PDA

View Full Version : Pocket JJs

mojobluesman
04-15-2005, 10:18 AM
What do I do when the K falls?

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (5.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

FlopMe
04-15-2005, 10:22 AM
I would value bet the river here.

teajay
04-15-2005, 10:24 AM
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd bet the river here. Villain has shown 0 aggression. Other than that, looks nice to me.

Travis

KaiShin
04-15-2005, 10:24 AM
Bet ze river.

PokerProdigy
04-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Since you're heads-up I think the turn bet looks good.

Trix
04-15-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It actually doesnīt change much, except he will be more likely to think you have hit something, if he is thinking beeyond, whether you are bluffing or not.

Typically, he will call the flop with Ax,3x or a pocket pair.

He really doesnīt have much reason to call with one overcard, the king, but again this is 1/2, so he may call with about anything.

The river is a spot many new players mess up, though itīs actually pretty clear here.

He has called the flop and turn, which means that he probably has something he intends to showdown.

If you check, he will bet the Q or K if he has and check most other hands through.

If you bet he will call with anything he wanted to showdown, so you win more this way.

Itīs often correct to bet when first to act on the river even though you think you will win far less than half the time when you get called, aslong as it has higher expectation than if you check and call(assuming that check-folding isnīt an option).

For more about this see HFAP, SSH or TOP.

On the river when first to act or out of position valuebet.

mojobluesman
04-15-2005, 10:40 AM
He had K9d.

@bsolute_luck
04-15-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He had K9d.

[/ QUOTE ]

he got lucky. don't let this bother you or become result oriented.

jrz1972
04-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Just keep betting until villian does something to slow you down.

deception5
04-15-2005, 10:44 AM
I don't think you have any reason to fear the king - he never raises and he could very well be playing any pocket pair (especially on a paired board I wouldn't be surprised to see 22-TT here or even any unpaired ace or 3x. I think you have to keep betting here as there is too much chance you are ahead. A turn raise would slow me down but I'd probably still check/call the river. Without any aggression shown I'm betting the river here.

MrWookie47
04-15-2005, 10:50 AM
That's the easiest river value bet in the world. A kitten died for this.

benkath1
04-15-2005, 10:50 AM
OK I cheated and read the results first, but isn't this one of those situations where a bet could only cost you? When I get in these situations where someone is just calling me down I think he would only call me with a winner, and if he raises then what? check/call? bet/fold? Am I too weak, or is this a leak?

Ben

FlopMe
04-15-2005, 10:53 AM
I've found that the majority of your opponents won't call here with just a winner, rather they will call with anything including J-high.

Sasnak
04-15-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

grunching...

Curse the Poker Gods?!

From some of the previous replies to river action on my posted hands, I say check/call the river. You'll only get called if you're behind or worse yet raised. The rest looks fine to me. Bet the turn to see where you are when the K falls as it could be a scare card for him as well.

Sasnak
04-15-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK I cheated and read the results first, but isn't this one of those situations where a bet could only cost you? When I get in these situations where someone is just calling me down I think he would only call me with a winner, and if he raises then what? check/call? bet/fold? Am I too weak, or is this a leak?

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

You remind me of someone... oh yeah... me. I fail to see the 'value' in betting here as well and am patiently waiting for a reply to your post.

grjr
04-15-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

You remind me of someone... oh yeah... me. I fail to see the 'value' in betting here as well and am patiently waiting for a reply to your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this a read-dependent type situation on the river? You bet into the passive player and check to the aggressive player.

Sasnak
04-15-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this a read-dependent type situation on the river? You bet into the passive player and check to the aggressive player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be, but in my short "let's get serious about poker" stint it seems the passive is willing to call your bets so you'd better be ahead somewhere along the line, while a TAG could lay down. Still haven't quite got a solid read on a LAG though.

MrEngenic
04-15-2005, 04:12 PM
I would definately bet the turn and expect him to either raise (and I fold) or fold. It's tough to know what he has when he only calls. I can't see any holding that a good player would play this way, and since he probably is bad I would value bet and expect to see something like TT or 99 or maybe a slowplay raise with a Q.
I can't see the suits of the cards though, maybe a flush draw is out there.

MrWookie47
04-15-2005, 04:26 PM
I think you're assuming that you're up against a good player. You'll be called down with enough low pocket pairs, naked aces, JT, J9, or total garbage that not betting the turn and river here is a crime.

Just because he was holding the K doesn't mean your bet was wrong. Give him the ol' "nh," and be thankful he didn't raise and charge you an extra bet to see the showdown.