PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set. Played too fast?

kongo_totte
04-15-2005, 09:59 AM
New to table, no reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO ($155.3)
Button ($134.35)
SB ($66.75)
BB ($100)
UTG ($100)
UTG+1 ($101.9)
Hero ($148.5)
MP2 ($99.9)
MP3 ($100)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.50, BB calls $1.

Flop: ($8) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1</font>, BB calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $9</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $39

IRV
04-15-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
New to table, no reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO ($155.3)
Button ($134.35)
SB ($66.75)
BB ($100)
UTG ($100)
UTG+1 ($101.9)
Hero ($148.5)
MP2 ($99.9)
MP3 ($100)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.50, BB calls $1.

Flop: ($8) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1</font>, BB calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $9</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $39

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was a very good play. You don't want anyone drawing cheap on that board.

djoyce003
04-15-2005, 10:28 AM
It all really depends on your risk tolerance. That is a draw heavy board. The UTG raise already prevents someone from drawing cheaply. You could smooth call here, and pop a non-scary turn card. I personally like the raise though...his reraise signifies he likes his hand, and he is very likely to call your raise, he just didn't in this case.

Rickyroodido
04-15-2005, 10:31 AM
I play 0.25$ so im probably not the best one to answer this. However my main income comes from people calling that type of raises, and I have noticed that its got some byllying effect. As far as I can se you have to protect your hand against the flush, and possible straightdraws so its seems like a question between winning a bigger pot with a greater risk and taking down a small one safe. I like giving people bad odds instead of freecards, but thats me a NL 0.25 player.
I hope this wasnt to obvious...

FlipPoker
04-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Not fast at all. With 4 players and a board with possible flush and straight draws, you can't slowplay. You have to make it expensive for someone hoping to see another /images/graemlins/spade.gif or low card on the turn. Also, your raise wasn't too big to keep UTG aroudn if he had AA or KK. I think you played it fine.

just2ska
04-15-2005, 11:04 AM
love that move

swolfe
04-15-2005, 12:35 PM
it's fine. sometimes people don't have much...

kurto
04-15-2005, 01:03 PM
I can never decide if I'm too weak or not. One hand everyone's encourage aggression and I'm saying the opposite. On this hand, I, personally, would slow down.

Here's my .02:

When the UTG raised to $9, I would have been willing to bet it was going to go heads up.

UTG raised preflop, and reraised on the flop. The only hand he has that he might have raised with that I'm really afraid of is AKs.

I think he's playing it more like an overpair who wants to shut out any draws. In which case you're really only worried about 2 outs.

SB's bet was weak... he's got a small piece but doesn't want to play it for a real bet. He was likely to fold to UTG's bet.

I call the reraise and induce a bet on the turn, then raise.

steaknshake925
04-15-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he's playing it more like an overpair who wants to shut out any draws. In which case you're really only worried about 2 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem with flatcalling is that if villain has an overpair you might be able to get it in on the flop anyway, whereas if u wait until the turn some scare card might fall and kill ur action. so against a likely overpair i think the flop is the best place to try to get the money in.

FlipPoker
04-15-2005, 01:33 PM
I like re-raising on the flop because I want to get heads up. I see your point about smooth-calling the flop and then popping the turn. However, I need a less coordinated board to smooth-call. In general, I like to play sets fast. I'm curious as to why he folded. I'd expect him to call the reraise. Maybe he was just trying to steal the pot.

xixel
04-15-2005, 01:49 PM
I like it, takes away the flush draws odds to call.

kurto
04-15-2005, 02:41 PM
"the problem with flatcalling is that if villain has an overpair you might be able to get it in on the flop anyway, whereas if u wait until the turn some scare card might fall and kill ur action." I understand. But, there are more non-scare cards then scare cards. I'm only suggesting this might be a hand to gamble for the chance of making even more.

with hindsight, we see that the villain didn't have that strong a hand since he folded to the reraise. Had hero smoothcalled, there's a good chance the villain would continue with his aggression. (so many of these people will continue to fire away with unimproved AK if they don't improve so long as no one fires back.)

I have definitely fastplayed sets with a lot of limpers... I'm only suggesting in this case, I think there was a good chance that hero would have been headsup (due to villains reraise) and was likely to be a significant favorite.

There is nothing wrong with taking it down on the flop, of course. But I might have gambled here and given another card.

MisterKing
04-15-2005, 03:51 PM
I like the line, but I'd urge you to consider upping your bet by 10 to 25%. There's $18 in the pot when it gets to you, and you're making it $20 to go. When it gets back to UTG, he's looking at $11 to call and a $38 pot (assuming the player inbetween folds), getting 3.5:1. I know its not horrible to be against a flush draw while offering 3.5:1, since you have the stack to shut him out on the turn if necessary, but I'd like those odds for UTG to be just a shade thinner. More sklansky bucks for you if he calls, and no difference of course if he folds. Your hand is good here 95% of the time I think, and of those 5% you're not good you have guaranteed redraws.