PDA

View Full Version : Titleist 905T

Perseus
04-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Best. Driver. Ever.

If any of you guys golf a lot demo this puppy next time you're at the range. list price 499. I believe Els started using it recently

doughhater
04-14-2005, 11:07 PM
I was actually thinking of picking up the 905S instead of the T whenever they became available in LH. I am currently hitting the 983K in an 8.5 and I just hit it a little too high. Have you hit the K, and can you compare the two?

nolanfan34
04-14-2005, 11:12 PM
I've seen the ads for it. I want to hit the Taylor Made rQuad thing too.

Evan
04-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Haven't had a chance to try one yet. I just checked out the Titleist website, I'm not thrilled with the stock shaft options. I'd be way more excited if I could get a ProForce in it.

JTrout
04-14-2005, 11:23 PM
I've hit them both. I preferred the Taylor Made.
Finding the right shaft is the key.

Evan
04-14-2005, 11:23 PM
the r7 Quad is easily the longest driver I've ever hit. I never had a chance to hit the tour model that came with different shafts, so I wasn't really in love with it because the Taylor Made shaft is pretty weak/light. If I could get one with a heavier/stiffer shaft it would very possibly be the best driver on the market.

nolanfan34
04-14-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Finding the right shaft is the key.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had custom fit clubs of any kind, and I don't even know what kind of shaft I should have. Probably the main thing I need to do this summer when I replace my Titleist irons eventually.

Perseus
04-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Depends on swing speed. Talk to a golf pro about it, but I understood it as a stiff shaft gives more power IF you have enough swing speed.

Perseus
04-14-2005, 11:28 PM
I was using my friends 983K before this one, and the 905T is about 10 times better IMO, but these things change for everyone.

I've never hit the ball so far and straight in my life.

Evan
04-14-2005, 11:40 PM
There's a lot more to it than swing speed. Swing plane has a lot to do with it because it will affect club head acceleration. Shot shape is also very important for picking the right shaft.

To Nolanfan:
You should definitely look into getting the right shafts. It's not quite as important in your irons as it is in your driver, though of course it will help. The shaft is seriously the most important part of the club.

mcb
04-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Such a sexy driver.

JTrout
04-14-2005, 11:44 PM
My 1,000th post! /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

This is the time of year many courses are having "Demo Day"s. Very good for trying lots of stuff(shafts).

As for as irons, most of the discount golf shops (Pro Golf, Ed Watts, etc.) have a fitting system thingy.
You know- with 30 different 5 irons. Different lies, shafts, etc.
Take advantage. No nets. Take them to the range. Find out what length, lie, stiffness works best for you.

Buy whatever iron head you like best, with these specs.

PS. if your old irons ain't broke,......

nolanfan34
04-14-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To Nolanfan:
You should definitely look into getting the right shafts. It's not quite as important in your irons as it is in your driver, though of course it will help. The shaft is seriously the most important part of the club.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have stiff shafts in my irons, and I think they're fine. I have never, ever, hit a driver consistently well in my life. And I have never had a graphite shaft that I've felt comfortable with.

My main goal in golf is to get down to a single digit handicap. I'm about a 12-13 now, and only that low because my short game and putting save me a lot of strokes. I think I probably will have to invest in a good custom fit driver if I ever want to really get comfortable and consistent with that club.

I need more lessons as well.

nolanfan34
04-14-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PS. if your old irons ain't broke,......

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, you're the golf pro, I hope you'll answer this. My iron shafts, and some of my woods too, have rust spots on the shaft. Mostly from the damp/wet weather in the NW, and not taking good enough care of my clubs after a round, I admit.

Should I bother getting the shafts replaced?

JTrout
04-14-2005, 11:53 PM
You gotta play more!
A little steel wool, a little WD-40, and you should be good to go.
If the rust has gotten bad/deep/through the chrome, you may need to replace them. But I wouldn't replace them until the first head flew off! (yes i'm serious)

If your really itching to replace them, I can cut you a 2+2 discount! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Evan
04-14-2005, 11:53 PM
One thing you may want to think about is getting an older driver. I am still using a 975J w/ a stiff ProForce 65. I wanted to buy the 983E when it came out, but I just didn't like it as much. I probably hit it about 10 yards further, but it was significantly harder to control. I messed around with that, the 975K (which I couldn't seem to not hit really high) and one of the Taylor Mades that was out at the time (which only came w/ a stock Taylor Made shaft, which means it sucked). In the end, I was willing to give up 5-10 yards to hit 3 or 4 more fairways and not have to hit the ball straight up in the air.

nolanfan34
04-15-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I probably hit it about 10 yards further, but it was significantly harder to control.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what, you were bangin' it out there like 180, 190?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Eurotrash
04-15-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Best. Driver. Ever.

If any of you guys golf a lot demo this puppy next time you're at the range. list price 499. I believe Els started using it recently

[/ QUOTE ]

nice. I actually was thinking about making a post inquiring about this very club a few days ago, I'm glad you posted this. I've been wanting to demo this bad boy.

certainly like what I hear about it so far /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Evan
04-15-2005, 12:10 AM
I was waiting for this response.

If edtost comes across this thread, hopefully he can tell you about a quote from our high school golf coach in a newspaper once, corroborating my "consistent 300 yd. drives."

Honestly though, 270-275 is probably about my average if I have a few days to hit balls (which I haven't had in a while living in NYC).

nolanfan34
04-15-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly though, 270-275 is probably about my average if I have a few days to hit balls (which I haven't had in a while living in NYC).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha, I believe you. If I didn't make that response, someone would have. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had a friend in college who played on the women's golf team, and played in an LPGA event here in WA (I think I might have posted this before). She's like 5'2" or 5'3" I think, and she was outdriving Jill McGill and the other pro all day long.

I would take 225 on a consistent basis. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bd8802
04-15-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Haven't had a chance to try one yet. I just checked out the Titleist website, I'm not thrilled with the stock shaft options. I'd be way more excited if I could get a ProForce in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Titleist Speeder shaft is awesome. You should try it.

Evan
04-15-2005, 12:47 AM
Worst. Shaft. Ever.

On the flip side, def. the best marketing ploy ever.

The Titleist version of the Speeder is extremely awkward. It has too much weight in the tip, which also makes it this really weird brand of tip stiff. Basically, its a stripped down version of the 757 that is a combination of the Speeder's difficulty to hit and the Titleist shaft's crapiness.

I don't mean to be condecending; if it works for you, that's all that matters. Most people, however, think they're buying the same shaft that pros use and feel cool because of it. IMO, the ProForce 65/75 and the YS-7 do everything the Titleist Speeder tries to do, but much better and with a much much better feel.

JTrout
04-15-2005, 01:46 AM
http://www.leaderboardgolf.com/grafalloyprolite35lg.JPG

on_thg
04-15-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would take 225 on a consistent basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming soon ... the "how far do you drive it" poll thread...

1C5
04-15-2005, 10:55 AM
I didn't try that but I like the R7 quad in extra stiff shaft.

Does anyone have a guide as to what flex of shaft you should get if you know your swing speed?

I have a 120 MPH or so swing speed, would I want the stiff or extra stiff shaft?

edtost
04-15-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If edtost comes across this thread, hopefully he can tell you about a quote from our high school golf coach in a newspaper once, corroborating my "consistent 300 yd. drives."

[/ QUOTE ]

She was wierd. Andrew has the article framed and on his wall back home, since it was actually about him.

jnalpak
04-15-2005, 11:13 AM
983K 8.5 owns...

Evan
04-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Matching shaft stiffness to swing speed is not a particularly hard thing to do. Matching the other characteristics of a shaft to your shot shape and feel is. If you're going to shell out $500 on a driver, you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice to get the company's stock shaft imo. Pretty much any driver today can ship direct from the factory w/ a variety of shafts that are much, much better than the one the manufacturer makes, or has made, for it.

Evan
04-15-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
She was wierd.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea.

[ QUOTE ]
Andrew has the article framed and on his wall back home, since it was actually about him.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I'm not mistaken, I think I had about an equal-sized portion of that article (if it was the firt one of the year talking about #1 and #2 etc., that bastard just got the picture).

JTrout
04-15-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a guide as to what flex of shaft you should get if you know your swing speed?

I have a 120 MPH or so swing speed, would I want the stiff or extra stiff shaft?

[/ QUOTE ]

extra stiff is most likely right for you.
There are guidelines for swing speed / shaft flex.

However, they are somewhat like starting hand charts in poker. There are many different ones. They vary depending on other conditions.

The best way to cut to the chase is to test drive. Preferably several side by side.

Make your best swing. Observe results.
If you find yourself trying to "get around on it", "keep it down", "hit it higher" or "keep it from going left",....

it is the wrong club for you.

edtost
04-15-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Titleist version of the Speeder is extremely awkward. It has too much weight in the tip, which also makes it this really weird brand of tip stiff. Basically, its a stripped down version of the 757 that is a combination of the Speeder's difficulty to hit and the Titleist shaft's crapiness.

I don't mean to be condecending; if it works for you, that's all that matters. Most people, however, think they're buying the same shaft that pros use and feel cool because of it. IMO, the ProForce 65/75 and the YS-7 do everything the Titleist Speeder tries to do, but much better and with a much much better feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm a shaft masochist, and even i hate this thing. god i wish i still had my old 975d/proforce75 combo...

Perseus
04-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Yeah I'm glad I knew nothing about the driver before I tried it.

I just started really trying to play alot this spring, and I havn't had time to really look into which driver I was going to buy. I just asked the guy at the desk for a 983k (the only one I've been told to try), they were out, and he gave me this one.

I walked up to the tee, took my normal swing, and whacked the ball long and straight. I'm glad I didn't hear any "hype" before I tried it, and I had no idea how much it was or what kind of reviews it got until I came back to the clubhouse. I think if I had it might have adjusted my psychology with "well I'm supposed to hit it far so let's really go at it"

holeplug
04-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Does anyone have any opinions on the iron sets that are available now? I used to have an old Mizuno set that I really liked but I have no idea whats good anymore since I haven't played in about 6 years.

edtost
04-15-2005, 12:59 PM
i have a set of mizuno blades (mp33's) that rule, but are a couple of seasons old. their new stuff seems pretty sweet too.

nolanfan34
04-15-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have a set of mizuno blades (mp33's) that rule, but are a couple of seasons old. their new stuff seems pretty sweet too.

[/ QUOTE ]

The MX-23's get great reviews. I just can't pull the trigger on $600 for new irons, yet.

gvibes
04-15-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any opinions on the iron sets that are available now? I used to have an old Mizuno set that I really liked but I have no idea whats good anymore since I haven't played in about 6 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mizuno still makes a lot of nice clubs. Mp32 or 37 blades, MP30 "player cavities," or whatever is the latest MX.

edtost
04-15-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The MX-23's get great reviews. I just can't pull the trigger on $600 for new irons, yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

find a store that carries used clubs. paying for new ones is a ripoff, they don't change that much from year to year. some idiot will likely have traded in something almost new from last season that you'll like.

JTrout
04-15-2005, 05:53 PM
There is one alternative.(I had to edit. screw it. can't get url to work. it looks like mx23 /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)(the http is www. proswing.com/pages/Iaa.pshome.asp) (about 7th club down)
3-PW (heads only) cost $96 + shipping. 8 True Temper DG s300 shafts cost about $70. Grips $16. Ferrules $3.

I am in no way affiliated with this (or any other) company.

Just want you to be aware that there are many good choices, and the key is in a proper fitting.

I made this (http://www.golfsmith.com/products/2468?cseq=~C284598&fcst=GSI_WEB) set for myself a month ago.
The heads were a little longer (from heel to toe) than I like, but I'd have as much confidence with these clubs as a brand new set of Titleists (which I play).

gvibes
04-17-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is one alternative.(I had to edit. screw it. can't get url to work. it looks like mx23 /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)(the http is www. proswing.com/pages/Iaa.pshome.asp) (about 7th club down)
3-PW (heads only) cost $96 + shipping. 8 True Temper DG s300 shafts cost about $70. Grips $16. Ferrules $3.

I am in no way affiliated with this (or any other) company.

Just want you to be aware that there are many good choices, and the key is in a proper fitting.

I made this (http://www.golfsmith.com/products/2468?cseq=~C284598&fcst=GSI_WEB) set for myself a month ago.
The heads were a little longer (from heel to toe) than I like, but I'd have as much confidence with these clubs as a brand new set of Titleists (which I play).

[/ QUOTE ]

I just saw those tour cavities yesterday as I was browsing through my golfsmith catalog. They look pretty sweet.

I bought a pretty much unused set of KZG blades for ~270. I really want the new KZG ZO blades, but I don't think I can justify spending money on golf clubs this summer (well, I already bought a new - used - putter, and I'm experimenting with some new grips, and I want to upgrade to Project X 6.0's, but...).

bd8802
04-17-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The combination of the 3.0 torque + the high kick point makes it a good shalf for me. Some people would have trouble working the ball with this combination, but i really do not have that much trouble with it.

I have not swung the ProForce but I have never liked the YS-7. The kick point on it just does not work for my swing, and it is really a noodle like shaft. One of my golfing buddies that generates alot less clubhead speed loves the YS-7. The mid-high kick point gives him the extra trajectory help that he needs.

Do give you some idea, my old 975D has a ProLite 35-S in it. Having a uber-stiff shalf does not bother me at all.

I do know that if I get a 905X this summer I will probably hit all the shalfs again, but it will take a lot to get me to swich from the Fujikura.