PDA

View Full Version : Worst beer ever

Rhone
04-15-2005, 01:14 AM
Inspired by the recent best beer thread, what's the worst beer you've ever had?

The worst beer I've ever tasted is National Bohemian, aka "Natty Boh". I don't know if this was ever available outside Baltimore, so many of you may never have had the...ummm...pleasure...of tasting it. But this was the cheapest, and therefore the most plentiful, brew around when I was in college.

The flavor: Imagine Budweiser or something light and neutral like that, but with a decidedly nasty aftertaste. There was no purpose to this beer except to get college kids drunk quickly and very, very cheaply. I imagine there are a lot of little breweries around the country making beers with the same objective.

Second place for me is some German beer that tasted like bacon that I had at Ashley's in Ann Arbor (fantastic bar, btw), but I can't remember the name.

What's the worst beer you've ever tasted?

fluxrad
04-15-2005, 01:18 AM
Natural Light.

Back in Missouri we used to call it "Frat Light"

Also Milwaukee's Best sucks pretty hard.

pshreck
04-15-2005, 01:18 AM
This thread is gonna be filled with micro brew beers gone bad.

I had one at a some local place last october, it was some 'apricot' beer, seasonal for oktoberfest.

I actually gagged on it, which is pretty ridiculous.

I've also had some of my friends home brewed beer, but I had to spit that out immediately and dont really count it.

jesusarenque
04-15-2005, 01:19 AM
Bud Light

[ QUOTE ]
Inspired by the recent best beer thread, what's the worst beer you've ever had?

The worst beer I've ever tasted is National Bohemian, aka "Natty Boh". I don't know if this was ever available outside Baltimore, so many of you may never have had the...ummm...pleasure...of tasting it. But this was the cheapest, and therefore the most plentiful, brew around when I was in college.

The flavor: Imagine Budweiser or something light and neutral like that, but with a decidedly nasty aftertaste. There was no purpose to this beer except to get college kids drunk quickly and very, very cheaply. I imagine there are a lot of little breweries around the country making beers with the same objective.

Second place for me is some German beer that tasted like bacon that I had at Ashley's in Ann Arbor (fantastic bar, btw), but I can't remember the name.

What's the worst beer you've ever tasted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Red White & Blue

nothumb
I drank a beer over New Year's in Chicago once called "Old Style," cost something like 9 bucks for a 30 rack. Gross.

NT

Rhone
04-15-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent. I forgot about this one...

vulturesrow
Ultra (low carb crap)

ThaSaltCracka
Schlitz Ice 800

It has a picture of a Half man/Half Bull on the label.

nothumb
04-15-2005, 01:21 AM
Also, Genny Ice is the worst beer I see regularly around here. That stuff is truly foul, and I don't even mind crappy beer.

NT

04-15-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't Milwaukee's Best and Old Style the same beer, put out by Heilmann (sp?) ... different names in different geographic regions? Or perhaps I'm confusing Milw's Best with another tin can of piss.

Ianco15
04-15-2005, 01:22 AM
Papst Blue Ribbon Beer.

Rhone
04-15-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread is gonna be filled with micro brew beers gone bad.

I had one at a some local place last october, it was some 'apricot' beer, seasonal for oktoberfest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, why do otherwise decent microbreweries always go overboard with these seasonal beers? I mean, pumpkin beer, c'mon. Is that really necessary?

Rhone
04-15-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't Milwaukee's Best and Old Style the same beer, put out by Heilmann (sp?) ... different names in different geographic regions? Or perhaps I'm confusing Milw's Best with another tin can of piss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, I don't know. I've had Milwaukee's Best, but have never heard of Old Style.

fluxrad
04-15-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Papst Blue Ribbon Beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, my friend. Pabst is the new yuppie beer of choice. In fact, a number of bars I frequent are starting to replace Rolling Rock with PBR.

It sickens me.

pshreck
04-15-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Papst Blue Ribbon Beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get it in a long neck bottle (24 bottles for 12 bucks), its significantly more drinkable than in a can.

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Rolling Rock sucks, like a lot. but Heineken edges it out barely in the shittyness department.

04-15-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, I don't know. I've had Milwaukee's Best, but have never heard of Old Style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure someone knows better than me ... assuming you even care ... but as I recall "Old Style" is Heilmann's crap brew that they market in Chicago. The slogan used to be "it's our beer and they can't have it", or something like that. My response was always "I don't want it", so there was no harm/no foul.

jesusarenque
I am drinking Old Style right now.

pshreck
[ QUOTE ]

Yea, why do otherwise decent microbreweries always go overboard with these seasonal beers? I mean, pumpkin beer, c'mon. Is that really necessary?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I mean, some people make apricot beers and pumpkin beers pretty decent.

But most of the local brews just muck it all up, and occasionally they have a beer that is practically undrinkable.

04-15-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

explains a lot /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nothumb
[ QUOTE ]
Oh no, my friend. Pabst is the new yuppie beer of choice. In fact, a number of bars I frequent are starting to replace Rolling Rock with PBR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that's because Pabst is better than Rolling Rock.

I go hooked on these when the bowling alley where I drank when underage had them on tap for $1.

NT
(Drinking a PBR right now actually)

Phoenix1010
[ QUOTE ]
Papst Blue Ribbon Beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pabst is delicious. Either that, or years of drinking it has warped my brain. At least it's cheap. My vote goes to Blatz.

-Phoenix

jesusarenque
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

explains a lot /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

InDEED.

Rhone
[ QUOTE ]
Rolling Rock sucks, like a lot. but Heineken edges it out barely in the shittyness department.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Heineken is a really horrible beer, but it definitely gets my vote for being the most overrated. A lot of people are convinced this is top shelf, premium stuff for some reason I've never been able to figure out.

Victor
04-15-2005, 01:29 AM
dude old style is the [censored].

pshreck
04-15-2005, 01:30 AM
Heineken is my hands down favorite mainstream lager.

I think the haters just dont have the palate(sp?) for it.

Victor
04-15-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Papst Blue Ribbon Beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

die

jesusarenque
04-15-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dude old style is the [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Among cheap beers, it is good.

Here is another question: What is the best really cheap beer?

My vote goes to Schaefer

ThaSaltCracka
The aftertaste of Heineken is what makes it so bad(to me atleast). As for PBR, it has more flavor than Budweiser, but thats not really a bad thing.

FWIW, I don't think I would ever turn down a beer.

PhatTBoll
Schafer. Mmmmm....aluminum

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2005, 01:32 AM
I think you just don't have a palate.

Victor
[ QUOTE ]
Oh no, my friend. Pabst is the new yuppie beer of choice

[/ QUOTE ]

yea this is bullshit and pisses me off. it used to be the cheapest at my corner store - 9.99 for a case. now its 11.99.

pshreck
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

very good point.

Victor
04-15-2005, 01:34 AM
i used to drink a ton of genny cream ale. now i cant and think its nasty.

ThaSaltCracka
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

very good point.

[/ QUOTE ]this is the best point isn't it. I think beer is easily the best beverage ever, water is a close second though, and finally coffee is third. In that order.

fluxrad
PBR sucks. It's popular for the same reason mesh-back caps and baseball t's are still in style...because yuppies assholes dragging down $90k a year refuse to let it die.

Rolling Rock is the best pisswater beer out there (other than possibly Coors Extra Gold). It's not going to win any international competitions, but it's good to get drunk to.

Victor
04-15-2005, 01:35 AM
you are so wrong. for years my ppl were the only one drinking pabst. i assure we arent yuppies nor making 90k. i have pt to prove the 2nd part.

fluxrad
04-15-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think beer is easily the best beverage ever, water is a close second though, and finally coffee is third. In that order.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Beer
2. Coffee
3. Iced Tea
4. Red Bull
4. Water

Red Bull gets low marks for treating your gums like Baghdad '03

Ianco15
04-15-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

very good point.

[/ QUOTE ]this is the best point isn't it. I think beer is easily the best beverage ever, water is a close second though, and finally coffee is third. In that order.

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO it goes:
1) Water. Because sometimes all you want is some water with nothing in it.
2) Beer.
3) Red Bull/Monster.
4) Coffee black.

Victor
04-15-2005, 01:37 AM
1. water
2. beer
3. gatorade

i dont think i have drank anything else in the last 5 yrs.

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2005, 01:38 AM
well, I like an energy drink from time to time, but those three are the trifecta though(beer, water, coffee).

DCJ311
04-15-2005, 01:44 AM
I had some Shiner Winter Ale recently that was pretty nasty. Tasted like it had nutmeg or cloves or something totally unnecessary brewed into it. As far as generic beers go, I've never been a fan of MGD. Bleh.

nothumb
04-15-2005, 01:47 AM
The haters will hate anything that even catches a whiff of being a fad, just let them crawl back into their holes and die. PBR is good stuff and it's still the cheapest 6pack at my liquor store.

NT

scotty34
04-15-2005, 02:08 AM
Any beer brewed in the United States. Most Americans don't even understand what a real beer is. My dorm is filled with a bunch of kids from all different states, who wouldn't drink anything but Bud for the first two weeks. Now they don't wanna go home this summer, just because they have to return to that American crap.

pshreck
04-15-2005, 02:09 AM
Is it fun living in the make-believe land of Canada?

jlpadge21
04-15-2005, 02:13 AM
Inebriator.
Great name, terrible beer.

rmarotti
04-15-2005, 02:14 AM
Carib. And it's not close.

nothumb
04-15-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any beer brewed in the United States. Most Americans don't even understand what a real beer is. My dorm is filled with a bunch of kids from all different states, who wouldn't drink anything but Bud for the first two weeks. Now they don't wanna go home this summer, just because they have to return to that American crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

USA! USA!

NT

scotty34
04-15-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it fun living in the make-believe land of Canada?

[/ QUOTE ]

We could use some nicer weather at times, and maybe a larger percentage of attractive women, but other than that, yes I quite enjoy it.

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]wow, you are an idiot.

fluxrad
04-15-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any beer brewed in the United States. Most Americans don't even understand what a real beer is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two words: Fat Tire.

Go the hell away.

scotty34
04-15-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You say this because you don't know any better. Spend a couple months drinking Sleeman's, Kokanee Gold, Alexander Keith's, Moosehead etc. and then try going back to MGD or Bud or whatever it is that you guys like. It will taste like bitter water. All the Americans I know here would have called me an idiot back in September, and I'm not lying, they seriously are choked about having to go back the American beer or paying a lot for import.

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2005, 02:25 AM
you do realize there are like a couple hundred thousand microbrews down here, right?

nothumb
04-15-2005, 02:26 AM
Maybe it will comfort them that there are more women than bears in their home country, and that it's easier to distinguish between the two.

NT

jakethebake
04-15-2005, 02:28 AM
NT:Never had any taste.

Clearly, the shampagnee of berrs is best. At being worst. And don't tell me your fridge didn't see too many of those 30 packs, right next to the [censored] slice.

shant
04-15-2005, 02:31 AM
Anyone who has drank a 40 of 211 and knows what your mouth tastes like and head feels like the next morning knows the answer to this question is 211.

pshreck
04-15-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you do realize there are like a couple hundred thousand microbrews down here, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

he clearly doesnt know what hes talking about.

scotty34
I was under the impression we were discussing beers that were available in most liquor stores, or are generally easy to find no matter where you are (ie. Bud, Corona, Guiness, Stella, Molson etc.). My apologies for my first post being far too general in that case. For the major beer labels though, Canadian beers are far superior to American, IMO of course.

nothumb
Wow... it's almost like... you know me.

Yes, in college I drank my fair share of MGD, and a variety of other gross beers. Because I just wanted something light and easy to sip on while I was wading through all that primo box. I was also broke, and after all that King Cobra I drank sophomore year, it was actually a step up.

NT

jakethebake
04-15-2005, 02:33 AM
The beers you mentioned, suck. If you are going to drink that Canadian pisswater, you have no [censored] high ground to bitch about american piss water. I really should start a BeerSnob gimmick account for all the [censored] morons who argue the relative merits of Moosehead vs. MGD.

deacsoft
04-15-2005, 02:52 AM
Red Stripe followed by all Miller products.

My top drinks..
1. Mountain Dew (I don't drink coffee and am super addicted to caffeine)
2. Water (don't drink nealy enough but it's always good)
3. Skim Milk (and it's so good for you)
4. Rolling Rock (it's okay if you hate it... I love it)
5. Champagne (I love the good stuff)

zokbarjazz
04-15-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i used to drink a ton of genny cream ale. now i cant and think its nasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe you're still with us. Anyone who's never tried this, don't.

And FWIW, Thumb is right on here. PBR is an excellent choice for any occasion.

augie00
04-15-2005, 03:09 AM
PBR and it's NOT EVEN CLOSE

jakethebake
04-15-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And FWIW, Thumb is right on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you shorten someone whose handle is "nothumb" to "Thumb" strips you of your right to ever speak, eat, [censored] or breathe again. Posting privileges are obviously included. I hope you aren't one of the children who is our future.

ethan
04-15-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You say this because you don't know any better. Spend a couple months drinking Sleeman's, Kokanee Gold, Alexander Keith's, Moosehead etc. and then try going back to MGD or Bud or whatever it is that you guys like. It will taste like bitter water. All the Americans I know here would have called me an idiot back in September, and I'm not lying, they seriously are choked about having to go back the American beer or paying a lot for import.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahahaha.

Oh man.

I was only browsing the early posts in this thread and saw the top one quoted here. Didn't give it much weight...figured it was from some German being snooty. But you said that being Canadian? aaaaahahahahahahahaha.

That's just *precious*.

Sure, MGD sucks. But aside from Unibroue, I don't think I've ever had good Canadian beer.

jakethebake
04-15-2005, 03:21 AM
ethan speaks truth.

[censored]
04-15-2005, 03:23 AM
All of it. I hate beer.

i wanna be me
04-15-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

count it!

Ianco15
04-15-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All of it. I hate beer.

[/ QUOTE ]
A wine man, eh?

[censored]
04-15-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All of it. I hate beer.

[/ QUOTE ]
A wine man, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wine is good. I like hard alcohol, Vodka especially.

zokbarjazz
04-15-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you shorten someone whose handle is "nothumb" to "Thumb" strips you of your right to ever speak, eat, [censored] or breathe again. Posting privileges are obviously included. I hope you aren't one of the children who is our future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it.

Ianco15
04-15-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All of it. I hate beer.

[/ QUOTE ]
A wine man, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A Grey Goose man, eh? That's good [censored]. Absolute is great aswell.

i wanna be me
04-15-2005, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You say this because you don't know any better. Spend a couple months drinking Sleeman's, Kokanee Gold, Alexander Keith's, Moosehead etc. and then try going back to MGD or Bud or whatever it is that you guys like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Rock makes some good beer too (Grasshopper and Trad) - Sleeman's Steam Beer rocks too! But seriously, it'd take me like 59 beer to get a buzz in the states (60 if I've had chili).

Sponger15SB
For the people saying Pabst Blue Ribbon, you all apparently haven't tried "Charles Reibenbach"

$3.99 for a 12 pack in albertsons, vons, etc.

This stuff is so bad you can't even beer bong it without gagging.

Ianco15
Funny thing about Vodka. If you fill a bottle of Grey Goose with bottom line [censored], girls won't know. They will still think it's Grey Goose. They will say things like "oh, it's so smooth." Very funny to watch.

jakethebake
04-15-2005, 03:34 AM
Oh yeah, that 0.5% alcohol makes all the difference. [censored] moron. You would know a good beer if I drowned you in an admixture of said good beer and my stale semen.

Ianco15
04-15-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For the people saying Pabst Blue Ribbon, you all apparently haven't tried "Charles Reibenbach"

$3.99 for a 12 pack in albertsons, vons, etc.

This stuff is so bad you can't even beer bong it without gagging.

[/ QUOTE ]
Never tried it (don't want to). Pabst is very bad too, though. I wonder what makes a good beer good. Different levels of hopps, perhaps?

jakethebake
04-15-2005, 03:38 AM
Far more complexity than hopps, but that is one major component. A really "good" beer is a living organism---take Avery's "Old Jubilation." When released, it is a relatively generic winter beer, many people like it, no real strong opinions. Keep it somewhere dark, chill and serve ten months later. The rough edges are smooth, it has taken on a richer, more lingering character. You don't have to be a beer snob to appreciate this, and you don't have to blow 12 dollars a bottle on Westvleteran. (Which isn't blowing it, but probably is if your goal is get-drunk-quick-and-go-flirt-with-skanky-college-girls).

scotty34
04-15-2005, 03:53 AM
The amount of hops in a beer is what changes the alcohol content. The flavour of the beer is determined by many factors including type of hops, how darkly roasted the hops were, fermentation process and length, additional flavoring such as fruits or honey, type of yeast used etc.

ethan
04-15-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All of it. I hate beer.

[/ QUOTE ]
A wine man, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A Grey Goose man, eh? That's good [censored]. Absolute is great aswell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy a handle of Fris. You'll thank me.

Usually $18 per 1.75L, and when it's chilled it's not far at all from the better $25/750ml vodkas. Absolut is swill, you're paying for marketing.

ethan
04-15-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ethan speaks truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always do, jake. I always do.

The world would be a better place if everyone took my advice on booze.

And while I'm on the subject of my advice - you beer fans should check out the Alesmith brewery. I can vouch for the Speedway Stout, Old Numbskull (barleywine), and Horny Devil (Belgian ale). All superlative. The stout and barleywine in particular are among the best I've ever had.

blatz
04-15-2005, 04:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My vote goes to Blatz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, sometimes I wonder what my momma was thinking when she gave me that name.

Ianco15
04-15-2005, 04:16 AM
I'll give it s try. I don't think Absolut is swill, though.

jason_t
04-15-2005, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ethan speaks truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

And while I'm on the subject of my advice - you beer fans should check out the Alesmith brewery. I can vouch for the Speedway Stout, Old Numbskull (barleywine), and Horny Devil (Belgian ale). All superlative. The stout and barleywine in particular are among the best I've ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you shop?

jakethebake
04-15-2005, 04:21 AM
I am pretty sure have had their horny devil, I will look into the rest of the line---I'm always in the market for a good barleywine.

Jason---you live in Ohio, so I can't help you. Find a good beer store (someone with 600++ varieties on offer). Ask them to get things they don't carry now. If they carry a lot of smaller lines, chances are their distributors can pick up a case of some pretty esoteric stuff. And the people who work in those sorts of places love good beer, or learn to, and are often a good source of advice.

ethan
04-15-2005, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll give it s try. I don't think Absolut is swill, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, "swill" might be a bit much /images/graemlins/smile.gif Rather, it's overpriced for what it is. There's better vodka to be had in that price range, and some better that's significanly cheaper. I have an axe to grind re: Absolut since so many people think it's great and I disagree with them.

jason_t
04-15-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure have had their horny devil, I will look into the rest of the line---I'm always in the market for a good barleywine.

Jason---you live in Ohio, so I can't help you. Find a good beer store (someone with 600++ varieties on offer). Ask them to get things they don't carry now. If they carry a lot of smaller lines, chances are their distributors can pick up a case of some pretty esoteric stuff. And the people who work in those sorts of places love good beer, or learn to, and are often a good source of advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Ohio? Yikes!

jakethebake
04-15-2005, 04:24 AM
You don't live in Ohio?

I guess I'm confusing you with some other mildly-witty emo-ed out poster. Apologies.

jason_t
04-15-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't live in Ohio?

I guess I'm confusing you with some other mildly-witty emo-ed out poster. Apologies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm emo-ed out? Yikes!

Actually, I don't even know what that means.

blatz
04-15-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The worst beer I've ever tasted is National Bohemian, aka "Natty Boh". I don't know if this was ever available outside Baltimore, so many of you may never have had the...ummm...pleasure...of tasting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

National Bohemian, like all local shwag, is not about taste, it's about a feeling, the whole vibe of the thing, if i may. Natty 'Boh had both a cheer and a dapper looking cartoon character who has had a profound influence on my sense of style.

And anybody who can't find joy walking through the crumbling ruins of Baltimore singing:

National Beer. National Beer.
We love the taste of National Beer.
And as we cheer, we're proud to say...
It's brewed on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay.
has no sense of perspective.

Eartha Kitt's rendition of the Schaeffer song, with perhaps the greatest beer tag phrase ever, still has me pick up the occasional 6 pack:

Schaeffer is the one beer to have
When your having more than one

Eternally unbeatable

ethan
04-15-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ethan speaks truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you shop?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Wine House on Cotner, between Pico and Olympic. On rare occasions when I make it down towards Costa Mesa, Hi Time Wine Cellars. The other respectable liquor store near us is Wally's on Westwood, where I haven't spent much time. They have a good liquor selection, including some medium-high-end stuff you won't find at the other places. (A fair amount of $150 tequila etc.) I haven't spent enough time at Wally's to compare their wine selection to that at The Wine House, but I've been happy with TWH in that respect so far. Their staff also tends to be more useful than that at HTWC.

Also, I have a PM from you to which I thought I'd replied but I hadn't. I'll get on that now.

jakethebake
04-15-2005, 04:28 AM
Okay, I just confused you with someone else twice. You live in California. You are interested in good beer.

Late night. Apologies.

jason_t
04-15-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I just confused you with someone else twice. You live in California. You are interested in good beer.

Late night. Apologies.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. I live in Los Angeles and I am interested in good beer. But what is emo-ed out?

jakethebake
04-15-2005, 04:35 AM
Emo-ed out more or less, read any/all of Jack of Arcades posts. Horrible mix-up, again, apologies. Its bedtime over here in eastern daylight time.

StacysMom
04-15-2005, 05:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Natural Light.

[/ QUOTE ]

plaster8
04-15-2005, 05:21 AM
I can't believe nobody in this thread has mentioned Bull Ice yet. That's the "ice" version of Schlitz Malt Liquor. It's awful, but it was like 75 cents for a 22 in college, so it was the choice when you were scraping up change from the couch cushions for beer.

(The worst I ever tasted, in the non-commercial category, was my roommate's home brew. It probably would have been decent, but he didn't rinse out the bottles well enough after he washed them. It was like drinking Dawn.)

Corey
04-15-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The amount of hops in a beer is what changes the alcohol content

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, no. The amount of alcohol is a measure of the difference between original and final gravity. This is basically a measure of the density of the brew.

Secondary (or tertiary depending on the brewing steps) occurs in the bottle. It happens when priming sugar is added to the brew. Thus, all carbonation is a result of secondary fermenation. This process also releases alcohol. formula:

C6H12O6 => 2(CH3CH2OH) + 2(CO2)

Hops act as (1) a flavoring balance (or the source fo Flavor if you're Stone) and (2) a natural preservaive the allows longer aging processes.

Also, can you confirm that hops are unable to grow in Canada? I don't know any other reason why non-Belgian style beers from there has zero hop presence.

Ulysses
04-15-2005, 06:16 AM
This thread has been done before. The correct answer is Cool Colt - mint-flavored Colt 45.

partygirluk
04-15-2005, 06:24 AM
Carling

Reef
04-15-2005, 07:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Papst Blue Ribbon Beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rhone
04-15-2005, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread has been done before.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's true, then sorry.

[ QUOTE ]
The correct answer is Cool Colt - mint-flavored Colt 45.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds pretty sick. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rhone
04-15-2005, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The worst beer I've ever tasted is National Bohemian, aka "Natty Boh". I don't know if this was ever available outside Baltimore, so many of you may never have had the...ummm...pleasure...of tasting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

National Bohemian, like all local shwag, is not about taste, it's about a feeling, the whole vibe of the thing, if i may. Natty 'Boh had both a cheer and a dapper looking cartoon character who has had a profound influence on my sense of style.

And anybody who can't find joy walking through the crumbling ruins of Baltimore singing:

National Beer. National Beer.
We love the taste of National Beer.
And as we cheer, we're proud to say...
It's brewed on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay.
has no sense of perspective.

Eartha Kitt's rendition of the Schaeffer song, with perhaps the greatest beer tag phrase ever, still has me pick up the occasional 6 pack:

Schaeffer is the one beer to have
When your having more than one

Eternally unbeatable

[/ QUOTE ]

You may all get a sense of Blatz's sense of style here (http://www.nationalbohemian.com/). /images/graemlins/grin.gif

(You're not this guy (http://www.nationalbohemian.com/archives/halloween/Boh%2003.JPG), are you?)

maryfield48
04-15-2005, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That has become abundantly clear.

on_thg
04-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Back in my undergrad days, you could actually buy six packs of "generic" beer -- you know, the plain white cans, with nothing other than the word "Beer" and a UPC code on them. You could get the stuff for $1.99 or less for a six pack.

Awful, yes, but it was still better than Carling Black Label or Lowenbrau.

We also drank a fair amount of Stroh's, which was pretty bad. Definitely worse than Pabst or Old Style.

I'd say Stroh's, just barely over Carling. Fire-brewed Stroh's had the worst aftertaste ever and was positively undrinkable when it was anything close to warm.

BadBoyBenny
04-15-2005, 09:14 AM
PBR

Rick Diesel
04-15-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is known as "The Beast"

InchoateHand
04-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Miller Lite

InchoateHand
04-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Has Lone Star been mentioned? Pearl?

Slow Play Ray
04-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Haven't read any replies, but without a doubt the worst beer I've ever had is Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic. It only comes in the winter holiday pack. I've only met one person ever who liked it.

InchoateHand
04-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Black Label? Stagg? Mickey's?

kevyk
04-15-2005, 09:30 AM
In college I was once at a party where the hosts started off serving Beast, then found a cheaper beer , something called Meisterbrau.

I have never seen it since, but it was worse than Beast.

kevyk
04-15-2005, 09:33 AM
The Dutch regard Heineken as a student beer. If they want something good, they drink Grolsch.

IndieMatty
04-15-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no worse beer than Heineken. It has millions fooled.

kevyk
04-15-2005, 09:39 AM
European beers >> Canadian Beers

Hey, at least you're second-best.

Rushmore
04-15-2005, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In college I was once at a party where the hosts started off serving Beast, then found a cheaper beer , something called Meisterbrau.

I have never seen it since, but it was worse than Beast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your experience and mine are identical, except you must substitute when I was a bum who lived on the streets, I used to consume a case of the Beast between bottles of Thunderbird for the first part.

$4.99 a case wasn't good enough? We had to better-deal the Beast for Meisterbrau at $4.69? That doesn't seem right.

Anyway, the Beast was awful, but made Meisterbrau taste like Dom Perignon.

kevyk
04-15-2005, 09:42 AM
That's right, they went there.

Rushmore
04-15-2005, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PBR

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, Frank Booth.

kevyk
04-15-2005, 09:45 AM
This is totally ass-backward.

Hops are for flavoring, nothing more. The alcohol is produced when yeast consumes sugars in the germinated barley and excretes alcohol.

beerbandit
04-15-2005, 09:53 AM
natural ice

south paw -- i think i was allergic to something in this one

cheers

beerbandit
04-15-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Milwaukee's Best sucks pretty hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

never

Rushmore
04-15-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that American beer is crap.

But I was at the golf course after a round the other day, and they had no Bass or Harp or Guiness or Corona or Tecate or anything actually consumable at all, really (they DID have Heineken), so I had a Sam Adams, which I hadn't consumed for maybe five years, and....

...it.......was......really..........GOOD.

I gotta admit when I'm wrong, and I was wrong. Sam Adams is a fine beer.

beerbandit
04-15-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
drink anything but Bud for the first two weeks

[/ QUOTE ]

bud is better in canada

mostsmooth
04-15-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bud Light

[/ QUOTE ]

Pocket Trips
04-15-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure someone knows better than me ... assuming you even care ... but as I recall "Old Style" is Heilmann's crap brew that they market in Chicago. The slogan used to be "it's our beer and they can't have it", or something like that. My response was always "I don't want it", so there was no harm/no foul.

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon Millwaukee's Best AKA "THE BEAST" rules!!!!!!!!

We used to drink the beast Ice in college. 5.6% alccohol content and just $10 a 30 pack.. quantity over quality at all times! only problem with the beat was thatit always gave you a case of "The milwaukee Mud" the next day.

btw the beast is brewed my miller brewing

mostsmooth
04-15-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure, MGD sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is far from the truth. MGD is the best

Pocket Trips
04-15-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heineken is my hands down favorite mainstream lager.

I think the haters just dont have the palate(sp?) for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the words of the once great Eddie Murphy "you can aquire a taste for [censored] if you ate it enough"

moondogg
04-15-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I agree that American beer is crap.

But I was at the golf course after a round the other day, and they had no Bass or Harp or Guiness or Corona or Tecate or anything actually consumable at all....

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I catch a "Corona" in there?

Rushmore
04-15-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you did.

I drink a fair amount of beer when I'm drinking a fair amount of beer, if you follow.

And when I'm drinking a fair amount of beer, I need a go-to beer that will not make me gag, will not go flat immediately upon opening, and will not hang me over if I should have ten or more. Corona fills the position.

Pocket Trips
04-15-2005, 10:25 AM
worst beer ever? hands down it has to be Olympia> It had a slogan on the can that said "It's the water" I think it actually was just recycled piss from people drinking real beer. It was like water with a slight beer after taste, Kinda like coors light. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shajen
04-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Just replying here for laziness purposes /images/graemlins/grin.gif

For those in the military, any of you ever drink Beer brand beer?

That shizzzzz was rancid.
Came in two colors, blue and red. Blue was the "light" version. Yeah, Beer Light Beer, brought to you by the department of redundancy department.

Ugh.

However, the correct answer is Heineken. It tastes like someone drank a shitty microbrew, did a shot of tequila, drank some coffee, then pissed in the empty bottle, chilled it, and served.

Ugh. Apparently, some say Heineken in Europe is better than the States. This I believe, but refuse to validate. Horsepiss in a green bottle.

The best beer I've ever had was Victoria's 4X in Cairnes, Australia. I don't know if it truly tastes good or what, but after not having a drop of alcohol for 60+ days, it was the best.

adamstewart
04-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Red Dog.

Also, there was some German "white beer" that I had that was HORRIBLE. Name escpaes me as well.

Adam

CORed
04-15-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, Genny Ice is the worst beer I see regularly around here. That stuff is truly foul, and I don't even mind crappy beer if somebody else paid for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

2planka
04-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Hamms

InchoateHand
04-15-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hamms

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh. Nice late entry!

CORed
04-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Actually, there is a lot of decent beer made in America, mostly microbrews. The major brands, though, are mostly crap. Bud is about the only one of them I care much for, and it's way too watery. Light beer is an absolute scam. They take some crappy American industrial pilsner, which is already way to watery, and water it down some more, and charge just as much for it as for real beer.

nolanfan34
04-15-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hamms

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh. Nice late entry!

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. Hamms is exempt since they are the only beer company I know of that used to have CARTOON commercials. They're like the Camel of beers.

PokerNoob
04-15-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hamms

[/ QUOTE ]

From the land of clear blue waters.....

LoaferGee12
04-15-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Papst Blue Ribbon Beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happened to be the first beer I had too. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

CORed
04-15-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you did. I would challenge anybody to distinguish Corona from MGD in a blind taste test.

InchoateHand
04-15-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes you did. I would challenge anybody to distinguish Corona from MGD in a blind taste test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that either is good, but this is clearly incorrect. They taste nothing alike.

nolanfan34
04-15-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hamms

[/ QUOTE ]

From the land of clear blue waters.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hamms, the beer refreshing
Hamms, the beer refreshing
HAMMS!!!!

http://40ouncebeer.com/pics24/hamms.JPG

hogua
04-15-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meisterbrau

[/ QUOTE ]

jason_t
04-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Josef Hoffbauer beer

Roy Munson
04-15-2005, 06:17 PM
As a resident of the "Land of Pleasant Living" for the last 37 years I am very familiar with Natty Boh.

The Natty Boh of recent vintage is far less noxious than when it was still brewed locally by the National Brewing Company.
The aftertaste that you speak of was quite overwhelming and distinctive.

I nominate a few others in addition to Natty Boh:

Piels Real Draft
The Good Taste of Beer(this is really the brand name)
Red White and Blue
Miller Lite (any light beer for that matter)