PDA

View Full Version : QQ sucks

Taraz
04-15-2005, 12:45 AM
I saw the other QQ posts today and I figured I'd add my hand too.

Sorry, I don't have the hand history, but I was playing a 10+1 at Party and the blinds were 15/30. I was in middle position with QQ, 2 people limped, and a third raised to 130 chips. Now I was thinking about raising it to about 350 or so, but I had just read that if you're going to raise 35% of your stack you should just push so I pushed. AK called and you can guess what happened since I'm posting this.

I guess I'm just wondering if that 35% rule works this early in a sng. I mean, if I had raised to 300 or so and then pushed the flop of rags, AK would've folded probably. I would call if someone pushes preflop, but it just seems like if an A or K had come on the flop I would've folded. I would have had about 400 chips left in level 2 and I feel that I can come back from that . . . Or maybe I should stop bitching my most recent 10+1 loss /images/graemlins/confused.gif

TruFloridaGator
04-15-2005, 12:47 AM
You can do both. Call the raise or push. Both are solid IMHO. I do like the push a bit better, stupid coin flips /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Blarg
04-15-2005, 01:17 AM
Same thing happened to me just a couple minutes ago. My QQ re-raised all-in a AQ offsuit. An ace flops. LOL as I write this it happens for the third time that QQ kills me early in just an hour -- someone went all in against my 3 BB raise with A7 offsuit, and got an ace on the last card. *sigh* Still in the game, but a crippled stack now.

I think you lose a lot with this push play, especially if you feel you have a good chance of getting into the money by just regular play. But on the other hand, you win a lot, too. I see people betting out even on the first hand in an SNG, from early position, with medium pairs much more than I would think they would. They also will do so with things like, well, the AQo that beat me, or tangle with you with any ace, like just happeneed now. Unfortunately, you can lose many hands in a row even when you have an advantage. But on the whole, getting all the money in the middle when you have the best hand seems to be a situation you want in poker. After that, it's just a matter between you and your many-tentacled, tequila-pickled god.

What you win is some chips, but what you lose is the whole tourney. If you call a decent sized raise, though, you have to push so that people aren't getting proper odds to call if they don't already have the best hand. I'm a SNG newbie who doesn't know crap, though, but that's how I'm seeing it anyway.

john_
04-15-2005, 01:59 AM
I don't like QQ either, I lost three times on the bubble today with this hand...but that's poker...

citanul
04-15-2005, 02:06 AM
so you got all your money in as a favorite and lost...
uh, yeah. sorry, but this just isn't sympathy engendering.

a raise here to 350 is either too small or too big, depending on your plans for the hand. pushing is reasonable, esp if your opponents are going to make a habit of calling with worse hands. sometimes you lose.

someone proposed this new form of holdem where whenever all the money went in, the players got returned the percentage based on their true value of the pot. that idea was stupid. so is whining when you lose qq v ak.

citanul