PDA

View Full Version : AJs in CO TPTK river makes a straight

Sasnak
04-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Villain is 66/2.75/.8 over 75 hands.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (8 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP3 folds. <font color="blue">(I keep on firing until I get pushed back) </font>

River: (11 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls. <font color="blue">(According AC in a reply in another thread, a call here is sufficient. Now that I have decided to push the river action, raising TPTK on a scary board is something I should be backing off from.) </font>

Final Pot: 17 BB

McGahee
04-15-2005, 09:42 AM
I don't understand what a river raise accomplishes. Is any A or 6 going to fold?
I like the rest.

Sasnak
04-15-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand what a river raise accomplishes. Is any A or 6 going to fold?
I like the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's a 'carry over' from my previous foray into a 2+2 private table??? SOMEBODY STOP ME!

the_rookie
04-15-2005, 09:46 AM
I like the hand up to the river. Just call BB's bet and let SB call as well. By raising you could fold out SB and get re-raised by BB.

In other words you are losing 3 bets when you are behind, and gaining 2 bets when you raise and get called by BB.

By just calling you give SB an opportunity to call (might not call 2-cold like he did in this hand) and you gain 2 bets as well.

You should've stopped the action at "BB bets" but I'm still fairly certain this line is best. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PokerProdigy
04-15-2005, 09:50 AM
I like the play on all spots, EXCEPT the river. You may be beat so don't raise (because you open yourself up to reraise, etc...) but even more importantly in this situation is that you want overcalls, and your river raise won't help you get any overcalls.

topspin
04-15-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In other words you are losing 3 bets when you are behind, and gaining 2 bets when you raise and get called by BB.

By just calling you give SB an opportunity to call (might not call 2-cold like he did in this hand) and you gain 2 bets as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect analysis. This is a classic "going for overcalls" situation.

the_rookie
04-15-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the play on all spots, EXCEPT the river. You may be beat so don't raise (because you open yourself up to reraise, etc...) but even more importantly in this situation is that you want overcalls, and your river raise won't help you get any overcalls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe I like expanation better than mine... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

bubbahotep
04-15-2005, 09:54 AM
My first hand reply post, so I might not know what I'm talking about...

Preflop raise looks good

Flop raise I think is ok. You have two overcards, gutshot straight draw and a backdoor flush draw. Although I guess the ace isnt that good because if an ace drops it helps anyone that has a 4.

Turn jack is good for you and I think the bet here was ok to see what others do. Things are looking ok after turn.

Your river bet Im not sure of. I fell like just a call is correct. I dont think thats a passive move, but it may be. I tend to be too passive I think.

PokerProdigy
04-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Hey I got a question for you all, what would you guys do if an ace fell on the turn in this example/hand? Would you still call your hand down if an ace fell (on the turn)? Basically, I am asking how many outs does this guy have on the flop? Now most people will say he has 4.5 outs (3 for the two overcards and 1.5 for the backdoor flush) but it seem to me that this should be adjusted a bit because an ace likely completes a straight (given the action) and a jack may be suseptible to redraws, seems to me like a 3.5-4 outer.

@bsolute_luck
04-15-2005, 10:13 AM
i'd play it the same even if an A hits on the turn.