PDA

View Full Version : ARod saves boy's life.

jesusarenque
04-15-2005, 12:42 AM
Now THAT is clutch.

BOSTON -- For the first time in his Yankees career, Alex Rodriguez was cheered in Boston, but it had nothing to do with anything he did on the baseball field.

Rodriguez risked his life Wednesday to save an 8-year-old boy from getting hit by a fast-moving truck on Newbury Street, the boy's father, Joe McCarthy, said last night. As fate would have it, the boy, Patrick, is a diehard Yankees fan living in Red Sox Nation.

"I can't express enough gratitude," Joe McCarthy said. "He saved my son's life."

Rodriguez said he was about to enter a car when he noticed a truck heading in his direction and quickly decided to step back to protect himself. When he turned around, he saw young Patrick running into the street and directly toward the utility truck. A-Rod said he acted instinctivelyduring the lunchtime incident, grabbing the boy and pulling him back with him.

"I was trying to get out of the way, and the kid was running the other way," Rodriguez said before last night's game against the Red Sox at Fenway Park. "He was about to run into the street and I kind of just put my arm around him. We both almost got run over."

"It was just unbelievable, truly a God moment," Joe McCarthy said from his Martha's Vineyard home. "A-Rod could have been seriously hurt, but that didn't stop him. It was the best catch of his career."

Joe McCarthy said he, Patrick and the boy's mother, Grace Bochicchio, had just left a Niketown store in the heart of Boston's downtown shopping district. McCarthy said he was off to the side and didn't see the situation develop, but heard the sound of a screeching truck, "oohs" from the crowd, then cheers. When he looked up, he saw his son in Rodriguez's arms as well as a few stunned expressions from onlookers.

"The kid was running into the street and he was about to get run over by a car," Rodriguez added. "From his vantage point he couldn't see the truck coming."

According to his father, who said he was born and raised in Manhattan, Patrick told Rodriguez how much he followed the Yankees while still in his arms. McCarthy said A-Rod then waved over Yankees players Jorge Posada, Tino Martinez and Randy Johnson, who were nearby leaving the team's hotel, to meet the family.

"It was such an unbelievable scene, especially since we're the only Yankees fans in Martha's Vineyard," McCarthy said. The family is headed to New York this weekend for a grandmother's 70th birthday party and will see the Yankees Monday and Tuesday.

McCarthy estimated that the family goes to about 15 Yankees games a year at the Stadium and said Patrick even received a personal letter from general manager Brian Cashman last week after the boy mailed the Yankees his Little League baseball cards.

"Brian wrote a great letter back and said they're going to keep the cards on file," McCarthy said. "Patrick just keeps saying that when he becomes a pitcher for the Yankees, he hopes Alex is still playing."
link (http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/nyc-sparod0415,0,7931283.story?coll=ny-top-headlines)

Dead
04-15-2005, 12:45 AM
All class, that A-Rod.

What a great guy. Definitely a candidate for my next avatar change.

sublime
04-15-2005, 01:00 AM
to bad the truck didn get both of them

jesusarenque
04-15-2005, 01:05 AM
Did you ever notice how ARod never saved anybody's life before he came to NY? It must be Jeter's leadership, heart, and clutchness rubbing off on him.

siccjay
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO

nothumb
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jesusarenque
04-15-2005, 01:07 AM
to
too
two

tdarko
you will die a horrible death for that comment

ThaSaltCracka
he is still a douche bag and I still hate him.

Jack of Arcades
04-15-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He seems like a shrewd politician. I have no problem with him.

Dead
04-15-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some Yankee fan you are.

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some Yankee fan you are.

[/ QUOTE ]some Yankee fan you are, cheering on the douche boy wonder who ruins teams. I hate A-Rod with a passion, and hope he never wins a ring, which means NY should trade him for two awesome pitchers(some how). Actually, trade him for anything I don't care, just get rid of him.

Dead
04-15-2005, 01:18 AM
He is a great player. I want the Yanks to win championships. And this incident shows that he is a caring person.

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2005, 01:19 AM
phuck him.

Dead
04-15-2005, 01:22 AM
i don't see how someone can be a fan of two different major league teams at the same time anyway. Why don't you just pick between the Mariners and the Yanks?

nothumb
04-15-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He is a great player.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not worth what he's paid, and there are two position players ON THE YANKEES ALONE, maybe even 3, that I'd rather have.

NT

jesusarenque
04-15-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He is a great player.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not worth what he's paid, and there are two position players ON THE YANKEES ALONE, maybe even 3, that I'd rather have.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea what you are talking about. ARod is easily the best player on the Yankees. It is not close.

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2005, 01:33 AM
if I had to pick, it would be the M's, but I won't pick, I love baseball to much, too many teams to root for.

Phoenix1010
04-15-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He is a great player.

[/ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I'd love to hear which three, and why.

-Phoenix

Jack of Arcades
04-15-2005, 01:38 AM
Maybe when including salary. The only players that come close are Posada, Matsui, and Sheffield. Sheff's a butcher, Posada's aging, and Matsui's still only a left fielder.

A-Rod > all.

jesusarenque
04-15-2005, 01:40 AM
Playing for the Yankees, ARod is easily worth the money. NY has the dough to pay him, and he is the best player in the AL. He would be even better if they put him at SS where he belongs.

andyfox
04-15-2005, 01:46 AM
Somone tell me what the odds are of the boy's father being named Joe McCarthy.

I'll let others elaborate.

The Dude
04-15-2005, 01:51 AM
If Satan appeared in mid air and swooped the boy away from the moving truck, would we kiss his ass or would we smell a rat? Remember folks, A-Rod is a Yankee, and all Yankees are evil.

andyfox
04-15-2005, 01:54 AM
"all Yankees are evil."

Lou Gehrig?

The Dude
04-15-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lou Gehrig?

[/ QUOTE ]
Umm, hello?!?! Look at the terrible disease he brought into this world!

jesusarenque
04-15-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lou Gehrig?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahhahaha. that is awesome

andyfox
04-15-2005, 02:11 AM
Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease.

What are the odds?

i wanna be me
04-15-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lou Gehrig?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL awesome!

wonderwes
04-15-2005, 04:22 AM
I rather have Carlos Beltran than Arod.

InchoateHand
04-15-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you ever notice how ARod never saved anybody's life before he came to NY? It must be Jeter's leadership, heart, and clutchness rubbing off on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your play, Brilliant in my opinion.

Aytumious
04-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Don't believe the hype.

shadow29
04-15-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised no one else mentioned this...

James282
04-15-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't see how someone can be a fan of two different major league teams at the same time anyway. Why don't you just pick between the Mariners and the Yanks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because baseball is awesome, and if you watch more games than just your team's games each year, you will innately get a rooting interest for certain teams. I'm a die-hard Mets fan, but I'll still root for the Sox against the Yankees when they are on TV, watch the A's everytime their on, and tune in to root for individual players whom I think are exciting. But it's tough for a Yankees fan to understand that since they have half of the exciting players in the AL on their team /images/graemlins/wink.gif
-James

daryn
04-15-2005, 12:17 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised no one else mentioned this...

[/ QUOTE ]

explain plz

crash
04-15-2005, 12:19 PM
yeah, he really should have seen that one coming.

Today (today.. today.. today) I consider myself (self.. self.. self..)

meep_42
04-15-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant, in my opinion.

-d

meep_42
04-15-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your play, Brilliant in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh ffs, I swear I hadn't read this far yet.

-d

pokerjo22
04-15-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

explain plz

[/ QUOTE ]

Babe Ruth's manager. Or alternatively a senator who liked to route out communists. But I suspect andy is referring to the former.

chaas4747
04-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Beltran plays outfield.

meep_42
04-15-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Beltran plays outfield.

[/ QUOTE ]

ARod plays catcher.

/rimshot

-d

Uglyowl
04-15-2005, 08:09 PM
That was staged... after the slap at the ball AROD had to do something to redeem himself.

Dead
04-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Prove it.

I find it hard to believe that a father would put his kid in harm's way just to make A-Rod look good in Boston.

istewart
04-15-2005, 08:15 PM
AROD worth the $252 milio/ye.

Dead
04-15-2005, 08:19 PM
It's 252 over 10 years. And, yes, he's worth it.

B00T
04-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Vlad &gt; A-Rod

Jack of Arcades
04-15-2005, 11:39 PM
Over the last what, season?

sublime
04-15-2005, 11:41 PM

wrong. not saying he isnt one of the better players in the game, but he is not worth that money.

Dead
04-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Is Manny worth his?

Here's what you fail to understand, sublime.

To most teams, A-Rod would not be worth 252, because they couldn't pay it. But we're talking about the Yanks here. It IS worth it to us, because we can afford it.

Mussina is making 19 mil per year, and he is going to have a great year.

jesusarenque
04-15-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

wrong. not saying he isnt one of the better players in the game, but he is not worth that money.

[/ QUOTE ]

ARod is worth it. He is the best player in the AL, and the Yankees can afford it. Too bad he's not at SS where he belongs.

Dead
04-15-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ARod is worth it. He is the best player in the AL, and the Yankees can afford it. Too bad he's not at SS where he belongs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you suggest Jeter move to 3B instead?

A-Rod is much more versatile defensively than Jeter is. That's why I thought it was better that A-Rod moved to 3B. Another year or so at this position, and he will be a master at it. He's already damned good at it right now.

sublime
04-16-2005, 12:09 AM
Is Manny worth his?

no, and he would not get paid that if he were on the open market. so he is not 'worth it' same as a-rod.

To most teams, A-Rod would not be worth 252, because they couldn't pay it. But we're talking about the Yanks here. It IS worth it to us, because we can afford it.

does that make kevin brown worth what he is getting paid?

Mussina is making 19 mil per year, and he is going to have a great year.

despite evidence constsntly saying otherwise.

i look forward to the nonsense that comes out of your mouth.

Dead
04-16-2005, 12:13 AM
You'd better respect the Moose.

Moose&gt; Wakefield

Moose DEFINITELY &gt; Wells

Moose &gt; Arroyo

and oh yeah, Moose&gt; Miller

And don't rip on Kevin Brown, because you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Look at his ERA+ and era's the past few years. When he's not injured, he's a fantastic pitcher. He was great in 2003, the last year he had where he wasn't injured.

Why do I even bother debating baseball with you? You've said that you would love to debate baseball with someone who knows what they're talking about. I would like the same thing. Unfortunately, I won't get it from you. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

vulturesrow
04-16-2005, 12:20 AM
Did he have on the big white Arbys oven mitt glove on that he used for his cheap shot slap the glove moment?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/prowlerslim/Untitled1.jpg

Jack of Arcades
04-16-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Moose&gt; Wakefield

Moose DEFINITELY &gt; Wells

Moose &gt; Arroyo

and oh yeah, Moose&gt; Miller

[/ QUOTE ]

And all 4 combined make, what? less than Moose?

This is what you do. All the time. People present you with an argument, and then you dodge it by bashing the other poster's organization. It doesn't matter.

andyfox
04-16-2005, 12:25 AM
Probably the greatest manager ever. Managed the Yankees World Championship teams of 1932, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1941 and 1943. And when he left, guess what team he managed? Lost the playoff to Cleveland in 1948 and then had a one game lead over his former team going into the last two games against that team in 1949.

sublime
04-16-2005, 12:36 AM
what does this post have to do with anything?

i give up

crownjules
04-16-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is Manny worth his?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think no one picked up his waivers when the Sox put him up before the '04 season?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why baseball needs a salary cap. The game shouldn't be about who can sign the most big name players because they have the deepest pockets. It should be about who can tool together the best team on a *LEVEL* playing field, and then let the players and coaches and their talent/skill take over from there.

I really can't say that I see Arod as being worth $252 million dollars for 10 years. Overpaying for something doesn't make it worth it.

As for saving a kid, so what? The kid was going to run out into the street and he stuck his arm out to stop him. Good for him, but it's not that special. I would HOPE that he would do that. It's not like he risked life and limb. He wasn't Superman, standing in the way of a two ton vehicle baring down on the boy huddled in the middle of the street.

ThaSaltCracka
04-16-2005, 01:50 AM
pump that [censored] bithces

Jack of Arcades
04-16-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is exactly why baseball needs a salary cap. The game shouldn't be about who can sign the most big name players because they have the deepest pockets. It should be about who can tool together the best team on a *LEVEL* playing field, and then let the players and coaches and their talent/skill take over from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this is that there's virtually no way to indstitute this fairly without massive revenue sharing and cutting player's salaries.

Mike Gallo
04-16-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because baseball is awesome, and if you watch more games than just your team's games each year, you will innately get a rooting interest for certain teams. I'm a die-hard Mets fan, but I'll still root for the Sox against the Yankees when they are on TV, watch the A's everytime their on, and tune in to root for individual players whom I think are exciting. But it's tough for a Yankees fan to understand that since they have half of the exciting players in the AL on their team /images/graemlins/wink.gif
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

James,

All Mets fans root for the Sox against the Yankees.