PDA

View Full Version : Brought Down to Earth

Poolgod32
04-15-2005, 03:01 AM
So I finally got a monitor big enough to start 4 tabling the SNGS at Party. My goal is to move up to the $109 within a year and make this my full time job. Played my first 4 table set and finished 2,3,2,3. So I decided to kick it into high gear. I played 14 in a row. ITM in only 2 and it knocked about $70 off my bankroll.
Man poker is hard. I know not to focus on the shortterm too much but its tough when u get hammered like that.
On a brighter note I did have 2 1sts and 1 2nd in a 4 match set tonight. 4 tabling is definitely a little tougher than I thought.

McBandit
04-15-2005, 03:12 AM
One thing that REALLY helped me multitable was a better monitor. I used to have a fairly low resolution monitor that had too much overlap between the tables. The constant bouncing around made it really difficult to concentrate and remember which players did what. Now, with my 19in high res monitor it is so much easier and smoother. I don't think I would have much trouble 8-tabling with a 2nd monitor.

As for swings, I would say that about 20% of the time I am in some sort of a slump. That doesn't sound like a lot, but that is one day a week I am getting slaughtered. It is something you will get used to. Sometimes I even drop down a level or two for a day just to regroup mentally if I find the bad beats are making me too angry. It works.

Good luck,
McBandit

Poolgod32
04-15-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing that REALLY helped me multitable was a better monitor. I used to have a fairly low resolution monitor that had too much overlap between the tables. The constant bouncing around made it really difficult to concentrate and remember which players did what. Now, with my 19in high res monitor it is so much easier and smoother. I don't think I would have much trouble 8-tabling with a 2nd monitor.

As for swings, I would say that about 20% of the time I am in some sort of a slump. That doesn't sound like a lot, but that is one day a week I am getting slaughtered. It is something you will get used to. Sometimes I even drop down a level or two for a day just to regroup mentally if I find the bad beats are making me too angry. It works.

Good luck,
McBandit

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! My monitor has no overlap. I have no excuses. I played like an idiot and was really only drawn out on one time (KK vs AJ)

Blarg
04-15-2005, 03:19 AM
Yeah, it is hard. But as Dan Harrington says, be glad it's hard, because that means not many people will get good enough to beat you if you put in a lot of study and get your skill up there.

Of course, there are some for whom it's easy. Oh, well. Sometimes victory is pretty sweet when it's hard-won, too.

Poolgod32
04-15-2005, 03:23 AM
Yeah
nothing beats the thrill of putting a guy on second pair, milking his bets the whole hand with your top pair and end up taking half his stack by the end. It keeps you coming back over and over...that feeling of...superiority. hehe

The Yugoslavian
04-15-2005, 02:30 PM
This isn't getting hammered. This is more like getting a rough massage....unpleasant, but by no means like getting beat up in an alley.

Yugoslav

pooh74
04-15-2005, 02:53 PM
$70 off my bankroll.

what % is that? I have days where my BR goes up or down b/t 10-20%...no big deal, get used to it...if your BR is 200, you shouldnt be 4 tabling IMO.

Poolgod32
04-15-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$70 off my bankroll.

what % is that? I have days where my BR goes up or down b/t 10-20%...no big deal, get used to it...if your BR is 200, you shouldnt be 4 tabling IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

This represented about 13% off my bankroll. Im trying to soley build it up by playing no bonuses. It wasnt the dollars or the percentage. It was the fact that I did not play well and I couldnt get in the money to save my life
Fortunately I am over that phase...for now!!

LeVoodoo
04-16-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm going through the exact same thing right now poolgod. I've plowed through the 5.5's and 10.1's (1-2 tables) in the past few months, but since I started 4-tabling I am getting abused.

What's most frustrating is that I feel like I am playing the same way I always have, but now the results are not there. My ROI is dwindling around zero playing four tables at once. The worst part is, to take a breather and avoid tilt, i've played a few sessions single or double tabling and my results in those games is as good as ever. This makes me nervous.

I'll keep chugging along, I hope you do the same. Our sample sizes are still clearly insignificant.
Just make sure you go back to one or two tables if you think you're bankroll is taking too much of a hit.

Poolgod32
04-16-2005, 02:38 AM
Levoodoo
You are right. I dropped to 3 tabling with a little bit of 4 tabling mixed in. Had 2 1sts in a 5 game match. Not a big sample but its clear 4 tabling is tough