PDA

View Full Version : he's testing me

11-01-2002, 11:13 PM
So I was excited to be entering my first NL tournament in ages (fricking senior essays), today's $500 WPF event. Then barely into the event, the following hand came up. I'm posting it here because I'm not really interested in the "tournament" aspects of it, just in how it works as a NL hand:

246 players left (that's all of them), blinds are 15-25 and most people have around their original T1500, I have a little less.

In the cutoff, I have AdQs and I raise to T100, and only the BB calls.

The flop is Qc4h5c. BB checks and I bet T200. BB check-raises, making it T400 total. Of course, I figure he might do this with a wide variety of hands, including straight draws, flush draws, or a queen with a worse kicker. In fact, I make a pretty strong read that he's "testing" me, most likely with a draw.

I reraise and make it T800 to go. He thinks and thinks and thinks and thinks, and then dramatically pushes all-in. "Time to go home." My first instinct is that I'm pot commited, and that I should call -- but then I realize that this is classic BB hits his set behavior, and that I'm probably something like a 45-1 dog. I fold -- he shows his 55 before throwing it in, and I eventually bust out in the second round.

So here's what came out of this:

1) I thought back, and realized that almost every time I've put the "testing me" read on someone, they've had a set. A similar thing happened when I reraised Jimmy Tran's small check-raise at the Legends of Poker. Again I folded, and he showed 22 for the set.

2) I'm not happy with my reraise amount. I think folding to a small check-raise on a drawing board would usually be giving up too much, but T800 has a very clumsy feel. Actually, I think I made the raise with the intention of calling a reraise, and just changed my intention. Of course, raising less might allow someone to draw, and raising more (i.e. all-in) would just be too much.

3) From the tournament perspective: while my stack was dwindling, I noticed that very few people seemed to be making strong moves with draws in the early going. Perhaps this is psychological? such moves are obviously pos. e.v., but higher variance, which most people are afraid in the first rounds where they're imagining themselves as the winner. Also, after watching many small check-raises, it seemed everyone who made them had the goods. Anyway, this tourney had a very different texture from some others I've played where the action has been faster. Also, I felt it was a bad play on my part, though I would probably make the same play routinely in a ring game.

Lurker
11-02-2002, 12:55 AM
Hey Ben.

It's John here...I think it's you, Mr. Morris, and if so, I'll see you at our regular game tomorrow at 2 pm.

I think that the reason you are having so much trouble figuring out what the proper re-raise would be to punish a draw but not commit you to the pot is because there is no such amount. With short tourney-style stacks, your read becomes incredibly important. When he checkraises even just a tiny T200 bit more, that's the moment when you have to decide if he's beating you or not and commit yourself to the pot with a raise or bail out and fold. You say that he might make this play with a weaker hand, but you don't have the luxury of another bet to find out. Make your decision sooner.

I don't think that making it T800 to go in this spot and then folding to the rereraise will be correct for you in the long run.

-L.

Ray Zee
11-02-2002, 11:26 AM
Ben, you could have just called his raise as half the deck would put the nuts out there. then play cat and mouse the rest of the hand.

11-02-2002, 01:26 PM
I generally agree with you lurker. I think that I should only raise if I'm willing to call a reraise, otherwise I've turned my hand into a pure bluff -- he's certainly not going to just call. In this case, I had intended to call a reraise, but changed my mind after the fact.

ben

TAFKAn
11-04-2002, 03:20 PM
I'm posting it here because I'm not really interested in the "tournament" aspects of it, just in how it works as a NL hand:

There is no way to properly evaluate a "tourney" hand without considering the tourney context. You cannot buy more chips if you bust. That is the paramount, over-riding aspect of every hand you play in a tourney.

In a live game, you just buy more chips. Endy story.

For example, you said: "In the cutoff, I have AdQs and I raise to T100, and only the BB calls."

This is a terrible move outside of a tourney.

In a live game, it's a sure sign of a sucker to see someone commit half of their stack and fold for the rest. In a tourney, you probably shouldn't do it often but since you will be done if you lose, you have to do it sometimes.

Just a couple points for consideration. Live play and tourney play are worlds apart.

11-04-2002, 03:26 PM
I'm sorry, how is open-raising in a ring game with AQ a terrible move?

2ndGoat
11-05-2002, 04:04 AM
If you play AQo, Doyle will come bludgeon you with a cold flounder.

2ndGoat

Inthacup
11-05-2002, 06:41 AM
seriously?

11-05-2002, 06:48 AM
Maybe he only does that to me.