PDA

View Full Version : New to Site, Want to Take Learning to Next Level

TheLion
04-15-2005, 02:13 AM
Hi, I am new to this site and plan on becoming an active partticipant on the forum. I am 18 and have been playing poker (primarily NLHE) for around 8 months now. Poker has begun to dominate my life, which I have no problem with; I am absolutely infatuated with the many aspects of it (as I am sure many of you are).I play online as much as I can and play in a home game twice a week. I am starting to become pretty good at it and I want to take my learning to the next level. So far I have read (cover to cover): Super System 2, Caro's Book of Tells, Theory of Poker, Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players, Inside the Poker Mind, and Harrington on Hold 'em. I am currently reading Tao of Poker and I plan on reading The Psychology of Poker and look forward to the second eddition of Harrington on Hold 'em. I plan on continuing to read more and more books, as each one has helped my game in different ways, but I would like to take my learning to the next level and find a private teacher. If any of you have any suggestions on how to go about this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Andy B
04-16-2005, 12:44 AM
A respected poster in the stud forum expressed interest in getting a mentor a month or three back. An even more respected poster opined that anyone who was worth having as a teacher is too busy actually making money playing poker to bother with such things. He's probably right.

I've read over 100 poker books, several of them many times over. I don't think anything has helped my game more than participating in this forum.

TheLion
04-16-2005, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the input. I think there are many opinions on this and I respect yours. But in "Inside The Poker Mind", John Feeney expressed how much his mentor contributed to his game, and I feel a mentor could do the same for me.

littledave
04-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Andy you're right a lot around here but here's one that I disagree with - I go with the old sayings like "do as I say, not as I do" and "if you can't make money, teach".

There are many people who are so very smart, who really "get it" and can play, but yet cannot communicate their knowledge to others.

Then there are those who really are great communicators, really great teachers, but cannot actually put the theory and knowledge into practice.

When I was a technical writer at a large company in a past life, I saw many people who could really explain how to do a process but when it came down to doing it, took so long that it really wasn't a good idea to have this person on the line.

So I say, yes, there are some really great mentors out there. Rarely, though, do you find a mentor who is so dedicated to teaching that at the same time can make decent money.

Andy B
04-16-2005, 02:24 PM
That was a different time and a different place, though.

Gregg777
04-16-2005, 02:43 PM
This is from the classifieds section:

ML4L Is Now Offering One-on-One Coaching for No-Limit Hold 'Em!
It can take thousands of hands and many lost buy-ins to learn no-limit hold 'em on your own. Learn to play winning poker today with one-on-one poker coaching!
PM ML4L or e-mail pokercoachmike@hotmail.com