someone who puts me on a weak 9. The problem with the flop check and subsequent check/call is your position. You're going to need to build the pot early on to make anything on this hand most of the time. The check on the flop certainly isn't an awful option, but I'd bet it more often than not...that way when the K falls on the turn, you can get a lot more in the pot with him drawing slim.

yoadrians
04-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the help. I folded. Guy showed KJo.

beeyjay
04-15-2005, 03:22 PM
you played it well and got unlucky.

pokerlaw
04-15-2005, 03:32 PM
you flopped a sweet boat
a small turn raise would be nice
check-fold that river

jskills
04-15-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you flopped a sweet boat
a small turn raise would be nice
check-fold that river

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I'm likely pushing back on the turn here. Good fold. Man that sucks.