PDA

View Full Version : 99, the other side of check, call, check, call, bet

BigEndian
04-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Anyone no likie?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: BigEndian is MP1 with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BigEndian raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BigEndian bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BigEndian bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.20 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, BigEndian folds.

Final Pot: 6.20 BB

- Jim

Stack
04-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Why not checking behind on the turn and calling the river? You lose the same amount when you're behind but at least you have a shot at winning if he's bluffing with KQo or QT etc...

Piiop
04-15-2005, 12:09 AM
I like it.

I like the turn bet because players will frequently call the flop bet with very little. If he has something like KQ, QT, or two clubs, I don't want to give free cards. If he calls the turn bet, I'll check behind on the river unless it's a 9.

Chairman Wood
04-15-2005, 12:10 AM
read?

pfkaok
04-15-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
read?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, correct play here could certainly change with a read on the player. If he's very aggressive, then you should check behind on the turn b/c he'd CR here with a flush draw, or maybe even as a straight bluff, and then you'd have to make a bad fold. Also, if he's aggressive he'd probably autobet the river after you check the turn, so it makes the river call really easy.

If he's passive then you have to bet turn, esp if he's tight and has potential to fold a J.

Also, some players will make this river bet with just a missed draw, or very weak hand, so you might have to call this vs. some.

This play is likely correct against an unknown (maybe call river though), but having any type of reads, or stats on the player could easily change the way to play it.

BigEndian
04-15-2005, 08:05 AM
See Piiop's response. Unless I know this player to be tight and reasonable, I need to follow through with a turn bet. Very often a player will call the flop to see if you bet the turn - even with an ace on the board.

- Jim

BigEndian
04-15-2005, 08:09 AM
I agree, a read would make things easier for us. But without one, I think you have to consider the line the opponent took along with what an average player might do and figure that in with the 6-1 I'm getting on the end.

To me this was a fold, but I was curious if this meant something else to other players.

- Jim

Carmine
04-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Good Fold. I also don't like the suggestion to check the turn. The majority of the time they are either just peeling for a miracle, calling down with 77,4x etc., you even get TT to fold to a turn bet. Now if this was a cold-caller a check becomes closer, but even then firing away HU takes it 50% of the time. If not I C/fold the river.

Curious what your river plan was if BB did not bet out.

chesspain
04-15-2005, 09:24 AM
The fold looks good. What struck me is that the flop is relatively drawless, unless the BB had KQ/QT, and even then he might have folded the A-high flop (or may have 3-bet preflop HU w/KQ.). And would the BB be continuing after the flop with a hand like 55?

Consequently, with the pot relatively small on the river, does anyone think that the BB has worse than 99 at least 17% of the time?

BigEndian
04-15-2005, 09:44 AM
I think it's a clear check through on the river. I don't think if I'm called on the end I'm ahead 50% of the time.

- Jim

sfer
04-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Against unknowns I'm willing to get my face wapwned, be the BBs prag, and burn a BB to look him up.

Carmine
04-15-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Against unknowns I'm willing to get my face wapwned, be the BBs prag, and burn a BB to look him up.

[/ QUOTE ]

These west coast dudes have like a whole differnt langauge.

admiralfluff
04-15-2005, 11:06 AM
against an unknown at 5/10 full I would fold here as well. If you KNEW he was a good player, I say raise here about 15% of the time.

ckessel
04-15-2005, 11:20 AM
5/10 is usually out of my range, but seems like spew. With one overcard it'd make more sense, but with two it seems over aggressive.

What's he calling with out of the BB? An ace or a couple broadway cards or perhaps suited semi-connectors of some sort. At the flop you're losing to two different overcards. I don't see him calling the flop with connectors on a rainbow flop, so that leaves us with average broadway cards or some sort of ace. If he has a weak ace or jack, his calldown makes sense. With the river bet an ace becomes more likely as his weak kicker just became irrelevant with the pair of 4's (the common Jack becoming his kicker). In his mind, it's a betting situation to bluff you out or likely split if you call.

If the flop had been A72 rainbow your line looks better as only one overcard matters, but with 2 overcards too many of his likely hands have you beat at the flop. Check behind the turn and fold the river unimproved.