PDA

View Full Version : When to give up on this blind steal gone wrong?

deception5
04-15-2005, 05:20 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (6 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Just looking back at some old hands to try and figure out where I've made mistakes. Found this in PT and I only have 22 hands on this person so I probably didn't have enough info at the time for an accurate read. I think I played this hand poorly so please feel free to let me have it!

Here's my thought process - please let me know where I should (or if I shouldn't) let this go.

Preflop - folded to me in the small blind and I think I have a huge equity edge here so I raise. Is it even worth stealing at .50/1.00?

Flop - paired board probably didn't hit him so I bet to try to take the pot. I am raised so I think I'm probably behind here (although I could be against a straight draw semi-bluffing). I call planning to check/fold the turn.

Turn I picked up an open ended straight draw so I semi-bluff and take another shot at the pot. I am not happy when he calls.

The river double pairs the board possibly counterfeiting a small pocket pair - 22-55 and also tying me with any other unpaired ace. When I am raised I make the crying call in case he was trying to take the pot away with a busted draw/etc.

Thanks for your help!
D5

jaxUp
04-15-2005, 05:24 AM
I like the PFR, and the flop bet. Not sure where to go from there. I am eager for input from others here.

stabn
04-15-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Preflop - folded to me in the small blind and I think I have a huge equity edge here so I raise. Is it even worth stealing at .50/1.00?

[/ QUOTE ]
3 handed this is not stealing. That's a raise you need to be making every time 3-4 handed.

NAU_Player
04-15-2005, 05:31 AM
if you are willing to put a bet in on the river with a double paired board, you should check/call. other than that, this hand is standard IMO

cnfuzzd
04-15-2005, 05:48 AM
leading this turn will rarely make anyone fold. A checkraise is a much bolder statement of strength, but you need to have fairly tight control over your opponent. Fwiw, i c/r here a lot. If you are playing lots of shorthanded, check out the hush forum.

peace

john nickle

DeathbySuckout
04-15-2005, 06:04 AM
I think I would've check/called the turn, and check/folded the river.

ArturiusX
04-15-2005, 06:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I would've check/called the turn, and check/folded the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we're calling the turn, we're calling any river card.

sin808
04-15-2005, 06:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3 handed this is not stealing. That's a raise you need to be making every time 3-4 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

word.

I prefer to c/r the turn rather than betting out more often than not. Against the right opponent a stop n go can work here, but for most the c/r is usually a better option. It shows more strength and will usually get you a free showdown should you wish.

sungod
04-15-2005, 07:03 AM
Would it be weak to fold to the flop-raise? I'm asking, because that's my first thought here really.

cnfuzzd
04-15-2005, 07:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Would it be weak to fold to the flop-raise? I'm asking, because that's my first thought here really.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. but only because you have entered the realm of Shorthandedness, where everything is really wacky. Card sense means a lot there, and A high is a powerhouse. Sometimes. Check out the HUSH (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&amp;Board=headsup) forum for a smattering of SH play. Its fun, but can appear very bizaar for someone used to a full ring game.

peace

john nickle

deception5
04-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks all - as a side note I occasionally encounter this situation in a full ring game as well - where it's folded to me in the small blind with a hand like this one. Do you play the same way in that case?

Thanks!
D5

bottomset
04-15-2005, 10:20 AM
flop is good

turn is either a check/call, or check/raise

i think against an unknown at this level its check/call

Trix
04-15-2005, 10:48 AM
I like your play till the turn, then it gets quite fuzzy :P

What is it that makes a semibluff a semibluff ? And why do you want to do it here ?

[ QUOTE ]
The river double pairs the board possibly counterfeiting a small pocket pair - 22-55 and also tying me with any other unpaired ace

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all nice, but why does that make you bet ?

MrWookie47
04-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Grunching.

Excellent PFR. I make that every time. Following it up with a flop bet is SOP, especially since it's unlikely to have connected with him (paired board). Once he raises, I think you call and take a peek at the turn. That's a pretty decent turn card for you, and you have odds to call to your OESD. I think that after he raised the flop, your fold equity is gone. I think a check/call is better here. On the river, I don't think your bet will be called by worse hand, but your ace may have some showdown value. I don't think the villain is folding here, so if I want to show it down, I'll check/call. Once he raises you, I'm not sure if you're good 1 time in 9. You could make a case for folding to that raise. It looks like he was holding a 6, the 9 scared him a bit, and then he got his confidence back with the house.

deception5
04-15-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It looks like he was holding a 6, the 9 scared him a bit, and then he got his confidence back with the house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great read!

deception5
04-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the great responses all! Next time I will probably try for the turn check/raise and see what happens from there!

Thanks again,
D5