PDA

View Full Version : 98s in SB: semi-interesting

BigE
04-15-2005, 01:19 AM
My first post! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just sat down, no particular reads.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

River: (7.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

-E

Chairman Wood
04-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Welcome
I fold this preflop.
Flop:
Nice c/r. Call the raise, cool.
Turn:
cool
River: Do you think you're good 1 for every nine times here? I don't know, I'm bad at this. I say no.

BigE
04-15-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
I fold this preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

hm... is this a clear fold or a close decision for calling? Is calling a major leak in this situation?

[ QUOTE ]
River: Do you think you're good 1 for every nine times here? I don't know, I'm bad at this. I say no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the turn action really helps answer this question. The fact that the turn was checked through was a fair indication that not only was my opponent on a draw, but he probably didn't even have a pair. Does the possibility of me having the best hand on the river warrent a 9:1 call? Based on the turn action, I thought it did.

Thanks

-E

Fat Nicky
04-15-2005, 12:33 PM
I don't like like the pre-flop call either. You're hand is simply not strong enough and there are not enough players in the pot to make up for this.

I really like the flop check/raise. After the turn is checked through, I think you have to call this river.

Welcome aboard.

meep_42
04-15-2005, 12:38 PM
I agree with the pf fold. 98s is a speculative hand that you want to get in cheaply with and see a flop multi-way when you don't have the lead. The pf raiser isn't likely on a steal, so I think this is one of those cases where you can let it go and move on to the next hand, since this isn't likely to get too multi-way. (If BB were overly loose and passive, and will pay off post-flop, I don't think this is too bad.)

Flop is great.
Turn is standard.
With a pot this big, I don't think the river call is bad versus an unknown, though you're betting:

a) he raised light pre-flop and 3-bet with a draw or vapor on the flop
b) he has exactly AQ or AT (probably diamonds or hearts)

I might toss the BB in there to look him up, but I don't expect to win this one 1 in 9 -- i'm just saying I don't think the river call is too -EV. (I'm guessing he had 99, TT, or QQ and got scared on the turn)

-d

MoreWineII
04-15-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm not a fan of preflop either. What it boils down to is that you just don't have a strong enough hand against a small field.

Flop, fantastic.

River: I think you may be too optimistic here. He could have AJ, QQ and wimped out when the overcard hit. He could also have been trying for a donk-ish check-raise and whiffed. Personally, I don't think you're good enough here often enough to make the call. There's really only one hand that I can put him on that you beat - AQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif...maaaaybe AT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

But I don't think you are making a huge mistake either way. Calling too often in medium-sized pots &gt; folding too often in medium-sized pots.

chief444
04-15-2005, 12:50 PM
I like the postflop play.

I find the river comments interesting. This seems like a very standard check/call situation given the turn check.

BigE
04-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks for all the comments!

I see all your points about folding pre-flop here. Just to expand on the idea, would you be more inclined to call if there were 1 more player in? how about 2? What if I was BB and the SB called? I think these are good question for me to learn from.

From some of the comments about the river call, it seems that most of you thought I was heads up with the PFRer at the end. But actually it was the PF limper, who 3 betted the flop after my check raise and pushed out the PFRer.... much to my surprise btw.

So in this case the limper would have a much wider range of hands than the PFRer here... so knowing that, would it change your opinion of the river play?

Thanks

-E

meep_42
04-15-2005, 01:22 PM
I missed that... the check-3bet looks a lot like a naked J or a diamond draw. I think a call is fine here, still, but I wouldn't expect too much out of it.

-d

BigE
04-15-2005, 08:20 PM
I call the river. Opponent shows 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for a busted OESD and MHIG.

Pre-flop: A call here is fairly marginal. It would've been better if there were 1 or two extra limpers and/or the BB was know to be loose. However, I'm looking to expand my hand selection and at the time I thought this was worth a call.

Flop: I hit the flop but that was about it. I didn't feel betting here would achieve much so I checked and waited to see what happened. PFRer's continuation bet here was pretty much expected. Now it's either raise or fold and I strongly felt raising was the only option as the pot was big enough to play for.

The limper's check/3-bet here caught me by surprise. First impression here was that he most likely was slowplaying a set... PFRer folded (nice). My only option is to call and see if I improve.

Turn: no improvements here. I was getting ready to fold until my lone opponent opted to check instead! Hm... time to re-evaluate. This just screams flush draw, but did he have a pair (jacks)? If he did why would he check here? There's no way he can know I only have middle pair. So most likely he has nothing but a draw.

River: nice card for me as I seriously think I have the best hand. But not good enough to bet... I check my poor but probably best hand. He takes a stab, I call and he actualy had a OESD.

Aside from the marginal flop call, I felt I played it pretty well. I also felt my opponent played it well too. His check on the turn gave his hand away, but that's only because my hand was much weaker than he put me on.

Thanks for all the comments!

-E

tytygoodnuts
04-15-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a fan of preflop either. What it boils down to is that you just don't have a strong enough hand against a small field.

Flop, fantastic.

River: I think you may be too optimistic here. He could have AJ, QQ and wimped out when the overcard hit. He could also have been trying for a donk-ish check-raise and whiffed. Personally, I don't think you're good enough here often enough to make the call. There's really only one hand that I can put him on that you beat - AQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif...maaaaybe AT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

But I don't think you are making a huge mistake either way. Calling too often in medium-sized pots &gt; folding too often in medium-sized pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, folding is big mistake. Do you honestly think you have the worst hand here over 90% of the time?? The fact that this guy checked the turn is a STRONG indication that he is on a draw. Don't let the flop 3-bet scare you; people play stupid. BTW, I came to my conclusion before I checked the results.

CanKid
04-15-2005, 09:31 PM
junk this preflop