PDA

View Full Version : Betting Overcards

mojobluesman
04-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB

@bsolute_luck
04-15-2005, 10:25 AM
i'd bet the river too. you're HU and no face cards have it or flush draw. i think betting the river might fold him, so you win more times than not in this situation.

jrz1972
04-15-2005, 10:28 AM
I'd play it the same way you did -- SOP.

The reason I don't bet the river is that I expect to lose if I get called. At least in my experience, a lot of people will go all the way to showdown with crap like 55. I don't think I'm folding out a better hand often enough to make a bet worthwhile.

mojobluesman
04-15-2005, 10:38 AM
He had Pocket 3s.

When he didn't fold the turn bet, I thought I was in trouble. Maybe he would have folded a river bet, but I think it would have cost me an extra $2.

Sasnak
04-15-2005, 10:40 AM
grunch...

With no reads on CO I'm making him a calling station.

PF: Fine

Flop: Fine

Turn: Spew - CO is either paired or has the flush/straight draw. You're drawing to 6 outs of which the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif and Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif could make CO's flush, so you're down to 4 outs and CO isn't showing signs of folding.

River: Fine

jrz1972
04-15-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He had Pocket 3s.

When he didn't fold the turn bet, I thought I was in trouble. Maybe he would have folded a river bet, but I think it would have cost me an extra $2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put yourself in the shoes of your opponent. You just called a turn bet. Would you now fold to a river bet?

As an exercise, the next several times you have AK or AQ or whatever and flop TP, look and see what your opponent calls the river with. It will be an eye-opening experience and it should make you less inclined to bet the river with unimproved overcards.

Trix
04-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Get him to fold what ?

Trix
04-15-2005, 10:44 AM
I like it.

If he has a pair, he will probably call the river after calling the turn, so checking and hoping for some busted draw is prefered.

@bsolute_luck
04-15-2005, 10:46 AM
i don't see how betting the turn is spewing.

so he has a draw? why do you think he is on a flush draw or even a straight draw? he could be just waiting for some face card to hit.

KaiShin
04-15-2005, 10:47 AM
I'd check behind on this river too.

@bsolute_luck
04-15-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Get him to fold what ?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, that was a bad suggestion on my part. i'm still trying to curb my UI overcard play. i have a leak there, i know. sorry for the bad advice /images/graemlins/frown.gif

jrz1972
04-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Yeah I'm fine with the turn bet too.

There are a lot of people out there who will merrily peel one off on the flop with anything but who will fold on the turn. Just becasue he called the flop doesn't mean you're not still ahead. Also, a turn bet might very well fold out bottom pair or somesuch if the turn did't help villian.

There's also another reason for betting the turn. If you bet the flop and then check behind on the turn, even Fishy McFish can find a river bet with rag-rag. I would far prefer to toss in a bet on the turn and get a free showdown on the river than check behind on the turn and have my opponent bet into me on the river.

KaiShin
04-15-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's also another reason for betting the turn. If you bet the flop and then check behind on the turn, even Fishy McFish can find a river bet with rag-rag. I would far prefer to toss in a bet on the turn and get a free showdown on the river than check behind on the turn and have my opponent bet into me on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
The only time I wouldn't bet the turn HU when checked to is when I have a made hand and wanted to induce a bluff from an opponent on the river, maybe one who is overly tight and folds too much but likes to try and steal pots with aggression. I have no idea where you'd find that kind of opponent at these limits though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mvoss
04-15-2005, 03:17 PM
I like the way you played this although it might be right to bet the river as well.

MrEngenic
04-15-2005, 05:21 PM
I would do the same almost every time and fold to a turn raise almost every time. Checking the river is good, only a better hand will call you if you bet (well, there are exceptions).

ArturiusX
04-15-2005, 06:34 PM
I like it all.

NAU_Player
04-15-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a turn bet might very well fold out bottom pair or somesuch if the turn did't help villian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was about to post.

keikiwai
04-15-2005, 07:43 PM
I agree betting the turn in this case is spewing. Usually bet the turn. But you do not have even four outs in this case.

You are up against CO. He entered an unraised pot. What can he have.... well JTo or JTs for starters. I'm not saying he does, but the flopped made sraight COMBINED w/ the flush draw on the turn just don't make it worth my while for the 2.75 BB in the pot after the flop betting is done.

I would probably bet the flop if the flush draw didn't appear.

bonaparte
04-15-2005, 10:03 PM
You played this hand like I would play this hand. Hoping high card might take it if I can't force a fold

sweave1
04-16-2005, 12:59 AM
i am terrible at over cards; i would have check folded the flop if he bet..i would check fold all the way down unless i paired up.

sweave1