PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Excellent Hand Analyzers

Pringle
11-01-2002, 05:57 PM
I am cross-posting this to the Heads Up and Texas Holdem Theory forums, because my hand contains questions specifically about Heads Up as well as some general Poker Theory questions. I apologize if this is a breach of etiquette.

Please critique my thought process. Thank you.

Heads up Limit Holdem $10 Freezeout match
Stacks start at 400, betting is 10/20
Blinds/Limits do not increase

Stacks are about even

My opponent is a beginner student; Basically, I am trying to teach him to play theoretically, but he still has a ways to go.
He is also beginning to assimilate some core heads up concepts. Onto the hand...

I am on the button (SB) with A5o. I raise, because he will call with almost anything. He calls.

Flop comes A 5 7 rainbow. He bets out.

At this point, I put him on an ace, and raise, figuring that I am a favorite over an ace even by the river, especially since I think he would bet ANY ace. The reason that I think he has an ace is that his flop bet in the face of an ace versus my pre-flop raise seems unlikely without it. Anyway, I'm thinking right now that I want to get as much money in the pot as
possible.

I raise (?!). He calls.

Turn is [A 5 7] 4. No flush possible. He checks, I bet, he calls.

River is the J. He checks, I bet, he calls. I show my two pair, and he shows and mucks his AQo.

Was my button raise correct? Is this hand strong enough heads up? Of course it depends on how many hands they play, but against your "average" aggressive teen? Against your "average" tight pro?

Was my flop raise insane? Or does my notion that he would at some point come back at me or check-raise have some merit? (I mean that I think he will come back at me with enough hands that I beat that I will profit or suck out enough for value.)

How is my river bet? Does it have value? FWIW, I didn't think he was on a draw, based on past betting patterns.

Are any of these questions even answerable by someone who hasn't played this player?

Ah, this mind game called heads up poker.

Thanks.

Pringle

"I'm not done, and I won't be 'till my head falls off" - John Linnell, TMBG

Andy B
11-01-2002, 09:23 PM
Raising on the button with any Ace is pretty standard in a heads-up game. I would open with a raise with that hand against any opponent more or less every time. That he bet into you on the flop is a little odd. Most players will go for a check-raise in this situation rather than bet out most of the time. The only reason not to raise is if you decide it's better to wait and pop it on the turn. Myself, I bet and raise so much early in a hand that I may as well raise when I actually have something. Your two pair is very strong. Of course your river bet has value. Why wouldn't your hand be good? Two pair holds up all the time in full games; why wouldn't it hold up heads-up?

Your "average tight pro" isn't going to be playing tight heads-up. You've got to play pretty loose in a heads-up situation, and pros who don't adjust well to short-handed games avoid them (otherwise they couldn't be pros anymore).

From his standpoint, I would have gotten another bet or two in at some point. I usually three-bet pre-flop with AQ heads-up, and I probably would three-bet the flop or check-raise the turn.

You're teaching this guy, are you? What exactly are you teaching him?

Ikke
11-03-2002, 08:20 AM

11-05-2002, 12:04 AM
Any Ace heads up is a raise. I might raise the flop but chances are I would wait to raise the river to gain an extra big bet. As for your river bet, of course it has value, you have aces up. Having never played freeze outs and only ring, I don't know if conserving chips by playing AQ like a six year old school girl is correct, but against me you would have face a three bet and a little more heat on the flop and turn. It was unlucky for you your opponent was so passive. Was this game played for real money? Is this guy paying you to teach him? If so, how did you hoodwink him?