PDA

View Full Version : AJ in small stakes limit

edgmatt
04-15-2005, 03:12 AM
Im new at playing limit, I understand the basics. I had AJo under the gun playing .50 1.00 limit, I raised. Next 2 guys fold, then a re-raise, fold, another re-raise, fold, fold, fold back to me. I folded. First guy was LAP, Second guy was TAA. DID I DO THE RIGHT THING???

shant
04-15-2005, 03:25 AM
Yes.

Demana
04-15-2005, 03:33 AM
AJo is one of the hardest hands to play. Only better hands will call or raise you. You're better off limping in or if you are not sure of your postflop skills, folding preflop. It'll save you money till you're better able to play the hand.

Nick Royale
04-15-2005, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Only better hands will call or raise you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you playing 15/30? This ain't the least bit true for .0-1.

[ QUOTE ]
You're better off limping in or if you are not sure of your postflop skills, folding preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree.

synthtrance
04-15-2005, 04:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
AJo is one of the hardest hands to play. Only better hands will call or raise you. You're better off limping in or if you are not sure of your postflop skills, folding preflop. It'll save you money till you're better able to play the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

On folding this preflop in ep, you say you need some postflop skills. Would you be able to expand on that? Just want to know if I can play AJo properly.

HajiShirazu
04-15-2005, 06:36 AM
Playing AJ is just like AK after the flop, except you have to fold more flops because you don't always have two overcards, and occasionally you flop pairs other than top pair.

w_alloy
04-15-2005, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im new at playing limit, I understand the basics. I had AJo under the gun playing .50 1.00 limit, I raised. Next 2 guys fold, then a re-raise, fold, another re-raise, fold, fold, fold back to me. I folded. First guy was LAP, Second guy was TAA. DID I DO THE RIGHT THING???

[/ QUOTE ]

Exact same way I would have played it.

Folding AJo UTG at this limit is a mistake regardless of your skill level imo.

kyzerjose
04-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Easy fold.

AJo UTG is worth a limp but nothing more.

I'm looking for a flop that gives me choices.

a. J high and rags
b. under cards and semi coordinated.
c. made broadways
d. AJ
e. backdoor flush draws with the A suit
f. J trips
g. Ax, with action behind you, can lead to some very nasty surprizes at a loose table.

chesspain
04-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Good raise preflop, followed by a good fold. When a TAG enters the pot with a cap, you can feel pretty confident that your AJo is likely drawing to three outs.

destro
04-15-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

AJo UTG is worth a limp but nothing more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise AJo UTG everytime. The fold was good.

adamstewart
04-15-2005, 09:45 AM
For all those who say you should only limp with AJo...

Generally, AJo is a "raise or fold" hand preflop. I raise with EP, MP, and LP, if the pot hasn't yet been raised.

If the pot is raised in front of me, it's a fold.

The only time I limp with AJo is when there are several limpers in ahead of me... then raising with this hand doesn't serve much purpose as you're only building a multi-way pot with a hand that doesn't play well multi-way.

(NOTE: The above discussion does not consider AJo from the blinds.)

Adam

shark6
04-15-2005, 01:08 PM
You have to raise it anywhere if you are opening the pot. Among other justifications, raising gives the other players a reason to fold their weaker K’s and Q’s. This helps improve your chances of winning the pot.

CallMeIshmael
04-15-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For all those who say you should only limp with AJo...

Generally, AJo is a "raise or fold" hand preflop. I raise with EP, MP, and LP, if the pot hasn't yet been raised.

If the pot is raised in front of me, it's a fold.

The only time I limp with AJo is when there are several limpers in ahead of me... then raising with this hand doesn't serve much purpose as you're only building a multi-way pot with a hand that doesn't play well multi-way.

(NOTE: The above discussion does not consider AJo from the blinds.)

Jordan (to prevent further confusion)

[/ QUOTE ]

adamstewart
04-15-2005, 01:58 PM
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

kyzerjose
04-15-2005, 06:35 PM
I went back and checked SSHE.
I stand corrected. Damn bumped my head.
Thanks for the course correction.

adamstewart
04-15-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went back and checked SSHE.
I stand corrected. Damn bumped my head.
Thanks for the course correction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, what I said was contradictory to SSH. SSH says to limp with AJo in EP. A lot of players here raise, though.

Adam

kyzerjose
04-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Hmm, curious

#73 - Big Off-Suit Broadway cards,

"You can open with these cards from any position. Raise any of these hands if it hasn't already been raised."

There's a "consideration" footnote about coming in after 5 or 6 limpers.

#80 - Tight games MP w no raise in front.

#82 - Loose Games w no raise in front EP, MP

damaniac
04-16-2005, 09:46 AM
The opening raise part has been argued out (I'm getting a little tired of people saying you have to limp with AJo in EP, but anyway), and your fold is also good, as others nted. I believe this is straight out of SSHE. P. 86, call if it is two bets back to you with a pocket pair, but fold hands like AJo (it is the example hand) if it is two back. The problem with it is you are almost certainly behind a bigger pair or better A. You may well be with the 8's too, but then you have odds to flop a set and give yourself a strong hand, whereas you can flop an A or J and not be sure where you are with AJ. Perfectly played.